Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 24, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #6,571 of 10,855
As If Mr. Watts would know the ifi in question well enough to compare to Mojo2!
And even if he did, he would be inclined to pass his opinion on a competition, and therefore open up a slew of replies from ifi lovers and possibly the manufacturer.
The question can be answered by someone with no conflict of interest, perhaps.
I wouldn't hold my breath.

I know this was a reply to someone else but I wasn’t expecting Rob to do a comparison, I was asking what he believed the specific strengths of the OG Mojo were to use as a guide on what I should listen for in my own comparison.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #6,572 of 10,855
Transducers generally have large quantitative (that is easy to hear) changes, but DAC/amps are more qualitative (less obvious but can have profound musical or emotional difference). So I can listen to one of my DACs with a cheap pair of speakers, that have poor frequency response in Hi-Fi terms - but it sounds very musical, because the instruments sound real and tangible.

The key difference to listen out for is variation - if a system can portray variation in dynamic, timbre, the starting and stopping of notes, and has instrument seperation and focus so that when the going gets busy low volume instruments are not swamped by the loud ones - then it will be musical, or rather allowing you to get emotionally involved in the music. There are technical reasons why conventional DAC/amps do not portray variation - things tend to sound the same with congestion - but I would be here all day writing about the technical reasons!

Thanks so much Rob, much appreciate the considered response.

I will do a careful listen when I get a chance.

Jan 24, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #6,573 of 10,855
I’m thankful for the hyperbole in reviews. I might not try anything new if there wasn’t some excitement in the leap-of-faith? @Chibs video review was a joy to watch; however, I had purchased the Mojo 2 a few weeks prior to it going live.

What I wonder is if MQA usage is impacting the love of specific gear (i.e., does the kit do MQA decode/rendering/unfolding/whatever-you-want-to-call-it/etc.)? Before I abandoned all MQA listening and cancelled my TIDAL subscription, I was very interested in finding the best DACs for MQA (and iFi kit performed very nicely in that arena). But now I’m sans-MQA and I prefer the DACs and DAPs I have that don’t support MQA better than those that do. Why? That’s probably too subjective to even try to answer without backlash, but it may also be my psychological aversion to MQA too.

But it does make me feel that if we knew who were TIDAL MQA fans we would understand more why some love their MQA rendering DACs better than a competitor who doesn’t support MQA.

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #6,577 of 10,855

Any RCA to 2 pole 3.5mm will work.

The Mojo end is a normal mono 3.5mm with the tip being the signal and the sleeve being the ground just like the RCA end.

Another way is to get a 2 pole 3.5mm male to RCA female adapter that plugs onto the end of an RCA to RCA coaxial cable and into the Mojo at one end and the RCA output from your source device.

Generic photos for reference.

Jan 25, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #6,583 of 10,855
There is hyperbole in marketing the world over , for anything being sold. It's ok to be influenced by it, making an emotional decision and being excited about what you've bought is a nice thing to experience, for most people they've worked hard for their money.

But a Head Fi post or You Tube review isn’t marketing.

Yes people work hard for their money and they want to spend it on something that they have realistic performance expectations about.

I have wasted a substantial amount of money chasing improvements in devices that for me are simply not even close to the level that reviews and comments would have had me believe, for whatever reason, even if that is I am simply in a group that is less sensitive to the differences.

My comments only seem to have served to aggravate some here but they might also offer a counterpoint that gives food for thought for someone.

It is only flogging a dead horse from here on in so I will leave it at that. I have had my say and I appreciate the opportunity to do so.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #6,585 of 10,855
But a Head Fi post or You Tube review isn’t marketing.

Yes people work hard for their money and they want to spend it on something that they have realistic performance expectations about.

I have wasted a substantial amount of money chasing improvements in devices that for me are simply not even close to the level that reviews and comments would have had me believe, for whatever reason, even if that is I am simply in a group that is less sensitive to the differences.

My comments only seem to have served to aggravate some here but they might also offer a counterpoint that gives food for thought for someone.

It is only flogging a dead horse from here on in so I will leave it at that. I have had my say and I appreciate the opportunity to do so.
Didnt aggravate.me and I got where you are coming from and agree fwiw.

I find headphones massively different and easier to change to taste than DAC/amps, I know Reddit regard DACs and amps as 'solved' tech and bh a Google search now is dominated by Reddit anyway, so whatever is said here is in the mix with all sorts of stuff online

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back