Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 9, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #3,661 of 10,534
Not if it is wired internally similarly to the Mojo1. For that, two of the pins carry the data signal, and from the other 2 pins the 5V VBUS pin is just used to switch the USB port electronics on (and is not connected to the battery charging/power circuitry). Rob has described it in some of his other M1 posts.
Tnx for the help.I accidently connected the usb c charger on it the first time.But it was only a few seconds.And then i remember it must be charged with usm micro. 😅

Apr 9, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #3,662 of 10,534
You are right.
It's not the cable, I have just tried every cable that is in my house including the cable that came with Mojo 2.

They all have white noise. So I can't use USB anymore, I have to order a coaxial cable for FiiO M11 Pro now. Jeez...this sucks man.
This should be unacceptable for a DAC that is supposed to be transportable. Get a replacement unit for this white noise issue. May be that will force chord to look into it more seriously.

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #3,663 of 10,534
Because to get optical out of my macbook I had to use this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QFYNB7Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details which takes up one of my 2 thunderbolt ports, the sound was pretty much the same because I used a cheap 10 dollar cable, and I don't want to start buying glass cables and all that I just wanted to see if I could notice a difference, my ears are pretty lousy anyway I probably couldn't appreciate it even if I bought the best glass cable, finally my preferred desktop mode charge cable is L shaped and blocks the optical jack on the mojo so I'd have to buy another one.
The USB to SPIDF adapter looks like the way to go if you are using a MacBook.

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:24 AM Post #3,664 of 10,534
You are right.
It's not the cable, I have just tried every cable that is in my house including the cable that came with Mojo 2.

They all have white noise. So I can't use USB anymore, I have to order a coaxial cable for FiiO M11 Pro now. Jeez...this sucks man.
Are you using any upsampling or "all to dsd" ?

Apr 9, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #3,665 of 10,534
This should be unacceptable for a DAC that is supposed to be transportable. Get a replacement unit for this white noise issue. May be that will force chord to look into it more seriously.
Blast my ears and threaten my livelihood and a replacement unit would be their smallest problem. I have not had any issues with my Mojo 1 though.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #3,666 of 10,534

It kind of defeats the purpose of having such a small, elegant device if you need multiple cables and adapters to use it. That was one of the most groundbreaking things about the original iPod (other than the storage capacity) -- it just had a single (Firewire) port which was used both for charging and data transfer. That's one of the best features of Firewire, USB and its successors (although the lack of standardization with USB makes it a little bit of a mess).

Even ethernet has adopted that approach. Things like security cameras, some ethernet switches, and many other devices can be powered over their ethernet cables from hundreds of feet away without requiring a separate power cable. That includes some pro audio devices like the Hear Technologies M8RX which is a personal monitor mixer and headphone amp that transmits both audio (Dante protocol) and power over a single ethernet cable.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #3,667 of 10,534
Yes, I just raised a return request with headphonezone.in. I tested this again and it only happens when switching between high resolution tracks and normal tracks.

With switching between normal tracks, there is no white noise.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #3,668 of 10,534
Yes, I just raised a return request with headphonezone.in. I tested this again and it only happens when switching between high resolution tracks and normal tracks.

This has been explained many times over the past few years on the chord head-fi threads. Check the explanations by @Rob Watts . If two consecutive tracks have different data rates, then the FPGA is being to asked to process data which contains two different data rates, and the result is the white noise. I think the solution was to select the music player app settings for 'mute the start of tracks', but that is not ideal for lovers of classical music.

Apr 9, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #3,669 of 10,534
I get that it's a problem with all chord firmwares, but that doesn't mean there aren't solutions people can try, I fixed my macbook playback by using a different cable usb data input, literally the only change I made, so, I think people should try any solution they can rather than wait for chord to issue fixes as they seem to want to pretend this issue doesn't exist.
I also has the issue when I first received the Mojo 2.

I am using a windows 10 laptop, and a fairly basic USB A to C cable for the data into the Mojo

After some trial and error the following seems to have solved it:
- Wasapi exclusive mode for Qobuz
- Fixing the default format in shared mode to 24bit / 48kHz, in the sound control panel (this then applies to things like Spotify or YT)

What I think this does is eliminate the mismatch in bit rate / frequency that I suspect is behind the issue.
I also have windows notifications all turned off but that was always the case for me as I can't stand them.

No white noise or packet dropping in a couple dozen hours of listening now... fingers crossed it lasts.

Apr 9, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #3,670 of 10,534
On another note, been listening to my LCD-2C through the Mojo 2 and using the EQ to lift the upper mids (3Khz+). Just lovely, works so well and the Audezes feel so full and rich now... loving the sound this little machine delivers.

Apr 9, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #3,671 of 10,534
I
This has been explained many times over the past few years on the chord head-fi threads. Check the explanations by @Rob Watts . If two consecutive tracks have different data rates, then the FPGA is being to asked to process data which contains two different data rates, and the result is the white noise. I think the solution was to select the music player app settings for 'mute the start of tracks', but that is not ideal for lovers of classical music.
never had such issue with Mojo 1 and I play via Roon radio so tracks with various sample rates are played

Apr 9, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #3,672 of 10,534

It just doesn't like your player. I am not defending Chord! they should have fixed this long ago, but compatibility with everything is nigh impossible.
FWIW, My Huawei android phone with DIY cabling, never misses a beat - no white noise.
Hi-res to normal to DSD - no issues.
That is with Mojo Classic, Mojo2 and Hugo2.

Apr 9, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #3,673 of 10,534
I

never had such issue with Mojo 1 and I play via Roon radio so tracks with various sample rates are played
I've had the issue with Mojo OG, for the same reason that I've had it with Mojo 2 - the micro-USB connector getting bumped loose (of course, there could be other reasons I'm detailing my experience). Since setting up my Mojos on a desktop, careful not to move/bump either Mojo there's been no interruptions nor white noise. Based on my two units, it isn't particular to the M2 at all. Still think that micro-USB was an unfortunate USB connector, Chord would have done better IMO with mini-USB, which is a much stronger and more stable connection due to the larger connector/deeper fit.

Still surprised to read that it can happen with a USB-C cable, that's the best USB connector IMO in common use in terms of being physically secure and stable.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #3,674 of 10,534
Why not just use the optical output from the macbook with a regular optical cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back