Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Sep 16, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #5,416 of 11,001
After seeing the comparison video and posting that the 4.4mm was potentially technically better I did an A/B listening test myself comparing the Gryphons 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs.

I used M11 plus into Gryphon via a short Moon Audio coaxial cable and used Shanling ME700 IEM figuring that being easy to drive the power difference between the outputs wouldn’t be a factor. I used a ddhifi 3.5mm male to 4.4mm female adapter so swapping was as quick as unplugging and plugging in. I volume matched just by ear but also tried the test with the volume intentionally higher and lower to see if that changed any perceived difference, it didn’t.

I listened several Diana Krall songs with for the most part only upright bass, piano and vocals so each part of the music already quite distinct - streamed in 24/96 from Apple Music.

I wouldn’t pretend to have the most highly refined hearing and of course there could be some placebo effect since I was listening for differences but my listening impression was pretty much as was pointed out above.

I am sure that the instrument separation was better out of the 4.4mm, there was a slightly better sense of a 3D soundstage, the vocals were further forward in the soundstage and the vocals seemed to come from a more defined location in the soundstage whereas out of the 3.5mm the vocals were from a bigger area in the soundstage.

With full size headphones, especially those not so easy to drive, the increase in power available may also factor in with better driver control.
Of course the sound stage was wider. It didn’t have to squeeze through such a narrow plug. It’s even better with 6mm

Sep 16, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #5,417 of 11,001
Sep 16, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #5,418 of 11,001
I'd like to read a comparision between Apple dongle and Mojo 2. A comparision based on actual listening, not assumptions.
Such as iPhone+ Apple Music+ Dongle+ X Headphone ----- vs ---- iPhone+ Apple Music+ Mojo 2 +X Headphone
Thanks

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #5,419 of 11,001
I’ve had the mojo2poly combo since March and what a treat the pairing has been. I had my trepidations about the poly after reading about its initial teething problems after it’s release but I’m happy to report that this setup has been flawless so far and a big step up in both sound and user experience from my previous HiBy R6.

I’ve been using the mojo2poly exclusively with my spiral ear SE5U CIEMs and I’m looking to get some phones; has anyone tried the Z1Rs? or has anyone discovered another good headphone synergy with their mojo2? I prefer a warmer profile but the DSP on the mojo2 means I’m not too limited on other choices. Budget around £1500-2000. Thanks in advance!

Sep 16, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #5,420 of 11,001
I'd like to read a comparision between Apple dongle and Mojo 2. A comparision based on actual listening, not assumptions.
Such as iPhone+ Apple Music+ Dongle+ X Headphone ----- vs ---- iPhone+ Apple Music+ Mojo 2 +X Headphone
Thanks
Personal experience. iPhone plus Dragonfly Cobalt vs iPhone plus Mojo 2. Mojo wins in every way except size and weight. The Mojo 2 is very good!

Using Qobuz, Roon, Bandcamp.

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #5,421 of 11,001
After seeing the comparison video and posting that the 4.4mm was potentially technically better I did an A/B listening test myself comparing the Gryphons 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs.

I used M11 plus into Gryphon via a short Moon Audio coaxial cable and used Shanling ME700 IEM figuring that being easy to drive the power difference between the outputs wouldn’t be a factor. I used a ddhifi 3.5mm male to 4.4mm female adapter so swapping was as quick as unplugging and plugging in. I volume matched just by ear but also tried the test with the volume intentionally higher and lower to see if that changed any perceived difference, it didn’t.

I listened several Diana Krall songs with for the most part only upright bass, piano and vocals so each part of the music already quite distinct - streamed in 24/96 from Apple Music.

I wouldn’t pretend to have the most highly refined hearing and of course there could be some placebo effect since I was listening for differences but my listening impression was pretty much as was pointed out above.

I am sure that the instrument separation was better out of the 4.4mm, there was a slightly better sense of a 3D soundstage, the vocals were further forward in the soundstage and the vocals seemed to come from a more defined location in the soundstage whereas out of the 3.5mm the vocals were from a bigger area in the soundstage.

With full size headphones, especially those not so easy to drive, the increase in power available may also factor in with better driver control.
Thank for your impressions.
Regarding the placebo effect, or any possible bias, you could get someone to plug and unplug without you seing it.

Sep 17, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #5,423 of 11,001
I’ve had the mojo2poly combo since March and what a treat the pairing has been. I had my trepidations about the poly after reading about its initial teething problems after it’s release but I’m happy to report that this setup has been flawless so far and a big step up in both sound and user experience from my previous HiBy R6.

I’ve been using the mojo2poly exclusively with my spiral ear SE5U CIEMs and I’m looking to get some phones; has anyone tried the Z1Rs? or has anyone discovered another good headphone synergy with their mojo2? I prefer a warmer profile but the DSP on the mojo2 means I’m not too limited on other choices. Budget around £1500-2000. Thanks in advance!
I used mojopoly then mojo2poly and absolutely love them both. The only thing which might potentially tear me away would be Hugo2 if it has DSP. Anyway I’ve always loved my UM Mest 2. Now upgraded to UM Mest Indigo at just over 2k if u get a deal. Everything there in spades. Bass. Detail. Extension. Layering. Can’t see me moving away as it just impressed me with everything I listen to still. Good luck

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #5,424 of 11,001
I used mojopoly then mojo2poly and absolutely love them both. The only thing which might potentially tear me away would be Hugo2 if it has DSP. Anyway I’ve always loved my UM Mest 2. Now upgraded to UM Mest Indigo at just over 2k if u get a deal. Everything there in spades. Bass. Detail. Extension. Layering. Can’t see me moving away as it just impressed me with everything I listen to still. Good luck
Thanks, Alan - yep I’d be interested in a future Hugo upgrade with DSP. Thanks for the IEM suggestion, I’ll keep them in mind but Spiral Ears have won enough goodwill with me that any future IEM upgrade would mean their TOTL CIEMs would be front of the queue; love their warm resolving sound. Apologies, I should clarify I am looking for over-ear headphones that pair well with the mojo2. Thanks

Sep 17, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #5,425 of 11,001
Thanks, Alan - yep I’d be interested in a future Hugo upgrade with DSP. Thanks for the IEM suggestion, I’ll keep them in mind but Spiral Ears have won enough goodwill with me that any future IEM upgrade would mean their TOTL CIEMs would be front of the queue; love their warm resolving sound. Apologies, I should clarify I am looking for over-ear headphones that pair well with the mojo2. Thanks
Meze Liric is good hp with M2.

Sep 17, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #5,426 of 11,001
Thanks. Can you also compare Mojo 2 with Apple lightning to 3.5 mm dongle ?
Mojo 2 has a much larger and deeper stage, better imaging, clarity, detail and definition. Apple dongle sounds quite lifeless and mushed together in comparison. But the headphones or IEMs you are using will also influence how much difference it will make. My SONY IER-M9 benefit more from Mojo 2 compared to the Moondrop Variations.

Also don‘t expect differences like between different headphones. Source differences are somewhat strange as they appear small at first listen but are fundamental for sound quality. The best allegory I can think of would be that a source is like a camera‘s lens and sensor and the heaphone/IEM is the image processing. You want your lens and sensor to be as accurate as possible to give the best possible data. Image processing is then a matter of preference and taste, but it can never recover lost information. Like all allegories it is not totally accurate but I hope it hepls making my point clearer.

Sep 18, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #5,428 of 11,001
Does anyone have both USB-C and Toslink plugged into Mojo 2 at the same time?

I'm using the WiiM Mini Streamer (which sounds great into the Mojo) plugged in via Toslink and I've got my PC plugged in via USB-C. The problem I'm having is that the Mojo will only playback from USB-C when both are plugged in. I can't get sound from Toslink.

If I unplug USB-C, then I get sound from the streamer through the Toslink input.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #5,430 of 11,001
Does anyone have both USB-C and Toslink plugged into Mojo 2 at the same time?

I'm using the WiiM Mini Streamer (which sounds great into the Mojo) plugged in via Toslink and I've got my PC plugged in via USB-C. The problem I'm having is that the Mojo will only playback from USB-C when both are plugged in. I can't get sound from Toslink.

If I unplug USB-C, then I get sound from the streamer through the Toslink input.

Any ideas?
I think the automatic input selection is the same on Mojo and Mojo 2, which means that the inputs are checked/selected in order of priority.
USB has priority 1, and is selected by default if Mojo 2 detects 5V on the VBUS pin of the plug/socket.
  • When you have both USB and Toslink plugged in (and switched on at the source) your Mojo 2 is detecting the 5V VBUS and selecting the input from your PC, even if your Streamer is switched on.
  • When you unplug the USB cable (or alternatively switch your PC off), the 5V on the VBUS disappears, so the Mojo 2 will next check and use your Toslink input.
This is partly explained in this post for the Mojo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back