CHORD HUGO preview report
Jan 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #212 of 519
I'm going to wait to see how this works out - need a dap worthy of the dac inside.
I'd be interested to see how this fits in with cavalli audio's portable.

good idea. and Ugh this year has WAY to many Spring releases q.q 

I have a feeling I'm going to wind up really broke... again 

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #213 of 519

It is a Norwegian streaming service that is supposed to have more than 23,000,000 songs (I have'nt counted), and they have a service that streams in CD quality.
At home I have a 70Gb download speed, so it is not a problem streaming this quality over the internet, and downloads are quite fast.

https://wimp.no/wweb/iwannarock/ (use Google translate)

As you can see the Premium service (AAC 320 KBPS) costs 99,- NOK a month, and the Hi-Fi service (16/44.1 FLAC) costs 199,- NOK a month.
That is approximately $16 and $32 a month (USD).

When I want to use offline playlists I just choose songs, albums or playlists that I want to use offline, and my iOS device starts the download.. once a month it needs to be connected to the internet though.. because the app needs to confirm that I am still a customer.

And to be clear.. I do not have ALL songs available locally.. :wink:

Thanks nOtEcH, this is a good discovery for the CD quality streaming services, have been searching for CD quality streaming for a long time. Lets hope it will be available in US soon.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #214 of 519
I do not know their market strategy other than that they have focused on quality and not quantity (not as Spotify).
Currently they are in these countries:
Norway
Sweden
Denmark
Germany
Poland

You could sign up here, and if many from USA signs maybe they would want to try to expand in your market?
http://wimpmusic.com/wweb/index/

(I did just try connecting to Wimp HiFi and played "as a US citizen" (using VPN from Norway to USA and without VPN from the US to Norway) and it worked. I guess that it is possible for "outsiders" to use the streaming service, but the cruix will be to get an account as it is connected to a mobile account (cell number). If you want to use an iDevice you would also need a iTunes account in a country that has Wimp available.)

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #215 of 519
The more I read about this, the more it seems suitable to me as an all in one hifi solution if I can use it for home, car, portable etc.

Can it be used with an ipod classic? I don't see a (standard) usb port...being that Hugo is supposed to have a good DAC, I don't see an absolute need to pair it with a supremely good DAP, as I mostly have lossless cd rips.

Also, has anyone tried it with LCD-X? Good pairing? I'm also wondering if it can be powered sufficiently at high volume levels, I don't want to max the volume out with the output still being just lukewarm.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #216 of 519
The more I read about this, the more it seems suitable to me as an all in one hifi solution if I can use it for home, car, portable etc.

Can it be used with an ipod classic? I don't see a (standard) usb port...being that Hugo is supposed to have a good DAC, I don't see an absolute need to pair it with a supremely good DAP, as I mostly have lossless cd rips.

Also, has anyone tried it with LCD-X? Good pairing? I'm also wondering if it can be powered sufficiently at high volume levels, I don't want to max the volume out with the output still being just lukewarm.

I am just guessing but probably there should be a way to pair it with iPod Classic. Most probably you will need a special cable that will make you bypass ipod's dac and amp and lets you use it as a pure transfer.

Experienced users might want to explain more detailed of course, my knowledge on IPC is limited, it has been years I stopped following Apple news.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #217 of 519

I guess that you would need an iDAC and a digital out from that iDAC and in to the Hugo, as I do not believe that the Camera Connection Kit would work. That is new (again) in the iOS 7.
I guess that the iPod Classic still use Apple's properitary digital out format.

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #218 of 519
I do not know their market strategy other than that they have focused on quality and not quantity (not as Spotify).
Currently they are in these countries:
Norway
Sweden
Denmark
Germany
Poland

You could sign up here, and if many from USA signs maybe they would want to try to expand in your market?
http://wimpmusic.com/wweb/index/

(I did just try connecting to Wimp HiFi and played "as a US citizen" (using VPN from Norway to USA and without VPN from the US to Norway) and it worked. I guess that it is possible for "outsiders" to use the streaming service, but the cruix will be to get an account as it is connected to a mobile account (cell number). If you want to use an iDevice you would also need a iTunes account in a country that has Wimp available.)

Thanks for the info, I guess I will have to wait for US version as I don't have any mobile from those listed countries.

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #219 of 519
  ....  Chord will no-doubt roll-out a companion player of about the same size/look designed for portable use. It's a no-brain-er marketing-wise, and a compelling purchase for those who already using the Hugo. Have a look at the current Chord "stacks" with the Toucan, Qute, QB76, right through their Reference series and it will leave little doubt that there's probably a portable streamer in the works (DAP without a amp or DAC).
 - Lorne

I really hope that will do, but I doubt.  A "Micro battery operated audio server"' will be a dream gear !

Jan 20, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #220 of 519
I read in this thread about a portable HDD that could be connected, but it was missing a UPnP server?

I found this:
http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/wireless-plus/

and this:
http://www.hackseagatesatellite.com/wordpress/version-4/

It has initially about 10 hours of run time and with an SSD disk it can run even longer. How to change from the original HDD to SSD is described on the site above (last link).

The Seagate Wireless Plus can (with the hack) stream via UPnP to a device wirelessly (it creates a Wi-Fi hotspot) and then connect it to the Hugo.

I know that PlugPlayer (iOS, and maybe for Android also?) can play high res files from an UPnP server but I do not know if it will be down sampled or not. I found in the developers forum that he could add support for 24/192 it in the next version (in 2011) so I guess it works. Maybe there are other players that can do the same for iOS and/or Android also?

Edit:
The unhacked version also has a DLNA/UPnP server it seems but the hacked version seems to address/fix several issues.

Jan 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #222 of 519
Found this thread here on this forum that addresses portable HDD's, DLNA, streaming etc.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625493/ipad-with-24-bit-files-high-storage-capacity-portability-bit-perfect-configurations-that-work

8Player streams bit perfect from a DLNA server..

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #223 of 519
Interesting - have pre ordered one to hear for myself.

Anyone know if they are planning an iPhone app to control volume etc - or if they have a remote?

Cheers
Andrew

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #224 of 519
Samsung now makes a 1TB mSATA SSD which is a quarter the size of a 2.5-inch SSD.

A Hugo-sized tablet with 1TB storage would be nice.

+ 1000 :))))

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #225 of 519
From Chord regarding the Hugo:
"Yes it is very silent and will work well with IEM's"

And regarding low volume and channels:
"It is very balanced. The special digital volume control we use gives very accurate results."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back