Chord Mojo 2 Thread ___ [product released January 31, 2022 -- starting on page 95 of thread]
Apr 7, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #3,616 of 10,535
Nevertheless, just out of curiosity I'm testing my Mojo 2 right now on an Intel-based Mac using an OWC Thunderbolt 4 cable with the headphone output connected to a powered speaker. I have the Mojo 2 set to max volume and the speaker volume turned down so presumably any burst of white noise wouldn't be much louder than other sounds if it occurs. Nothing so far.

I ran my Mojo 2 for eight hours or so using the OWC Thunderbolt 4 cable on my Mac using a variety of apps and also with the system notification sounds being routed to it. I did a lot of starting and stopping, switching between apps like Amazon Music and Roon, playing random Twitter videos, and extended periods of uninterrupted music playback and never experienced the white noise.

What I did realize after the eight hours is that not only doesn't it charge the battery from the USB-C port, but it can't even run in desktop mode off the USB-C port with a fully charged battery. The battery had been draining the whole time and I had to plug in a micro-USB cable in addition to the USB-C cable to get it going again. I guess I was a little confused by some of the descriptions of desktop mode and was thinking it could essentially bypass the battery when it's plugged into USB-C. But bypassing the battery apparently only refers to drawing power from the dedicated micro-USB charging port while playing audio using one of the other USB ports.

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #3,617 of 10,535
What I did realize after the eight hours is that not only doesn't it charge the battery from the USB-C port, but it can't even run in desktop mode off the USB-C port with a fully charged battery. The battery had been draining the whole time and I had to plug in a micro-USB cable in addition to the USB-C cable to get it going again. I guess I was a little confused by some of the descriptions of desktop mode and was thinking it could essentially bypass the battery when it's plugged into USB-C. But bypassing the battery apparently only refers to drawing power from the dedicated micro-USB charging port while playing audio using one of the other USB ports.
That is well covered in the included owners manual.

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #3,618 of 10,535
That is well covered in the included owners manual.

The manual isn't very explicit about it, which it probably should be since the assumption is that all USB ports can provide power to some extent (USB-C can send 100 watts to simultaneously power and charge a giant laptop while sending 6K video, dozens of channels of hi-res audio, and many other things all at the same time but obviously I don't expect that from the Mojo 2). Even portable hard drives that include special cables that can draw power from two USB ports have almost always worked fine with a single USB port in my experience.

There are lots of headphone amps that can drive headphones reasonably well running off a single USB data port, and you even have things like the RME Babyface Pro FS that can not only drive headphones but do both A/D and D/A conversion, provide preamplification and phantom power for a couple microphones, mixing, parametric EQ, reverb, delay, etc. all off a single USB 2.0 port.

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #3,619 of 10,535
so the white noise only appear on pc\mac? And is ok with right cable and exclusive mode?
ios/android= OK?

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #3,620 of 10,535
I'm surprised to hear about the white noise thing. Have had the Mojo 1 for four years and Hugo 2 two years, used them with three different Windows PC's (and Android and iPhone) and never once heard this noise.

Only platform I haven't used them on is Mac.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 4:03 AM Post #3,621 of 10,535
maybe because of new USB SW in Mojo2?

Apr 7, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #3,622 of 10,535
The manual isn't very explicit about it, which it probably should be since the assumption is that all USB ports can provide power to some extent (USB-C can send 100 watts to simultaneously power and charge a giant laptop while sending 6K video, dozens of channels of hi-res audio, and many other things all at the same time but obviously I don't expect that from the Mojo 2). Even portable hard drives that include special cables that can draw power from two USB ports have almost always worked fine with a single USB port in my experience.

There are lots of headphone amps that can drive headphones reasonably well running off a single USB data port, and you even have things like the RME Babyface Pro FS that can not only drive headphones but do both A/D and D/A conversion, provide preamplification and phantom power for a couple microphones, mixing, parametric EQ, reverb, delay, etc. all off a single USB 2.0 port.
I believe charging can only be done via USB A but not USB C port.

Apr 7, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #3,623 of 10,535
I believe charging can only be done via USB A but not USB C port.

469DF644-8BB5-4C31-8129-806FBBEC12FA.png
126BE8E4-BC56-47BC-908A-6E98CEAFD3CE.png
9716B8D9-075E-4020-A10D-A5A15D10D43F.png
B59EFFAE-9FE4-40E8-BFDD-9F9B77528EE1.png
EB0F6ED1-F745-4944-9D1D-0802505D87F2.png
0B7C1966-FC4B-4073-9CA5-EED53C507F5C.png

Apr 7, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #3,625 of 10,535
I've had the Mojo for over 4 years and I've never had any issues with white noise.

I bought the Mojo 2 a week ago and today I was surprised by the white noise....

I was using it straight from my iPod Touch through the USB C/Lightning cable that came with my Lotoo Paw S1.

It was a terrifying noise and even more terrifying was the fear of having damaged the speakers of my Sennheiser IE900...

Luckily I had no problems with IE900.

All Ipod Touch sounds were off, as well as wifi and bluetooth.

I don't have any extra apps installed on the iPod Touch, even the original Apple apps that could be deleted I deleted.

I only use the Music app on Ipod Touch, to listen only to songs downloaded to the Ipod (to allow wi-fi and bluetooth off).

I don't know what could have caused the noise...

As I have the Chord Poly I will use the Mojo 2 with it to listen via AirPlay (which limits the audio quality) or through the songs recorded on my microSD card in the Poly (which give me full quality but is much less practical).

But this Mojo 2 problem is at least disappointing....

Does anyone know of any USB C/Lightning cable "immune" to this problem?

As there is no firmware update for the Mojo, I believe that this problem will never be solved...

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #3,626 of 10,535
I've had the Mojo for over 4 years and I've never had any issues with white noise.

I bought the Mojo 2 a week ago and today I was surprised by the white noise....

I was using it straight from my iPod Touch through the USB C/Lightning cable that came with my Lotoo Paw S1.

It was a terrifying noise and even more terrifying was the fear of having damaged the speakers of my Sennheiser IE900...

Luckily I had no problems with IE900.

All Ipod Touch sounds were off, as well as wifi and bluetooth.

I don't have any extra apps installed on the iPod Touch, even the original Apple apps that could be deleted I deleted.

I only use the Music app on Ipod Touch, to listen only to songs downloaded to the Ipod (to allow wi-fi and bluetooth off).

I don't know what could have caused the noise...

As I have the Chord Poly I will use the Mojo 2 with it to listen via AirPlay (which limits the audio quality) or through the songs recorded on my microSD card in the Poly (which give me full quality but is much less practical).

But this Mojo 2 problem is at least disappointing....

Does anyone know of any USB C/Lightning cable "immune" to this problem?

As there is no firmware update for the Mojo, I believe that this problem will never be solved...

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #3,627 of 10,535
I have M1 and M2 and have had the white noise issue with each, using with micro USB cable. Generally happens
in my case when the Mojo's USB connector gets accidentally dislodged. I'm quite sure the issue isn't with the Mojo 2 as I haven't had
the issue for weeks, since using my tablet for music playback instead of my Mac. It's really stable now, no noise!

I haven't used the USB C input as I don't have any good sounding USB-C cables, if one is
available I may switch (the Apple USB-C charging cable's works but doesn't sound as good as.....)
currently using my trusty Curious Hugo Link along with AQ JB and
Apple USB-C adapter to iPad Pro. As long as I don't move the Mojo 2 there is no issue with white noise.

Hopefully the issue will soon be resolved for you, however I'm quite sure it's not an issue that affects Mojo 2
in particular, it's been reported with other Chord DACS including Mojo 1, Qutest and Dave and other makes of
DAC's as well.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #3,628 of 10,535
I have never heard any white noise from my Mojo 1 and I have it since March 2016.

I don’t think it is common with Mojo 1 as it is with Mojo 2

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #3,629 of 10,535
So i got the mojo 2 today,and it sounds fantastic,but i hear some distortion in the sound that come and go.Like the sound of the sparkling in a fireplace.Jitter? I use the cable that followed my samsung note 10 plus.Maybe i should get another cable?

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #3,630 of 10,535
So i got the mojo 2 today,and it sounds fantastic,but i hear some distortion in the sound that come and go.Like the sound of the sparkling in a fireplace.Jitter? I use the cable that followed my samsung note 10 plus.Maybe i should get another cable?
Yes, that’s the packet drop. It may be cable related but most of the time source is the culprit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back