Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 11, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #22,201 of 22,475
New Toy!A tough&lovely Lotoo PAW-D1 usb interface :beyersmile: ,bring me darker background and deeper bass.

WechatIMG48.jpg
WechatIMG50.jpg

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #22,202 of 22,475
(removed)

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #22,203 of 22,475
Hey, has anyone experienced a similar issue with the Hugo 2? Some time ago, a noise appeared in the left channel. It doesn't matter what source is connected to it or if anything is connected at all. It's present in both headphone outputs but not in the RCA. The level of noise remains constant and is unaffected by the volume level. During playback, it's practically unnoticeable, but during breaks or when the music fades, it can be irritating...

Oct 12, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #22,204 of 22,475
Enjoying the Hugo 2 after having it for a day. However when flicking through the filtering and the X-PHD I honestly cant detect any difference in sound whatsoever, is it just remarkably subtle or more likely my ears are trashed?

Oct 12, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #22,205 of 22,475
Enjoying the Hugo 2 after having it for a day. However when flicking through the filtering and the X-PHD I honestly cant detect any difference in sound whatsoever, is it just remarkably subtle or more likely my ears are trashed?
I cant hear the filters difference but X-PHD gives noticable difference in presentation and bass boost for me.

Oct 12, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #22,206 of 22,475
I cant hear the filters difference but X-PHD gives noticable difference in presentation and bass boost for me.
Thank you, I have both X-PHD and the filters on red, if I was to want the most bass boosted settings which would I choose?

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #22,207 of 22,475
Thank you, I have both X-PHD and the filters on red, if I was to want the most bass boosted settings which would I choose?
I generally find the filters to change the feel of the sound very slightly, rather than making any obvious roll off of the top end, but my ears are too old to detect stuff around 20KHz at normal listening levels.

X-PHD seems to very slightly lift bass. I think part of this is in the signal processing (I seem to remember reading that the DSP for X-PHD elevates the lowest 200 Hz by 1dB) and also where bass is strongly allocated to one channel, in the recording, it seems to feel more present if heard by both ears.

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #22,208 of 22,475
I generally find the filters to change the feel of the sound very slightly, rather than making any obvious roll off of the top end, but my ears are too old to detect stuff around 20KHz at normal listening levels.

X-PHD seems to very slightly lift bass. I think part of this is in the signal processing (I seem to remember reading that the DSP for X-PHD elevates the lowest 200 Hz by 1dB) and also where bass is strongly allocated to one channel, in the recording, it seems to feel more present if heard by both ears.

Thanks, I will sit with this for a while and gradually work out what is best.

To be honest, currently my choice has been made based on what colour LED looks most appealing to me (red).

Oct 12, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #22,209 of 22,475
Thanks, I will sit with this for a while and gradually work out what is best.

To be honest, currently my choice has been made based on what colour LED looks most appealing to me (red).
I run white filter on files up to 48KHz, green on everything else. X-PHD off for most modern recordings and anywhere between red and blue on older recordings if I feel they need it. All very subjective!

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #22,210 of 22,475
Crossfeed (X-PHD) changes things very noticeably, even on modern recordings. You literally do away with the complete channels separation that is so unnatural. Sound from the other channel gets fed in and it all sounds more like listening to the real world or to speakers. I can hear the difference when going from zero, to a little, to more, to max crossfeed on any track. The green setting is probably the best one (mid cross-fade).

Indeed, the change from the filter setting is more subtle. Focus on things like treble to hear the difference.

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #22,212 of 22,475
Has anyone compared the MoJo 2 vs the Hugo 2? I have a Mojo and am considering moving up… but only if it’s an upgrade.
It is a subtantial upgrade sound-wise, only downer is no EQ function. But of course on the Mojo 2 thread you'll catch a lot of users say it's comparable sound-wise - it really isn't. But it's all subjective, you gotta listen yourself and decide. I have both devices, and use the Mojo 2 just when I travel. Would never use the M2 over H2 when I'm at home, it's that substantial difference to me.

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #22,213 of 22,475
It is a subtantial upgrade sound-wise, only downer is no EQ function. But of course on the Mojo 2 thread you'll catch a lot of users say it's comparable sound-wise - it really isn't. But it's all subjective, you gotta listen yourself and decide. I have both devices, and use the Mojo 2 just when I travel. Would never use the M2 over H2 when I'm at home, it's that substantial difference to me.
I concur, owned the Hugo 2 for a long while before selling it earlier in the year in anticipation for Hugo 3. I bought Mojo 2 to tide me over and although good, it doesn't really touch the Hugo 2 in terms of sound - The EQ and sound for the size / price is very very good however.

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #22,214 of 22,475
I concur, owned the Hugo 2 for a long while before selling it earlier in the year in anticipation for Hugo 3. I bought Mojo 2 to tide me over and although good, it doesn't really touch the Hugo 2 in terms of sound - The EQ and sound for the size / price is very very good however.
Right. Not to knock the M2 or anything, it's a fantastic little device. Awesome value.

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #22,215 of 22,475
Any word on when the Hugo 3 might come out? I really enjoy the EQ on the MOJO2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back