Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 16, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #22,426 of 22,475
For replacement of the 18650 batteries, can I use new batteries with their own BMS? Or is it necessary to move the BMS of the old batteries to the new ones? (seems I need to move them to the new ones.)

Seems the CDR of the original batteries are so low, that I can get away with the maximum 3500mah capacity for this standardized size.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CHRF7SFN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I used these and literally installed them today. All seems well though I can't report on battery life. I do have a full charge blue light after the first charge.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #22,427 of 22,475
Can anyone with an OG utopia tell me how the pairing is? Looking to extract the most performance from the utopias, most of my gear is warmer leaning so I’m hoping this will provide a more analytical sound.

Also did anyone here ever have the Hugo 1? How different is it from the 2?

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #22,428 of 22,475
Can anyone with an OG utopia tell me how the pairing is? Looking to extract the most performance from the utopias, most of my gear is warmer leaning so I’m hoping this will provide a more analytical sound.

Personally, I found Hugo2 ==> OG Utopia to be 'too much of a good thing' -- too bright, too much detail (if that's possible).

I sold my Utopia, still own Hugo2.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #22,429 of 22,475

OG Utopia is a very interesting playback from the Hugo2. It's like if you got an Electrstatic headphone and managed to emulate it off a dynamic headphones.

Lots of subbass rumble, but less midbass hit.

Crazy detail and imaging contrast but little incisive feeling compared to what the OGUtopia can usually do. Like it is relatively soft.

Hugo2's treble extension can be a little unforgiving, not because of the 1 peak in the Focal OG Utopia's lower treble, but something in the "airy" region just gets a little emphasized in a way I usually relate to the HD800S.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #22,430 of 22,475
I still have my old Hugo1, but I need to change the batteries insides. So I can't compare it to my Hugo2.

I also need to change my Hugo2 battery at this point of time.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #22,431 of 22,475
Back where I started: Hugo 2. Bought again for at least the 3rd time, maybe the 4th. I bought new this time and will be keeping until Hugo 3 comes out in 2032. Going toslink this time after my last 2Go experience. Lotoo PAW D1 for desktop and Lotoo PAW 5000MK2 for portable, with its dedicated toslink output. That's it; ending where I began.

1000063.jpg1000055.jpg
i might be interested in this setup as well. i found 2go to be way too susceptible to interference noise. but can you stream with paw 5k ? i know you listen mostly local files but still would be nice to have as a discovery method…

also what toslink cable did you pick ?

do you have dsd files ? i have problem playing them (512s) on h2go combo. lotoo doesnt play them neither but i do wonder if it plays lower dsds alright…

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #22,432 of 22,475
i might be interested in this setup as well. i found 2go to be way too susceptible to interference noise. but can you stream with paw 5k ? i know you listen mostly local files but still would be nice to have as a discovery method…

also what toslink cable did you pick ?

do you have dsd files ? i have problem playing them (512s) on h2go combo. lotoo doesnt play them neither but i do wonder if it plays lower dsds alright…
Sorry to hear of the 2Go Issues. You cannot stream from Paw 5k. It has Bluetooth, but otherwise no. You might be better off with something like a Cayin DAP using USB-C to coax cable.

I went with a Supra toslink cable for portable use. It's rugged and could be stacked if desired. At some point, I'll give this cable a go - http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html

The downside with the Lotoo is that the battery life isn't long. But if you're only using it with Hugo 2 in portable mode, then it's about the same duration so shouldn't matter too much.

No problems playing DSD at 128/256, see below. I think I only have one DSD512 album - Mahler's 5th. I can try later. It might be that it's converted to PCM. Not sure, I'm not too big on DSD - always prefer PCM.

20240322_113215.jpg

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #22,433 of 22,475
OG Utopia is a very interesting playback from the Hugo2. It's like if you got an Electrstatic headphone and managed to emulate it off a dynamic headphones.

Hugo2's treble extension can be a little unforgiving, not because of the 1 peak in the Focal OG Utopia's lower treble, but something in the "airy" region just gets a little emphasized in a way I usually relate to the HD800S.
H2 pairs better with Utopia 2022. I found the Utopia OG a tad bright and fatiguing with H2 and if memory serves correctly I preferred the green filter which very subtly helped. Eventually my brain got used ot it. Detail was amazing. I generally used the clear/neutral filter for everything else. Had the sharpest roll off, resolution, clarity without any coloration. There was just that subtle downgrade using the red that meant I never went there.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #22,435 of 22,475
If you like a warmer sound, there’s the PWA one wired internally with Orpheus. I haven’t heard it but I asked the question the other day.

The other one is 1960s wire which is cardas light

Apr 2, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #22,436 of 22,475
Apr 11, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #22,438 of 22,475
Thanks for the info everyone.
I’ve been experimenting with different chargers (all 2.4A+) and cables (all supposedly rated 2A+ or “high speed charging”) and the cables are indeed the variable: Some work, some don’t.
With any of the chargers and the right cable things are working as expected: I get the 2A charge indicator, the Hugo2 fully charges, no flashing lights, and desktop mode activates when it should.
Hi, can you share a verified good usb cable / charger combo? I have a situation where my Hugo2 charges as expected on it's own. But when 2go is connected, the charging light on Hugo2 does not turn on at all / does not charge. The 2go, however does.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #22,439 of 22,475
Hi, can you share a verified good usb cable / charger combo? I have a situation where my Hugo2 charges as expected on it's own. But when 2go is connected, the charging light on Hugo2 does not turn on at all / does not charge. The 2go, however does.
That is a bit surprising.
However in the real world, many owners have learnt to charge the Hugo2 and the 2Go separately.
Have you tried that?

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #22,440 of 22,475
That is a bit surprising.
However in the real world, many owners have learnt to charge the Hugo2 and the 2Go separately.
Have you tried that?
Yes, and that works, and when combined operates as it should. Obviously it's very annoying to remove from the case, unscrew the 2go, and charge them separately every time the setup runs out of juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back