Chord M Scaler - Optical input refusing 192 kHz
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gartenfreund505

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased a Chord Hugo TT2 along with a Chord M Scaler. Unfortunately, the M Scaler refuses to process files with a bitrate of 192kHz via the optical input; audio files up to 176kHz run without problems; likewise 192kHz files are played via USB or BNC input without problems.

I normally use a Bluesound Node as media server streaming Qobuz.

A second M Scaler device provided for testing purposes shows the same behavior. In this respect, it is reasonable to assume that the cause is my equipment. Therefore, I have tried different media servers, cables and audio files of various origins. Unfortunately, all without success. No matter which of the different Toslink cables I use, no matter whether the files are from Bluesound or via PC, no matter whether Qobuz or local files the M Scaler does not play 192kHz.)

Curiously, when connected directly to the optical input of the Hugo TT2 (that is, bypassing the M Scaler) 192kHz audio files are played correctly in all the above variations without exception.

In this respect, I am now at a loss and wonder
- if the M Scaler simply cannot generally process files with a bitrate greater than 176kHz via the optical input, or
- if I am making a mistake or overlooking something, or - most unlikely -
- if both M Scalers tried are faulty.

Help is well appreciated.

Dec 10, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 5
I recently purchased a Chord Hugo TT2 along with a Chord M Scaler. Unfortunately, the M Scaler refuses to process files with a bitrate of 192kHz via the optical input; audio files up to 176kHz run without problems; likewise 192kHz files are played via USB or BNC input without problems.

I normally use a Bluesound Node as media server streaming Qobuz.

A second M Scaler device provided for testing purposes shows the same behavior. In this respect, it is reasonable to assume that the cause is my equipment. Therefore, I have tried different media servers, cables and audio files of various origins. Unfortunately, all without success. No matter which of the different Toslink cables I use, no matter whether the files are from Bluesound or via PC, no matter whether Qobuz or local files the M Scaler does not play 192kHz.)

Curiously, when connected directly to the optical input of the Hugo TT2 (that is, bypassing the M Scaler) 192kHz audio files are played correctly in all the above variations without exception.

In this respect, I am now at a loss and wonder
- if the M Scaler simply cannot generally process files with a bitrate greater than 176kHz via the optical input, or
- if I am making a mistake or overlooking something, or - most unlikely -
- if both M Scalers tried are faulty.

Help is well appreciated.
Hi, I was running into the same issue you described. Had success by using a coaxial output from my streamer to the BNC input on the M scaler instead of the optical connection. Just need an RCA to BNC adapter. Then it played 192 KHz files just fine. Unsure why the optical out can't deal with the 192 KHz files. But fortunately there is a way around it.

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi, I was running into the same issue you described. Had success by using a coaxial output from my streamer to the BNC input on the M scaler instead of the optical connection. Just need an RCA to BNC adapter. Then it played 192 KHz files just fine. Unsure why the optical out can't deal with the 192 KHz files. But fortunately there is a way around it.
Thanks for your suggestion. The developer of the MScaler - Rob Watts - recommends to use the optical input as this input should deliver the best sound quality. Therefore I was focused on the optical input. Fortunately, somewhere in the forum I found a reference to a Toslink-cable from Kabeldirekt (Amazon less than 10 EUR), which - in contrast to the enclosed stock Toslink-cable and for instance the much more expensive Wireworld Supernova - transmits music files with a bit rate of 192 KHz to the Mscaler without any problems.

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your suggestion. The developer of the MScaler - Rob Watts - recommends to use the optical input as this input should deliver the best sound quality. Therefore I was focused on the optical input. Fortunately, somewhere in the forum I found a reference to a Toslink-cable from Kabeldirekt (Amazon less than 10 EUR), which - in contrast to the enclosed stock Toslink-cable and for instance the much more expensive Wireworld Supernova - transmits music files with a bit rate of 192 KHz to the Mscaler without any problems.
Anytime, happy to share. Also, thank you for sharing the information about the different optical cable. Much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back