Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 23, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #21,978 of 22,475
Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong but I think Hugo 2 + 2go (using Wi-Fi hotspot) ( listening to songs in DSD format) setup would sound better than Hugo 2 + best DAP (using toslink) setup
I think bringing DSD format into the equation is making things unnecessarily complicated. I'm sure I remember reading here that Hugo 2 converts DSD to PCM prior to D/A conversion.

Your question seems to boil down to: Is 2go or optical input preferable with the Hugo 2?

Mar 23, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #21,979 of 22,475
I think bringing DSD format into the equation is making things unnecessarily complicated. I'm sure I remember reading here that Hugo 2 converts DSD to PCM prior to D/A conversion.

Your question seems to boil down to: Is 2go or optical input preferable with the Hugo 2?
Yeah,that’s what I want to ask but I don’t think Hugo 2 converts DSD to PCM prior to D/A conversion,I’ve heard that DSD format sounds best on Hugo 2 and Hugo 2 really shines when it comes to higher resolution recordings especially DSD format

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #21,980 of 22,475
Yeah,that’s what I want to ask but I don’t think Hugo 2 converts DSD to PCM prior to D/A conversion,I’ve heard that DSD format sounds best on Hugo 2 and Hugo 2 really shines when it comes to higher resolution recordings especially DSD format
I've got a very little bit of a grasp on the principals employed by the Hugo 2 and can't see how the process could work on DSD. It's entirely possible that DSD through Hugo 2 sounds preferable to DSD through other DACs though.

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #21,982 of 22,475
I've got a very little bit of a grasp on the principals employed by the Hugo 2 and can't see how the process could work on DSD. It's entirely possible that DSD through Hugo 2 sounds preferable to DSD through other DACs though.
When I say DSD format sounds best on Hugo 2 it’s because it’s the best format.I’m not saying that DSD format sounds best only on Hugo 2 lol

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #21,983 of 22,475
So after spending a bit more time with the Hugo 2, I definitely have to say I’m smitten with it. It’s an awesome piece of gear. I’m very much enjoying playing with the filter and Crossfeed sections. My observation with the Crossfeed options are that I lose the imaging a bit, and I suppose that’s by design. Without any x feed on, I feel like I can point to where these instruments are pretty accurately, however with X feed I notice I lose some of that crystal sharp imaging. Still great sounding and relaxing however. The sound gets more warmth in the mids to me the more the X feed is bumped up, which is also nice. Overall very satisfied, I can’t see wanting for much more right now!
Yes, crossfeed has a boost <1KHz. The amount of boost depends on the settings. See below:
Setting 1 is about 1 dB boost from DC to 1 kHz; 2 is 1.5 dB, 3 is about 1.9 dB. The LF change is a requirement in order to give the correct time delays for each ear.

I am confident that the change you are hearing is down to the EQ and not a reduction in transparency because the depth perception improves; with DSP if there is a problem in transparency you hear it with depth getting worse as DSP's problem is small signal non-linearity. But with cross-feed on, depth gets much better.

Rob

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #21,984 of 22,475
When I say DSD format sounds best on Hugo 2 it’s because it’s the best format.I’m not saying that DSD format sounds best only on Hugo 2 lol
DSD got converted to PCM. See below:
The DSD filter in Hugo 2 is the best I have - it betters Dave's DSD+ mode even. The path post filter is then identical to PCM or DSD...

This filter is way more advanced and capable of any DSD to PCM conversion utility or the D2P, as it runs at 705.6 kHz, and is > 220dB filtering with advanced noise shaping.

Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong but I think Hugo 2 + 2go (using Wi-Fi hotspot) ( listening to songs in DSD format) setup sounds better than Hugo 2 + best DAP (using toslink) setup
In my setup, 2Go airplane mode is the best. Wifi hotspot add too much noise, and I can hear those noise with high sensitivity IEMs. I don't have a DAP with toslink to test, but 2Go+2Yu's optical to H2 is better than Hugo2+2Go alone.

Mar 23, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #21,985 of 22,475
I think you mean DSD is your preferred format? The word "best" is used all over the internet by people that confuse it with "my preference":wink:. The Hugo 2's designer prefers PCM and cites technical reasoning and some listening experiences that have shaped his preference. I have not really been able to evaluate much music for comparison, but on the listening tests I have done, I have developed a slight preference for PCM myself. If you are listening to DSD through Hugo 2, you are listening to PCM. I would imagine that a dedicated DSD DAC could eliminate the DSD/PCM conversion stage, potentially giving you more from your DSD files.

I lived with a bitstream DAC for years and liked it, but for me, the Hugo 2 gives all the laid back and natural feeling sound I used to have, but adds more bite, more detail, more drive to the music when the music calls for it, so PCM is my preferred medium. Is it best? It is, but only to me.

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #21,986 of 22,475
Yes, crossfeed has a boost <1KHz. The amount of boost depends on the settings. See below:
You’re the man, thank you for this!

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #21,987 of 22,475
Question for those more knowledgeable than me, hopefully this is the right place. With simply an iPad as a source, can I get higher sample rates than 192? Or would that exclusively happen just with an Mscaler to get it to the 700s? Just want to ensure I am not leaving anything on the table with some source software or something like that. Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #21,988 of 22,475
I think you mean DSD is your preferred format? The word "best" is used all over the internet by people that confuse it with "my preference":wink:. The Hugo 2's designer prefers PCM and cites technical reasoning and some listening experiences that have shaped his preference. I have not really been able to evaluate much music for comparison, but on the listening tests I have done, I have developed a slight preference for PCM myself. If you are listening to DSD through Hugo 2, you are listening to PCM. I would imagine that a dedicated DSD DAC could eliminate the DSD/PCM conversion stage, potentially giving you more from your DSD files.

I lived with a bitstream DAC for years and liked it, but for me, the Hugo 2 gives all the laid back and natural feeling sound I used to have, but adds more bite, more detail, more drive to the music when the music calls for it, so PCM is my preferred medium. Is it best? It is, but only to me.
I don’t know what my preferred format is 😂

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #21,990 of 22,475
If we connect 2Go+2Yu optical to Hugo 2 then it will pop up automatically on Roon on computer,right? Also,when this streaming system is connected to Roon,i don’t think Hugo 2 + DAP (using optical) will sound better that this streaming system cause potato software on DAP can’t compete against desktop software like Roon
Yes, 2Go2Yu will pop up on Roon. I don't know if there is any DAP will beat 2Go2yu. Maybe yes, maybe no. There is no way to compare every DAP in the market. All I know is my HP system sounds very good to me. Probably, I should connect my old CD player as the source for comparison.

My current HP system:
2Go2Yu (powered by a powerbank regulated to 5v) -> Supra Excalibur USB -> Mscaler (powered by unregulated direct-to-battery powerbank) -> Moon Audio Black dragon DBNC -> Hugo2 (powered by internal battery) -> DCA Stealth.

Note: The Supra Excalibur USB matches the SQ of optical. At least, it is close enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back