Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 24, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #22,141 of 22,475
And
Take a look on Toslink measuremetns of Wiim mini here.
And compare with measuremets of Hugo 2 (over Toslink part). :)

index.php

And this is your Kern :), Mr. Boldakov.
UNBALDashboard-1.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #22,142 of 22,475
Take a look on Toslink measuremetns of Wiim mini here.

Can't see jitter measurements (in femtoseconds) here and how they can be compared even to an ordinary Singxer SU-6 or Denafrips Gaia jitter measurements..

Can't believe this "Wiim mini" box could reach somewere close to normal digital transport.. But I whould be happy for users if they admit any victory of Wiim mini over those ordinary DDCs 🤷

SP2000 clock specs:
Screenshot_20230825_092157_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #22,143 of 22,475
And this is your Kern :), Mr. Boldakov

Sorry, I do not listen to Kern itself, I listen to Hugo 2 feeded by kern)

I'm using SP2000 as it can handle UAPP and playing to Hugo 2 better than SP3000 (which can't handle UAPP).

So you don't need to argue me Hugo 2 playing better than any Astell&kern as I know it on my personal listenings)

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #22,144 of 22,475
bit-perfectly send it to Toslink output with no jitter
)))))
There is no such term "with no jitter" in audio domain))) jitter exists in fact in every digital part of your setup. That's why any superrior DDCs plays different from different sources (streamers), that's why network audiophile wifi bridges makes sound more coherent, that's why digital cables makes sense.. Just compare Wireworld Platinum toslink cable over stock Hugo 2 toslink cable and your "bit-perfect world" becomes crashing immediately )))

But this is not the Hugo 2 topic, so sorry for offtopic..

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #22,145 of 22,475
There is no such term "with no jitter" in audio domain)))

I agree. I meant "without sagnificant jitter" :)

Can't see jitter measurements (in femtoseconds) here ...

Can't believe this "Wiim mini" box could reach somewere close to normal digital transport.
Not to argue, but just for the sake of argument, here jitter measurements of Mini.

The average jitter level, assessed with a 50Hz–100kHz bandwidth, was a relatively low 729.7 picoseconds, though with typical music recordings it averaged 1.6 nanoseconds.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #22,146 of 22,475
I agree. I meant "without sagnificant jitter" :)
Not to argue, but just for the sake of argument, here jitter measurements of Mini.
The DAC has its own DPLL and eliminates the jitter.
It is of no concern.
When Wiim works, it is totally transparent, but (for me) it sometimes didn't work.
Too fiddly for me.

Aug 25, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #22,147 of 22,475
without sagnificant jitter
Yes, I went via your link and 😬🤯

The average jitter level, assessed with a 50Hz–100kHz bandwidth, was a relatively low 729.7 picoseconds, though with typical music recordings it averaged 1.6 nanoseconds.

Man, it's crazy!! It is in nanoseconds! Not even in picoseconds, not in femtoseconds... It's just really level of hundred dollar box, nothing more..

Best measurement of 729.7 picoseconds is about 30 times higher (when liwer is better) than SP2000 worst case..

Aug 25, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #22,148 of 22,475
The DAC has its own DPLL and eliminates the jitter.

If it is absolutely so — just connect Hugo 2 to PC or Wiim mini and just compare it to an ordinary DDC like Singxer SU-6. You will hear how good this own DPLL inside of Hugo 2 eliminates jitter at all )))

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #22,149 of 22,475
If it is absolutely so — just connect Hugo 2 to PC or Wiim mini and just compare it to an ordinary DDC like Singxer SU-6. You will hear how good this own DPLL inside of Hugo 2 eliminates jitter at all )))
I have done!
I can not hear any difference. So have others.
I bet you, in a blind test, neither can you.
Also, it has been meticulously measured and tested by ASR (ardent dislikers of Chord DACs). They used state-of-the-art measuring equipments (Audio Precision 555 circa £30k) and found the DPLL to do a perfect job with Toslink input of any kind.
So did USB for that matter. It is just that in some special circumstances, USB maybe prone to ground loop noise, that's all. MAY BE!
Below is the result from ASR. On that day, they had a ground-loop issue, which on a later, they didn't! go figure.
At any rate, even USB artefacts are at -120dB max, including the noise.
On Toslink, it remains stuck at -150dB.

1692982840752.png

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #22,150 of 22,475
Aug 26, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #22,151 of 22,475
Anyone using Hugo 2 with nowadays TOTL IEMs like Mentor, Jewel, Odyssey, XE6?
Just catching up with this thread. I have been using my Hugo 2 with Mentor, Xe6, and EXT this week. My chain is Mac>Silver Dragon USB>H2>PWA/EE 4.4-3.5mm adapter. Using stock cables on all 3. Playing a range of music - classical, jazz, jazz vocal, rock - I hear great depth of detail, not a very wide stage, nice slam and mid bass, not so much sub bass, reference/dry mids, slightly dry treble. This is generally across all 3 IEMs.
I’ve been A/Bing with RS8 & Tsuranagi, and hear a number of improvements through all IEMs: wider stage, even more detail, more sub bass, slightly warmer mids, slightly warmer treble.
My conclusion is the H2 is still a fantastic DAC AMP. Perhaps surpassed in SQ areas important to me by the RS8/Ts when listening to my TOTL IEMs. But still the Hugo 2 is very convenient at my desktop when I quickly want to listen to some great music in between meetings.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #22,152 of 22,475
I’ve been A/Bing with RS8 & Tsuranagi

Wow!!!
I wondering you'are not trying RS8 >> Hugo 2 >> Tsuranagi... I suppose this whould be way beter setup than RS8 >> Tsuranagi

I used to use RS8 with Hugo 2, but have switched to SP2000 with Hugo 2 as SP2000 as a transport plays better than RS8

Now I'm thinking to add Tsuranagi over the Hugo 2 to get "best of the best" setup

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #22,153 of 22,475
Do you notice a difference between different DAPs as a transport? I often wonder if all you would hear is the DAC of the Hugo regardless which DAP you use.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #22,154 of 22,475
Wow!!!
I wondering you'are not trying RS8 >> Hugo 2 >> Tsuranagi... I suppose this whould be way beter setup than RS8 >> Tsuranagi

I used to use RS8 with Hugo 2, but have switched to SP2000 with Hugo 2 as SP2000 as a transport plays better than RS8

Now I'm thinking to add Tsuranagi over the Hugo 2 to get "best of the best" setup
I haven’t yet tried Hugo 2 as a Dac sourced to a separate amp such as Tsuranagi. I’ll need to get a different cable to give that a go (I’m guessing 3.5-3.5mm shielded?).
That cable would help me try my SP2000>Hugo 2 as well. Though I had heard SP2000 didn’t source as well as a transport since it doesn’t have a dedicated line out. But I’d like to hear for myself.
Then there’s using RS8 as a source into Hugo 2 - I will give that a try as well. The RS8 comes with a usbc-coax cable so I’ve got what I need.
Then onto the ultimate chain you suggest - thanks for that!

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #22,155 of 22,475
Do you notice a difference between different DAPs as a transport?
Yes, and the difference is clearly heard a lot. Just using Hiby RS6 vs SP2000 as a transport to Hugo 2 brings clearly different sound.
And the cables are make sence too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back