Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Jan 19, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #6,511 of 10,858
Annoyingly when I get my unit back with a replaced battery I suspect this will stop me using it as it may need reconfiguring. I’m surprised no new Poly users have mentioned it on this thread??
Not experienced this on Android. I'll fire up Poly tonight for a long overdue listening session and see what it does.

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #6,512 of 10,858
Hi, I am looking to get back into audio and the Mojo 2 seems to fit the bill for portability. A couple of quick questions. I am red/green colour blind, would this impact on using the Mojo 2 or is it purely from memory you learn the buttons? Would the HD600 be a reasonable pairing for the Mojo 2 or is it worth spending a bit extra? Thanks.

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #6,513 of 10,858
Hi, I am looking to get back into audio and the Mojo 2 seems to fit the bill for portability. A couple of quick questions. I am red/green colour blind, would this impact on using the Mojo 2 or is it purely from memory you learn the buttons? Would the HD600 be a reasonable pairing for the Mojo 2 or is it worth spending a bit extra? Thanks.
The colour for the volume won't matter as you set it to what you like anyway, there is a light that tells you the bitrate that includes red and green colours and the little battery indicator also includes red and green . None of this affects listening, just keep it charged

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #6,514 of 10,858

Nothing beats the HD-600 overall. The few, good, more expensive headphones are just different flavors.

Having said that, the Mojo 2 powers the HD-600 just fine, but ideally at home you'd pair it with a more powerful amp.

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #6,515 of 10,858
Nothing beats the HD-600 overall. The few, good, more expensive headphones are just different flavors.

Having said that, the Mojo 2 powers the HD-600 just fine, but ideally at home you'd pair it with a more powerful amp.

Thanks for the help. I did have the Grado PS1000e before I sold the system to get into photography which was a very energetic sounding headphone but the HD600 looks to fit the bill for what I want from it.

Any amp you would particularly recommend that pairs well with the Mojo 2?

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #6,516 of 10,858
Thanks for the help. I did have the Grado PS1000e before I sold the system to get into photography which was a very energetic sounding headphone but the HD600 looks to fit the bill for what I want from it.

Any amp you would particularly recommend that pairs well with the Mojo 2?
Something like this: www.violectric.de/en/products/headphone-preamps/violectric-hpa-v202.

You can sometimes find it's previous incarnation, the V200 for around €500/$500 in the Classifieds. Not sure how to connect the Mojo 2 (desktop mode) to the V200/V202 though, although I am sure it's possible and it should make a good pairing, the Mojo 2 being a neutral DAC and the V200 warmer. I think the V202 is also on the warm side, but check.

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #6,517 of 10,858
Mine sounds great once turned on. Time passes and it still sounds great. If I've listen for 35 minutes, I'm in a calmer happier state of mind. This can effect your perception of sound perhaps. Psycho acoustics.
I think this is the only correct answer. Its not the mojo 2 that changes it's your brain that need to be ready to fully accept what you are hearing.

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #6,518 of 10,858
Something like this: www.violectric.de/en/products/headphone-preamps/violectric-hpa-v202.

You can sometimes find it's previous incarnation, the V200 for around €500/$500 in the Classifieds. Not sure how to connect the Mojo 2 (desktop mode) to the V200/V202 though, although I am sure it's possible and it should make a good pairing, the Mojo 2 being a neutral DAC and the V200 warmer. I think the V202 is also on the warm side, but check.
@Nectar
I have owned the Violectric V200 years ago and indeed it is a warm sounding strong amp but I found the sound stage very narrow with my LCD-2 and Denon AH-D7100 those days back in time.
Some IFI Micro IDSD Gen 1 was far more transparent, resolving with a larger stage than V200 in the past.
Haven't had HD600 yet but from what I ve read their sound stage isn't the widest, respectively strongly do depend on the amp.
I recommend checking amp recommendations in the HD600 thread instead.
I ve seen people suggesting OTL tube amps, Schiit Jontunheim etc

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #6,519 of 10,858
@Nectar
I have owned the Violectric V200 years ago and indeed it is a warm sounding strong amp but I found the sound stage very narrow with my LCD-2 and Denon AH-D7100 those days back in time.
Some IFI Micro IDSD Gen 1 was far more transparent, resolving with a larger stage than V200 in the past.
Haven't had HD600 yet but from what I ve read their sound stage isn't the widest, respectively strongly do depend on the amp.
I recommend checking amp recommendations in the HD600 thread instead.
I ve seen people suggesting OTL tube amps, Schiit Jontunheim etc

Good points. And yeah, I only stayed away from recommending OTL amps since it can be such an involved endeavor. If someone asks about a good amp pairing and you start discussing tubes... it can be a bit much. :)

I personally use the Bottlehead Crack with my HD-600, but the V200 does a fine job too. YMMV

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #6,520 of 10,858
Good points. And yeah, I only stayed away from recommending OTL amps since it can be such an involved endeavor. If someone asks about a good amp pairing and you start discussing tubes... it can be a bit much. :)

I personally use the Bottlehead Crack with my HD-600, but the V200 does a fine job too. YMMV
In Italy there is megahertzaudio.it, on site you can see OTL with one 6080, I've had it and it's a great amp, price approx 700 euro

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #6,521 of 10,858
Congrats on getting back into it! There are some good responses for you already, and I agree that the Mojo 2/HD600 combo can be an excellent pair. The 600 is a total classic for a reason.
On the amp front, yes it can help with the 600, but I’d suggest living with the pairing for a month before you buy an amp. See how you’re enjoying it. Get used to the sound and the strengths. That way if/when you get an amp you’ll know exactly what it’s bringing to the system. Connection will just be a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2 x RCA cable.

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #6,522 of 10,858
Congrats on getting back into it! There are some good responses for you already, and I agree that the Mojo 2/HD600 combo can be an excellent pair. The 600 is a total classic for a reason.
On the amp front, yes it can help with the 600, but I’d suggest living with the pairing for a month before you buy an amp. See how you’re enjoying it. Get used to the sound and the strengths. That way if/when you get an amp you’ll know exactly what it’s bringing to the system. Connection will just be a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2 x RCA cable.
I’d echo what AussieMick says … enjoy the Mojo2 for a while. It competes against standalone desktop DACs that are twice its price so do not rush. Plus of course it has the amazing in built EQ and crossfeed options should your system require it. Do NOT assume that you need to move on. Many use this DAC amp with $3k headphones and are perfectly happy. I can’t imagine much better than what I’m hearing right at this moment from my Mojo 2 / Poly & Indigo 👌

Jan 20, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #6,523 of 10,858
IMHO the narrow soundstage of the HD600 and the narrow soundstage of the Mojo 2 are not a great match, otherwise ok

Jan 20, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #6,524 of 10,858
When I bought my mojo 2 I thought the Schitt BF2 / Jot2 would sound better and it doesn’t. It’s either the same or the Mojo 2 is better. I have a sinus infection right now with clogged ears so not making a final conclusion, but the Mojo 2 is unbelievable!

Jan 20, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #6,525 of 10,858
IMHO the narrow soundstage of the HD600 and the narrow soundstage of the Mojo 2 are not a great match, otherwise ok
Oh, I agree with you, I just think that buying an amp right away might not be the best way to go. Living with Mojo 2/600 for a while you’re then in a position to decide what more you want from an amp.
Also, it’s very true that not everyone prioritises stage width. If detail, dynamics and separation are really good, some are very happy to sacrifice stage width for that. It’s a middle tier priority for me, and I’ve got a friend who finds the kind of width you can get from an i4 means there are “holes” in the stage. That’s why I think go slowly, find out what you love and direct future purchases towards making your set up more to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back