Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 28, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #2,942 of 10,526
These are my notes that I have copied from the NYC CanJam thread

Haphazard notes on the Mojo 2

I had a chance to listen to a few things at the show, and for me the Mojo 2 is the only one I'm writing about because it is the device that in my judgment offered the best price-performance ratio. I started comparing it to my original Mojo and there was an appreciable jump in sound quality that I think is worth the upgrade. I have to admit that I did perceive it as a tad bright in the treble. I've seen a few folks indicate that they hear the Mojo as bright and harsh, but that has never been the case for me. If anything I'd say the Mojo is relatively smooth and even a tad reticent in the treble. With the Mojo 2 the first thing I noticed was the increased level of treble extension and detail. Treble definitely stands out a bit more on the Mojo 2 akin to the Hugo 2. Everything is more intelligible, and micro details are more evident. The articulation and texture it brings to instruments and vocals is a definite step up. I think I'd still give the nod to the Hugo 2 as the more technically competent, whether that extra level of technical competency translates to engagement is left to be seen. I've just ordered the Mojo 2 to assess this for myself as my suspicions are that Mojo 2 offers that engagement without compromising too much on the technicalities. In all honesty, the Mojo 2 was great at making me feel like I wasn't missing anything at all unless I compared it directly with the Hugo 2.

The Mojo's bass in my opinion was never really quite well defined, at least compared to some of its competitors like the iFi Audio iDSD Black . The Mojo 2 fixes this. It has impact, speed, texture and depth. Driving my Sony IER-Z1R, it was very tastefully done. I was surprised at how much better in the bass it was. It's a very notable improvement over its predecessor in this regard.

The other thing I noticed was the dynamics of this new Mojo 2. It is fantastic. Transients are also super clean and the dramatic stop and start of moments in the music drive excitement and is a definitive trait of the Chord Dacs that makes itself known upon immediate listen.

Mojo 2 also has a nice blackground. The Mojo still does well for vocals and some may still prefer it's more full bodied nature. I started preferring the Mojo 2's mid the more I listened. A nice tinge of warmth is added, and it is as mentioned earlier so articulate. You hear more nuance in the vocals and the tonal colors are more evident.

Soundstage is probably in about the same, but because the Mojo 2 is better at instrument separation and placement it feels more well defined, particularly in the depth.

Mojo 2 is also more layered with inner details that would've otherwise been smoothed over by the Mojo being brought to life. Thankfully, it is still very coherent sounding. Lack of coherency was my major concern when I saw initial impressions in this thread that it was more detailed. I love details, but not at the expense of coherency. At the end of the day I want to know that I am listening to music. I know the Mojo 2 was special because I just stopped comparing and listening to my music. At that moment it didn't matter if something else was more detailed or more refined or whatever, I was just once again listening and enjoying my music. Obviously there are many variables at play in our hobby. I did my impressions above as one could glean with the Sony IER-Z1R IEMs playing tracks from Tidal on myPhone. I would encourage anyone especially those willing to spend good amount of money on kilobuck DAPs and DAC/Amps to give the Mojo 2 a try.

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #2,943 of 10,526
what portable music source do you guys use with this? Id imagine spotify isn't good enough?
A DAP with CD quality and hi rez files.

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #2,944 of 10,526
what portable music source do you guys use with this? Id imagine spotify isn't good enough?
In my case in the UK I tried with my mobile phone but I get interference every time the phone goes from 3G to 4G and in & out from network. Therefore the Poly s not a nice to have but an essential. I can't have my mojo nowhere near my mobile.

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #2,945 of 10,526
Soundstage is probably in about the same, but because the Mojo 2 is better at instrument separation and placement it feels more well defined, particularly in the depth.
Mojo 2 benefit quite a lot from burn in. The staging opens up a lot.

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #2,946 of 10,526
The hard case works too... with a little Dremil modification.

It's not pretty, but better than no case! - I have a spare if anyone want to buy one from me...

IMG_0505.jpeg
IMG_0506.jpeg

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #2,947 of 10,526
Hi guys,

I am looking for a headphone DAC/Amp and I am seriously considering this device. I will be using it, initially, with the 7Hz Timeless and the TRI I3. Will there be any kind of inconvenience, like a hiss or any weird noises, with these IEMs? Anyone here using the Mojo 2 with these or other IEMs with similar specifications? I will be listening through my Sennheiser HD600, as well, but I think there won't be any problem there, right?

I am giving the IEM's specs below.

TRI I3 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Connector: MMCX
Lime Length: 120CM +/- 3CM
Sensitivity: 103DB
Color: Aluminum Alloy Mirror Silver
Type: In-Ear
Plug Type: 3.5mm
Frequency: 20-40kHz
Impedance: 15 Ohms
Driver Unit: 10mm Planar Magnetic + Composite 6mm DD + Balanced Armature Driver

7Hz Timeless SPECIFICATIONS
Driver. 14.2mm planar driver.
Impedance 14.8 Ohms
Sound pressure level. 104dB/1Khz.
Frequency response range. 5-40000hz.
THD. <0.2%/1KHZ.
Connector MMCX.
Nozzle diameter. 5mm.

All of my cables are 2.5mm. Which adaptor would you suggest?

Thank you! :)

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #2,948 of 10,526
Hi guys,

I am looking for a headphone DAC/Amp and I am seriously considering this device. I will be using it, initially, with the 7Hz Timeless and the TRI I3. Will there be any kind of inconvenience, like a hiss or any weird noises, with these IEMs? Anyone here using the Mojo 2 with these or other IEMs with similar specifications? I will be listening through my Sennheiser HD600, as well, but I think there won't be any problem there, right?

Impedance 14.8 Ohms
THD. <0.2%/1KHZ.
Connector MMCX.
Nozzle diameter. 5mm.

Get a linsoul mmcx cable with the correct termination. https://www.amazon.com/Linsoul-Trip...646053600&sprefix=linsoul+mmcx,aps,144&sr=8-3

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #2,949 of 10,526

It's not pretty, but better than no case! - I have a spare if anyone want to buy one from me...

Not bad! I might try this with mine once the Mojo2 arrives.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #2,950 of 10,526
I went with SD card in a Poly but in portable use the real limitation, IMHO, is the listening environment. I “justified” the Poly for portable use but, often as not, that means great portable listening doing mundane house chores (poor winter conditions here). Not a Spotify user but if it normally works for you why not stick with tried and true?

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #2,951 of 10,526
Can anybody hear the difference between Spotify or regular quality apple music compared to Redbook when listening on the go? I definitely can't.

Feb 28, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #2,952 of 10,526
No new posts in a while so I thought I'd chime in....my Mojo 2 came early last week....now I miss nothing about the OG except as an early love/
backup unit. Seriously, although for some OG users the Mojo 2 will be an optional or even unnecessary purchase, for this user the 2 is a serious upgrade!
I am Thrilled with this unit! Took me a while to figure out that I got the best sound with the USB-C input, (using the Apple USB-C charging cable). In retrospect,
micro USB is a poor input connector for a DAC as it can lose connection easily by even slightly moving the Mojo, so USB-C is not only very secure fit-wise,
but it sounds lovely with just this regular USB-C cable! And once I had it for a few days I found the controls extremely easy and intuitive...love
that I can change or check the settings with the music playing! And the sound quality is for me a total makeover
(What HiFi's review describes the improvements well for me)!

I can't express how satisfied and excited I am! Still love the OG but it will be getting much less use; it has for me no advantages sonically over the Mojo 2;
the 2 perfects the design for me. The synergy with my Grado's is fantastic, and Apple Music never sounded better (I'm cancelling my Tidal after
having subscribed for almost 5 years, nice service but better deals out there with also excellent quality).

The eq is great but I've only made one or two 1 db adjustments to my two main Grado's and the crossfeed is fun but pretty subtle.
Sound quality alone and USB-C input makes it for me worth the upgrade, the DSP features are icing on the cake and really nice to have!

Anyone who is happy with the OG enjoy it as it is still a great unit!
...after a week with the Mojo 2 I've gone back to the OG for comparison.....while the 2 is substantially better and fully worth the purchase for me, the OG's sound isn't that far off and is also extremely musical...it sounds a bit simplified, especially in the bass clarity/resolution (tho the quantity and slam is nice!) and smaller soundstage/somewhat flatter depth but this is quickly forgotten when I immerse into the music. Anyone who has the OG and is fully satisfied....the 2 is likely an optional purchase. If money isn't the issue and you want the latest and best...have a listen to the 2 with your headphone(s) and decide. I now wish that the OG had a USB-C input, a much more secure connection and sounds great with just an Apple USB-C charge cable.

Right now, I'm happy to own and use both and my OG is in rotation when I feel the need to hear a somewhat different presentation (and
to save the battery on the 2!). I'm totally satisfied and (if you're reading this) Mr. Watts, I think you are amazing!

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #2,953 of 10,526
after a week with the Mojo 2 I've gone back to the OG for comparison.....while the 2 is substantially better and fully worth the purchase for me, the OG's sound isn't that far off and is also extremely musical...it sounds a bit simplified, especially in the bass and smaller soundstage, somewhat flatter depth but this is quickly forgotten when I immerse into the music. Anyone who has the OG and is fully satisfied....the 2 is likely an optional purchase. If money isn't the issue and you want the latest and best...have a listen to the 2 with your headphone(s) and decide. I now wish the OG had USB-C input, a much more secure connection and sounds great with just an Apple USB-C charge cable.

Right now, I'm happy to own and use both and my OG is in rotation when I feel the need to hear a somewhat different presentation (and
to save the battery on the 2!). I'm totally satisfied and (if you're reading this) Mr. Watts, I think you are amazing!
uhd dsp did it for me. Hoping to help a few problem iem’s. EQ on my AK daps is not user friendly.

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #2,954 of 10,526
Hi guys,

Impedance 14.8 Ohms
THD. <0.2%/1KHZ.
Connector MMCX.
Nozzle diameter. 5mm.

Mojo 2 is dead silent with FD5 and FH3 if that helps. These IEM are sensitive enough that I use ifi-IEMatch with HipDac and Go-Blu. Mojo 2 switches between low gain and high gain as you increase the volume and no background noise at all.

Cheers !!

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #2,955 of 10,526
These are my notes that I have copied from the NYC CanJam thread

Haphazard notes on the Mojo 2

I had a chance to listen to a few things at the show, and for me the Mojo 2 is the only one I'm writing about because it is the device that in my judgment offered the best price-performance ratio. I started comparing it to my original Mojo and there was an appreciable jump in sound quality that I think is worth the upgrade. I have to admit that I did perceive it as a tad bright in the treble. I've seen a few folks indicate that they hear the Mojo as bright and harsh, but that has never been the case for me. If anything I'd say the Mojo is relatively smooth and even a tad reticent in the treble. With the Mojo 2 the first thing I noticed was the increased level of treble extension and detail. Treble definitely stands out a bit more on the Mojo 2 akin to the Hugo 2. Everything is more intelligible, and micro details are more evident. The articulation and texture it brings to instruments and vocals is a definite step up. I think I'd still give the nod to the Hugo 2 as the more technically competent, whether that extra level of technical competency translates to engagement is left to be seen. I've just ordered the Mojo 2 to assess this for myself as my suspicions are that Mojo 2 offers that engagement without compromising too much on the technicalities. In all honesty, the Mojo 2 was great at making me feel like I wasn't missing anything at all unless I compared it directly with the Hugo 2.

The Mojo's bass in my opinion was never really quite well defined, at least compared to some of its competitors like the iFi Audio iDSD Black . The Mojo 2 fixes this. It has impact, speed, texture and depth. Driving my Sony IER-Z1R, it was very tastefully done. I was surprised at how much better in the bass it was. It's a very notable improvement over its predecessor in this regard.

The other thing I noticed was the dynamics of this new Mojo 2. It is fantastic. Transients are also super clean and the dramatic stop and start of moments in the music drive excitement and is a definitive trait of the Chord Dacs that makes itself known upon immediate listen.

Mojo 2 also has a nice blackground. The Mojo still does well for vocals and some may still prefer it's more full bodied nature. I started preferring the Mojo 2's mid the more I listened. A nice tinge of warmth is added, and it is as mentioned earlier so articulate. You hear more nuance in the vocals and the tonal colors are more evident.

Mojo 2 is also more layered with inner details that would've otherwise been smoothed over by the Mojo being brought to life. Thankfully, it is still very coherent sounding. Lack of coherency was my major concern when I saw initial impressions in this thread that it was more detailed. I love details, but not at the expense of coherency. At the end of the day I want to know that I am listening to music. I know the Mojo 2 was special because I just stopped comparing and listening to my music. At that moment it didn't matter if something else was more detailed or more refined or whatever, I was just once again listening and enjoying my music. Obviously there are many variables at play in our hobby. I did my impressions above as one could glean with the Sony IER-Z1R IEMs playing tracks from Tidal on myPhone. I would encourage anyone especially those willing to spend good amount of money on kilobuck DAPs and DAC/Amps to give the Mojo 2 a try.

Thanks for posting this here. My experiences with the Mojo2 closely match this opinion.

IMG_0505.jpegIMG_0506.jpeg

I've been thinking about getting a Dremel tool kit for some time now. This post got me to finally order one. When it arrives tomorrow, this will be my first project!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back