Chord Hugo Tuning Thread (Batteries, LPSU, Cables)
Dec 5, 2014 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sonorsnoopy

New Head-Fier
The battery is the most limiting part of the chord hugo´s performance. With evolving battery technology the performance bar might be raised over time. A factor for better PRAT, richness, continuity and dynamics is the internal resistance of the battery which should be as low as possible. In the forums of electrical bikes and electrical cigarettes there is a lot of talk of the latest battery technology. The most interesting replacement battery is :

LG ICR18650HE2  internal resistance of 21 mOhm and a good discharge curve. A little smaller in dimension than the original enix battery but same voltage rating (3,7V nominal / 4.2V max.) and more capacity (2500 mAh)

For stationary hugo users the larger a123systems AMP20 LIFEPO4 battery with an internal resistance of 2 mOhm would be very interesting. It tops only at 3,8V but with that low internal resistance and 20000 mAh it will be there for a very long time and super super stable.

The new desktop DACs from Chord will be much more expensive. Batteries need to be replaced after some time anyway. This thread should be battery information, actual tuning experience and USB cabling experience. The hugo can only get better with time...

(my hugo has still warranty on it so no actual experience from my side yet)

Dec 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 16
Let's see if this thread were staying, moved, or removed. Last time I was merely posting some pictures about replacing 3 RCA connectors with much better ones and it's gone for good. LOL

Adding a ground box is good, Entreq should have quite a few options.

Adding a headphone conditioner (isolation transformer) is good, NXT-2AK from Nice Sound (Nakamura Corporation) could even convert single-ended outputs into balanced outputs.

Nice Sound also made NMMB01 and NMMB02 (Miracle Music Bank) for cleaning up DC power. They also made NDC-P01 to improve coaxial digital connections.

548269ea3e8e5.jpg

548269f32ce78.jpg

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 16
 The battery is the most limiting part of the chord hugo´s performance. With evolving battery technology the performance bar might be raised over time. A factor for better PRAT, richness, continuity and dynamics is the internal resistance of the battery which should be as low as possible. In the forums of electrical bikes and electrical cigarettes there is a lot of talk of the latest battery technology. 

Hi sonorsnoopy,

One of the reasons I like the Hugo is that it is battery driven and the battery is trickle charged.  This minimises the potential negative effects of AC noise and helps to ensure battery longevity. 

1) Battery: Are you sure the internal resistance of an aftermarket battery will have an effect on the Hugo's PRAT, richness and dynamics? 

Afaik, the Hugo's chips and boards sip power from the battery, while plugging in the charger trickle charges the battery (as such, the power consumption and charging are kept separate). Usually, battery upgrades are aimed at increasing available power (electric bike goes faster), lengthening usage time (smoking e-cigarette for longer hours) or replacing a damaged/defective unit (electric bike works again so that one can not pedal, and still go further, while smoking an e-cigarette).

BTW, it has been noted another thread that charging a Hugo with an aftermarket charger is a no-no because it could trigger/damage the protection circuit in the Hugo.

2) LPSU and power cleaner: Again, since the Hugo's chips and boards do not tap AC or DC power directly from a power point, is it relevant?

If the Hugo draws power from a USB port (like some other dacs), it may also make some sonic sense. However, the Hugo does not do this, and that's why it is PNP with iOS devices.

3) Cables: Rob Watts has posted that using aftermarket cables may "improve" sound, depending on what one is seeking - more resolution, more analogue sound, better sound staging, etc. He also said it was a "minefield", so ymmv.  Anyway, upgrading cables at least seems okay because it is easily reversible and does involve "open heart surgery" and voiding the warranty.

4) Coaxial connector: Seems to make sense, connection-wise, especially if the coax connector that came with the Hugo does not do its job well. As noted in the other Hugo thread, some prefer to use a S/PDIF convertor for better results.

5) Headphone conditioner: I do not know enough about this device to comment.  Please share your viewpoint(s) on how it could make the Hugo sound better.

Just to be clear, I don't mean to come across as being negative to the spirit of this thread.

Like you, I like the Hugo. Like you, I too want to maximise my Hugo experience. There would be many other head-fi-ers who agree with this intent.  

However, the solutions/benefits we seek should be both sensible (in the context of how the Hugo is designed/implemented and how it works) and audible. 

Cheers.

P.S. If I have gotten any facts wrong, please feel free to correct me, as I like to learn. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #5 of 16

Hi level 3,

1) the lower the internal resistance the more stable is the battery = better dynamics & timing. = more top speed for a e-bike or better glow in a e-cigarette.

2) at this time battery technology can't touch a proper LPSU yet. The hugo uses DC from the batteries. LPSU produces very stable DC. You will have to pay a lot for that in the new Chord desktop DAC.

3) i am sure most would want to know which cable would be more analogue and which one would be faster

The only way to improve the hugo is to improve the power supply. The power supply is at least 50% important for good sound in electronics.

One day everybody needs to change the battery, wants to upgrade a cable - this is the thread for it.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 16
How about Panasonic NCR18650B (unprotected) 3400mAh? What's the best unprotected 18650 for Hugo? Stock batteries is almost dead. It takes about 16-18 hours for full charge.
What's stock protection modules? Maybe it should be replaced?

I love 18650 :)

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 16
Did anyone replace their internal batteries (mine seem to be malfunctioning, and I do not know yet if I am eligible for warranty)? What were the results soundwise?

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #9 of 16
Although Hugo uses battery but noise from its PSU does get into sound - you can hear it by unplugging DC plug. Maybe my mains is noisy who knows, whichever way it is annoying. Might consider getting one of iFi filter thing...

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 16
Coming up on three years before you know it.  Looking forward to a little DIY on the Hugo.  I am interested in using a more robust power supply on the Hugo.  Does anyone know the specs on power, voltage, draw?  What is the range?  Looks like we have two 3.7V batteries powering it at the moment.  Supplied power supply 12V .6ah 7.2 watts. 
If one, like myself, uses the Hugo in a desktop setting only.  Shouldn't be a problem to remove the batteries and hardwire a high quality LPSU.

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 16
The battery is the most limiting part of the chord hugo´s performance. With evolving battery technology the performance bar might be raised over time. A factor for better PRAT, richness, continuity and dynamics is the internal resistance of the battery which should be as low as possible. In the forums of electrical bikes and electrical cigarettes there is a lot of talk of the latest battery technology. The most interesting replacement battery is :

LG ICR18650HE2 internal resistance of 21 mOhm and a good discharge curve. A little smaller in dimension than the original enix battery but same voltage rating (3,7V nominal / 4.2V max.) and more capacity (2500

For stationary hugo users the larger a123systems AMP20 LIFEPO4 battery with an internal resistance of 2 mOhm would be very interesting. It tops only at 3,8V but with that low internal resistance and 20000 mAh it will be there for a very long time and super super stable.

The new desktop DACs from Chord will be much more expensive. Batteries need to be replaced after some time anyway. This thread should be battery information, actual tuning experience and USB cabling experience. The hugo can only get better with time...

Hi you maybe able to help

I have a Chord Hugo and noticed recently that the white charging light is continually flashing it's been on charge now for 5 + hours and still flashing away.
I played the Hugo for about 15 mins then left in switched on but it seemed to go dead again. I have left it switched off and on charge for the last 5 hours still flashing.
I use it as a permanent DAC and continually on charge however I knock out the charged by accident last night but the Hugo was switch off.
Advice or any experience of thus please.
Any help would be appreciated

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 16
My Hugo DAC went dead. When I turn it on with the power plug on, the Auth LED lamp blinks rapidly with some noise and then does not operate. No power at all if I unplug the power.
Hugo customer service confirmed that the batteries needed to be replaced. And then called US Chord service center to find out that replacing the batteries cost $350 + shipping.

So, I took a stab and replaced the batteries by myself. I bought two Samsung Rechargeable Li-ion Battery ICR 18650 22F 3.6V 2200mAh for $20 and they worked flawlessly in my Hugo.
You will need to do some soldering but nothing complicate. For the replacement battery, make sure you buy the one with taps so that you can easily solder the wire.

Feb 28, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 16
I used Ansmann-2347-3008-01. They have stock cables soldered and integrated protection(integrated safety board). They are 2600 mAh capacity which is a nice upgrade of the stock 2200 mAh.
They fit perfectly (if you cant properly close the lid, then you didn't place the batteries correctly, try to re-align them rotating).
I was monitoring how Hugo will deal with the charging of the new batteries, it handled the charging perfectly, stopping exactly at 4.200V as it does with the original batteries.
I found them for 28 Euro for 2. Soldered them myself.
The soldering is not easy because especially for one of the batteries, the contacts on the main board are very close to each other, so be careful when removing the old batteries and soldering the new ones to not cause a short circuit (the new ones on paper have internal protection against short circuit).

As for the sound...I still can't say if it's an upgrade or downgrade.

Sep 7, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 16
Eu uso Ansmann-2347-3008-01. Possuem cabos de estoque soldados e integração (placa de segurança integrada). Eles têm capacidade de 2600 mAh, o que é uma boa atualização do estoque de 2200 mAh.
Eles se fecharam corretamente.
Eu estava monitorando como o Hugo vai lidar com o carregamento das novas baterias.
Encontrei-os por 28 euros por 2. Soldei-os eu mesmo.
A instalação não é fácil principalmente para uma das baterias, os contatos da placa principal ficam muito próximos uns dos outros, então tome cuidado ao retirar as baterias velhas e soldar as novas para não causar curto-circuito (as novas no papel possuem proteção interna contra curto-circuito).

Quanto ao som...ainda não posso dizer se é um upgrade ou downgrade.
Boa noite, a bateria que você trocou no seu Hugo UM é realmente boa? qualquer opção melhor para os tempos de hoje? Muito obrigado

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back