Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Feb 13, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #2,507 of 10,527
35 minute warm up?...silly nonsense
From a circuit perspective the resistance of the components will alter in temperature, and the engineers will always design equipment with this in mind. As resistance can vary somewhat this could be noticeable, but without knowing the innards of the Mojo it's hard to tell and we'd have to have the engineers themselves tell us. A fairly typical change in resistance for 30C is 10% or so.

Dismissing the youtubers comment offhand suggests a lack of understanding of how circuits work. It's entirely possible from a scientific perspective, but whether those changes are audible is hard to tell. Here's a good discussion.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...be-warmed-up-for-a-while-fact-or-fiction.156/

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #2,508 of 10,527
From a circuit perspective the resistance of the components will alter in temperature, and the engineers will always design equipment with this in mind. As resistance can vary somewhat this could be noticeable, but without knowing the innards of the Mojo it's hard to tell and we'd have to have the engineers themselves tell us. A fairly typical change in resistance for 30C is 10% or so.
Depends on the type of resistor.

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #2,509 of 10,527
hey just want to let you know this happened with my unit aswell, its only happened once in the space of a week or so of owning it, precisely as you describe it, loud white noise and the only way to stop it is to restart the mojo 2.

heres the thing though, its certainly not an apple issue because i use a windows PC... nothing scraggy either its an extremely high end pc. i can pinpoint what set it off for me though and it was the second i opened up my emails from the hotmail email app... i cant get it to repeat though, so it seems certain applications are the cause of the issue and i have no idea if there is a fix, im not sure if there is an inherent issue with the hardware design causing it but im going to shoot an email over to chord and see what they say, i would urge others to do the same so they understand the issue is widespread with the product and hopefully they can isolate the issue and resolve it with a software update hopefully.
Hello,

I have been using Mojo 2 for about ten days now and the white noise happened to me two times while listening to local files with Roon and a third time while watching a movie with VLC.
I have noticed that if you stop the song or movie and skip back a few seconds and then restart the song/movie the white noise goes away, without restarting the mojo 2. I’m using a Mac mini with M1 processor by the way. Hope it helps.

I have no idea if it is caused by some apps, I think I had at least Safari open in the background.
I will report it soon to Chord giving them as many details as possible.
Except this nuisance I’m very happy with my mojo 2.

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #2,510 of 10,527
Hello,

I have been using Mojo 2 for about ten days now and the white noise happened to me two times while listening to local files with Roon and a third time while watching a movie with VLC.
I have noticed that if you stop the song or movie and skip back a few seconds and then restart the song/movie the white noise goes away, without restarting the mojo 2. I’m using a Mac mini with M1 processor by the way. Hope it helps.

I have no idea if it is caused by some apps, I think I had at least Safari open in the background.
I will report it soon to Chord giving them as many details as possible.
Except this nuisance I’m very happy with my mojo 2.

yeh i agree im very happy with it besides this issue. the white noise stops when i stop playing audio, so if i pause music or whatever but continues when i press play again so i just have to restart it, never tried skipping back a few seconds ill give that a try if it happens again. cheers.

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #2,511 of 10,527
Anyone had the white noise issue in combination with the Poly?

If not, maybe the Chord drivers for MAC and Windows needs to be updated is what I am guessing.

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #2,513 of 10,527
Anyone had the white noise issue in combination with the Poly?

If not, maybe the Chord drivers for MAC and Windows needs to be updated is what I am guessing.

Have a Poly and no white noise issues with some extensive use now.

All fine with iPhone , IPad and MacBook Pro.

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #2,514 of 10,527
Has any one else tried to get a fixed line out from Mojo2.
In the above video I’m sure he said turn the unit on and hold down the volume buttons until the balls show blue.

I can’t seem to get that too happen.
My unit just returns to the same volume set before switch off.
I seem to remember that this feature had been removed from Mojo2??

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #2,515 of 10,527
One interesting other point in that recent video (the one about 35 min warm up) is he mentions how he thinks the sound character changes with crossfeed. This certainly isn’t my experience and I don’t understand it to change the character at all. So two very strange observations from this chap. Great video otherwise tho!

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #2,516 of 10,527
In the above video I’m sure he said turn the unit on and hold down the volume buttons until the balls show blue.

If I remember correctly, Rob Watts said on the Darko podcast that fixed line out was not implemented on the Mojo 2.

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #2,517 of 10,527
On the topic of cases, I quite prefer this version of the Mojo case over current Mojo 2 case. The contrasting red stitching, leather grain, and sloppy construction on the Mojo 2 case looks terrible. Hopefully, Dignis will remedy that.

1643771445216.png
leather earpads on $500+ headphones would like a word with you sir

Feb 13, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #2,518 of 10,527
So, having recently acquired a pair of Quad ERA-1 headphones, I find that the original AKM4495 based Shanling M6 DAP that I have is, for most listening, really good with the Quads, beautifully resolving, never harsh or fatiguing, but always very detailed, the music just flows through the setup and takes over. However, a couple of niggles have become apparent. The first is battery capacity. The M6 will generally only provide around 3.5 - 4.5 hours of streaming / SD card music listening pleasure before a recharge is needed. Secondly, the headphones need a bit more driving when the music gets lairy. The Shanling seems a little too polite for some tunes!

Bright idea, the Mojo 2 seems to perfectly fit my use case (stream from PC / Laptop / Shanling M6 or even the Oneplus 9 pro at a pinch). Lossless EQ sounds perfect for adding the last 2dB of heft to the bottom end of the Quads.

I’ve been using the Mojo 2 since last Tuesday and here are my impressions. A nicely packaged and presented bundle, the unit itself feels nicely hewn from a block of ally and the finish is excellent. The control interface balls are simple enough to learn and, for me, preferable to an LCD screen and menu system. Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain is the simple key for adjustments. Nice touch! Brightness level is well considered, but the lower brightness still doubles as a decent night light. Micro USB? I know it is rated for 1A charging, but fast charge 3 phones were using it with 3A chargers years ago. Still have a Nexus 6 in the household using it daily.

The sonic tweaking available feels very well considered and highly useful. My guesstimate was that the Quads needed the 20Hz region boosted by 2dB and the result was perfect. Playing around with the settings, I think it would be possible to get a subtle and effective EQ for most headphones. Crossfeed is brilliant, especially for some older recordings or stuff that is heavily panned. Take Five and A Meeting By The River benefited hugely from it, with no apparent downsides.

Connectivity was simple with phone and DAP, with stored files and streaming (Amazon HD) working perfectly, with the exception of playing a DSD256 file, which stuttered and went into white noise. It was a test file, I don’t usually bother with DSD, so not an issue for me. Connection to the laptop and workstation were unusable. Serious noise problems and intermittent drops into white noise, so that is out.

So, to the sound then. I suspect I’m not going to be popular here! Having read the eulogising posts and looked at numerous online reviews, I was expecting more. Particularly, I was expecting substantial across the board improvements over the Shanling M6. Charged, played until battery hit 20% and charged again, it was time for the initial listen. Something of a recent favourite of mine, Jon Hassell’s Listening to Pictures album, has complex textures and lots of spatial trickery in the production. Initially, it felt dull and flat. Stuff was all there, or thereabouts, but the space was missing, the textures and vibrancy reduced, the magic gone.

What followed was an extensive listening session leading to the realization that although the Mojo 2 is a very good DAC, a huge improvement on my workstation output stage for example (with Asus Crystal Sound 3 no less!) it only surpasses the Shanling M6 in driving power and perhaps is a little better rhythmically with some music. In general, resolution across the frequency spectrum seems to be lower, the sound somehow thicker and the portrayal of subtle tonal and dynamic shifts compressed. Textures are less vibrant, bass seems heftier, but with reduced detail. It could simply be a lack of synergy with the Quad ERA-1 I guess? I don’t have any other decent headphones to try. Experimenting with EQ could not retrieve the missing magic.

I suspect I am going to have to reach deeper into my pocket. The descriptions I have read of the Hugo 2 sound, look to be heading in the right direction for my tastes. On the plus side, I knew the Shanling M6 was good. When I was auditioning the ERA-1 I tried them on a much more expensive front end to see how they scaled. Hooked up to a Naim / Accuphase setup, there was not much difference from the little DAP! Perhaps the ERA-1 looks a little too closely? I’m worried that a Hugo 2 sized hole is about to appear in my bank account.

Listening notes / deranged ramblings below:

All files .flac 16 bit 44.1KHz unless otherwise stated. Impressions are how the Mojo 2 sounds with the M6 as the control standard.

John McLaughlin, My goals beyond, Peace 1: Opening, as intro builds, brushed cymbals and sitar less texture and less audible. Guitar slightly thicker sounding, violins a little more body but less texture.

Vishwar Mohan Bhatt / Ry Cooder, A meeting by the river: Subtle differences. I get the sense that the Mojo is slightly brushing over the tonal contrasts and subtle pitch and amplitude variations in the worked strings. Crossfeed is brilliant here.

David Sylvian, Secrets of the beehive, When Poets dream of angels: Opening, less air and more fullness in guitars. Voice has more body, less texture. Voice and strings, both give impression of reduced modulation.

The Orb, No sounds are out of bounds, The end of the end: Sounds in lower mids with amplitude modulation seem somewhat compressed, like the sounds occupy a smaller dynamic range within the mix. Details on voice reverberations less apparent. Less texture, space and air around the top end. More punchy and pacey.

Wolfbane: Intro, bass more emphatically present, but thicker with less detail. Less texture size, height and shape to synthesized vocal crescendo.

Other blue worlds: less texture on top of bass on intro gives darker sound creating narrower space.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Stagger Lee: Clear improvement in pace and timing. Ramshackle intro beautifully conveyed, epic when it all comes together with the vocal. Livens up the Quad ERA-1 nicely. Captures the visceral nature and drive of the track, very, very big improvement.

Cardiacs, On land and in the sea, The duck and Roger the horse: Smaller stage, obviously bigger macrodynamics, more pace and drive to the rhythm. Comparative loss of texture in sax that lives in top right hand side of the mix. Some congestion through mids.

Eberhard Weber, Sand 24 bit 192KHz: Very very close. Slightly less vibrant, similar texture, atmosphere, snappier sense of timing?

Nursrat Fateh Ali Khan, Mustt Mustt, Fault lines: Opening panned / modulated guitar strum reduced sense of modulation. Voice very similar. Less expansive stage. Lowest bass notes more emphatically presented.

Future sound of London, Lifeforms, Ill flower: Upper mid metallic texture in cascade rendered nearer to white noise. Detail / texture reduced. Texture can't be EQ'd in. Throughout the album, FSOL’s sculpted lower frequency events seem to have reduced spatial and amplitude information resulting in loss of shape and shape changes.

Björk, Vespertine, Undo: Richer bass, slightly more body to voice, reduced detail in mid high atmospherics. Bell sustain audible for less time in busy mix. Multitracked voice less separated.

Pagan Poetry: when things get really busy, separation / resolution of multiple sounds partially blend into one to a greater extent.

Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis (The new queens hall orchestra / Barry Wordsworth): Bowing on higher strings less rendered. More weight in lower strings. Imaging / placement as rest of orchestra comes in similar. Position of each section slightly less well defined?

Listening to Pictures Jon Hassell, Dreaming: Less texture in bass, reduced metallic character in upper mid synth sound. Trumpet through effects not as spacious. Loses atmosphere substantially.

Radiohead, A moon shaped pool, Burn the witch (24 bit 44.1KHz): Less separation of plucked / bowed strings. Much better rythmic cohesion throughout song.

Ok Computer, Subterranean Homesick Alien (24 bit 96KHz): Closer than 44.1KHz material, still some loss of texture and reduced portrayal of dynamic shading.

Feb 13, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #2,519 of 10,527
So, to the sound then. I suspect I’m not going to be popular here! Having read the eulogising posts and looked at numerous online reviews, I was expecting more. Particularly, I was expecting substantial across the board improvements over the Shanling M6. Charged, played until battery hit 20% and charged again, it was time for the initial listen. Something of a recent favourite of mine, Jon Hassell’s Listening to Pictures album, has complex textures and lots of spatial trickery in the production. Initially, it felt dull and flat. Stuff was all there, or thereabouts, but the space was missing, the textures and vibrancy reduced, the magic gone.

Incredibly detailed review, nice to see a great DAP compared to the Mojo 2.

Feb 13, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #2,520 of 10,527

There is no volume preset for fixed line out ‘mode’ with Mojo2 (which is all the Mojo1 really had anyway, a volume shortcut).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back