Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Aug 29, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #5,326 of 10,554
Hi all
I'd like to tell you of my experience with the Mojo 2.
I bought it a week ago on the hope it would be a significant upgrade from my Xduoo XD05 plus. First impressions were great, not as good as my desktop dac/amp (to be expected), but really, really good for a small portable device. I listen to hi res files through media monkey on my android phone. After a while I noticed a faint crackle/pop noise as though the files were ripped from Vinyl, which upon replying the same track occurred at different points. These noises only happen on the mojo, through any source (phone or laptop) and through all 3 of my available usb cables.
Unfortunately once I heard this I couldn't "unhear" and it irritated the hell outta me. Today I returned the mojo to the shop for a refund.

I'm not sure how my experience aligns with the "white noise" issue people have described in previous posts.

On the plus side, the past week has re-ignited my passion for music. I'm definitely due an upgrade from the Xduoo, may have a look at the gryphon, or new Topping. If Chord were to release a Mojo 2.1 one day, with current issues addressed (and even a usb c charging port) it would almost certainly be too tempting for me to pass on.

Andy

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #5,327 of 10,554
After a while I noticed a faint crackle/pop noise as though the files were ripped from Vinyl
Sounds like an EMI/Shielding problem, I remember hearing similar pops with EarMen Sparrow and returned it after some time, definitely very annoying. I don't remember seeing users complain about pops so maybe a defective unit?
If Chord were to release a Mojo 2.1
Looking at Chords upgrade cycle, It will probably take +5 years for a new Mojo. They'll probably release a firmware update or something for white noise.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #5,328 of 10,554
Sounds like an EMI/Shielding problem, I remember hearing similar pops with EarMen Sparrow and returned it after some time, definitely very annoying. I don't remember seeing users complain about pops so maybe a defective unit?

Looking at Chords upgrade cycle, It will probably take +5 years for a new Mojo. They'll probably release a firmware update or something for white noise.
Correct me if I am wrong, I do not think Chord has ever released a firmware for Mojo 2, right? I am a Mac user so I do not know about Windows. Is it the case like Ibasso DC series? Like you can only upgrade the firmware through Windows.

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #5,329 of 10,554
I highly doubt there will be a firmware update. Mojo OG & 2 don't have a method for a user to update. It would have to be sent back to Chord or their local distributor. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #5,330 of 10,554
I highly doubt there will be a firmware update. Mojo OG & 2 don't have a method for a user to update. It would have to be sent back to Chord or their local distributor. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings...
Ouch, I don't own the M2 but was considering getting one, the white noise problem has put my decision on hold.

I had the M1 and don't remember firmwares updates on that device either.

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #5,331 of 10,554
Correct. It’s surprising in 2022 Chord hasn’t conceived a repair/return program to support firmware upgrades for all their FPGA based DACs. Not only would it allow them to resolve issues but continue to innovate and maintain customer loyalty. How many of you will buy a Mojo 3 to fix the white noise issue in your Mojo 2? Zero.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #5,332 of 10,554

Looking at Chords upgrade cycle, It will probably take +5 years for a new Mojo. ...
Exactly! What I find strange is why are they not upgrading the Poly? Does anyone know, please? I've asked Chord support once, Ed said, no Poly 2 he could discuss about, but they're still updating Poly OG. Are they?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #5,333 of 10,554

The unit I purchased was apparently a "demo" unit, but wouldn't surprise me if it was a return.

I'm listening to my xduoo now, missing the sound, eq and cross feed of the mojo. Maybe I was too hasty.....

Aug 29, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #5,334 of 10,554
The unit I purchased was apparently a "demo" unit, but wouldn't surprise me if it was a return.

I'm listening to my xduoo now, missing the sound, eq and cross feed of the mojo. Maybe I was too hasty.....
The Mojo is amazing. I would just buy a new one and enjoy. Not sure if you saw my YT review but it smoked the iDSD Signature. I’m not sure there’s a better portable right now.

Chibs

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #5,335 of 10,554

I agree with Chibs. It's so good that it's worth trying a new one.

I'm someone who's also experienced the white noise issue. But, a couple of days ago I switched to a new cable that I had on hand, and haven't experienced any white noise since. It's a 50cm cable and I'd prefer a 15cm cable, but if it solves the issue, I'll be a happy camper.

I can't think of any dac/amp combo under $1000 I would trade it for.

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #5,337 of 10,554
Is the white noise an issue via Optical connection?
No.
White noise ONLY occurs with the USB inputs.
Both the coaxial and optical inputs do not have this issue.

From a practical standpoint - I have had the original Mojo from 2018 and had the white noise issue quite a few times in the beginning.
It was at least partially caused by cable issues since replacing them solved it even though after a year or two cables tended to develop issues. Again, after exchanging the cables the white noise issues were gone.
The white noise also only happened with iPhones or computer as sources. It never occured when I used the Mojo with the HiBy R3 DAC as source.
In the end I have used the Mojo quite a lot over 4 years and most of the time without white noise issues.
Mojo 2 seems to behave in the same way, but I added the Poly a few months ago, so no more cables and no more white noise issues.

I'm not saying that the white noise is not a very unpleasant issue, only saying that I managed to almost completely avoid this issue over several years of use.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #5,338 of 10,554
No.
White noise ONLY occurs with the USB inputs.
Both the coaxial and optical inputs do not have this issue.

From a practical standpoint - I have had the original Mojo from 2018 and had the white noise issue quite a few times in the beginning.
It was at least partially caused by cable issues since replacing them solved it even though after a year or two cables tended to develop issues. Again, after exchanging the cables the white noise issues were gone.
The white noise also only happened with iPhones or computer as sources. It never occured when I used the Mojo with the HiBy R3 DAC as source.
In the end I have used the Mojo quite a lot over 4 years and most of the time without the whited noise issues.
Mojo 2 seems to behave in the same way, but I added the Poly a few months ago, so no more cables and no more white noise issues.

I'm not saying that the white noise is not a very unpleasant issue, only saying that I managed to almost completely avoid this issue over several years of use.
Thank you. Surprised none of these YouTube reviewers even mentioned it on Mojo 1 or 2.

My Mojo 2 arrives tomorrow and this knowledge is very disappointing.
Might even return without unboxing

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #5,339 of 10,554
Hey guys,
Got my mojo 2 in April and finally finished with the Review. The good, bad, and perhaps me looking ugly at times. Yes, very ugly haha :darthsmile:

Chibs

Thank you just viewed it. Well done and really like the comparison between IDSD Signature.

One thing that wasn’t clear to me is did you compare with 4.4 balanced into Signature?

The reason I ask is my previously owned IDSD Diablo sounded allot better [punchier and more kick] via 4.4balanced to Focal Clear MG compared to Diablo unbalanced headphone output.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #5,340 of 10,554
Thank you just viewed it. Well done and really like the comparison between IDSD Signature.

One thing that wasn’t clear to me is did you compare with 4.4 balanced into Signature?

The reason I ask is my previously owned IDSD Diablo sounded allot better [punchier and more kick] via 4.4balanced to Focal Clear MG compared to Diablo unbalanced headphone output.
I think an explanation is in order, regarding 4.4mm jack, balance out vs single-ended out:
Just an initial point to bear in mind, I am only talking about balanced out of a headphone amp.
Balance out, what is it?
When we are dealing with a battery operated headphone amplifier or a DAC/amp for headphones, we sometimes have a balance out.
The balance out, was designed to get more power out of a device that is battery powered.
The max. power output of any amp is directly related to how much power supply voltage it has access to. For a rechargeable device, it would be limited to 3.7V (one Li-Ion battery) or 7.4V (two batteries). This is not enough to produce 1W or more into a 32 ohm load. So to increase the power, we can use the battery twice! Have two amplifiers, each powered by the same battery, and have them work in a push-pull configuration.
Imagine if one amp can swing 5V, two amps can swing 10V, that means four times the power. This way we can have more power out.
The downsides are:
- faster battery depletion.
- two amplifiers means twice the noise and distortion.
- also means twice the output impedance.
But if your headphone needs the power, it is a small price to pay to get it. The jack that has this output is usually the 4.4mm.
Single ended out:
Simply means one amp for the output to feed the headphones. It may have enough power for more sensitive headphones and almost all IEMs.
This is the cleanest output! Contrary to the belief that balance has some magic incorporated.
Specially, if your DAC is a single-ended design by default, such as all Chord DACs. Chord portable DACs do not have balance (4.4mm) output.
Some DACs that are of balanced design by default, may marginally sound better on balance out, if that is the case, the reason is something else.
So why does my headphone sound better on 4.4mm
Most probably because your headphone is power hungry and behaves better with more power. Not all headphones do.
If single ended out has enough power capability and low impedance, on paper at least, it is superior to balance output.

EDIT: somebody sent me this, that should validate the above.
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back