Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 9, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #21,811 of 22,475
Thanks for the feedback - I'm going to try and do the same over a weekend or two.
The DAC2 and the Hugo 2 are in direct competition as the DAC/Amp in my minimalist lounge setup, connected to the Wiim Mini. In theory I don't need both and one would be moved on. Also my beloved Mojo2 should be safe from the chop but who knows... it'll be interesting to see where each unit's strengths are.
Congrats to your incoming Hugo 2 and looking forward to your impressions compared to the DAC2 and also how the U12T performs with the H2 compared to the Mojo2.
Make sure to give yourself time to get used to the new sound, it seems the brain needs some time to get used to it.

Personally I don't get how some people sold their Hugo 2 after getting the Mojo 2 - for me the H2 is quite a big step up from the Mojo.
If you like the H2 keep an eye out for a (used) 2Go - it takes SQ up another notch and Hugo2Go is more convenient as a (trans)portable device. I even took it on the plane when travelling.

Feb 9, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #21,813 of 22,475
Congrats to your incoming Hugo 2 and looking forward to your impressions compared to the DAC2 and also how the U12T performs with the H2 compared to the Mojo2.
Make sure to give yourself time to get used to the new sound, it seems the brain needs some time to get used to it.

Personally I don't get how some people sold their Hugo 2 after getting the Mojo 2 - for me the H2 is quite a big step up from the Mojo.
If you like the H2 keep an eye out for a (used) 2Go - it takes SQ up another notch and Hugo2Go is more convenient as a (trans)portable device. I even took it on the plane when travelling.
Thanks! I'm also very curious about how the U12t will play with the Chord devices; as well as the LCD-XC. It's going to be a fun period of experimentation.

Noted on the 2Go, I can see it fitting in with my listening habits down the line.

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #21,814 of 22,475
The Hugo2 is a big leap from Mojo2! Not that the Mojo2 is bad per se, in my opinion the Mojo2 just feels intimate and compared to the sound of the Hugo2. It’s a more mature sound and not overly analytical like I was expecting it to be after reading impressions online. You’re in for a treat my frie

i miss my Mojo2poly for portability compared to my transportable Hugo2go. Regret selling the former so if you’ve got the headroom to have another device lying around for easier portability I’d consider that.
The view that H2 is better than Mojo2 seems quite consistent so I'm really intrigued to see how they compare.
If H2 can deliver on the promise of a wider, more expansive sound I'm going to be really happy.

One thing the Mojo2 definitely has on it is the DSP EQ - works really well to my ears, great implementation and I feel I'll always need it.

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #21,815 of 22,475
Note that H2 also puts out a bit more power so can drive many headphones a bit better.

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #21,816 of 22,475
The view that H2 is better than Mojo2 seems quite consistent so I'm really intrigued to see how they compare.
If H2 can deliver on the promise of a wider, more expansive sound I'm going to be really happy.

One thing the Mojo2 definitely has on it is the DSP EQ - works really well to my ears, great implementation and I feel I'll always need it.
Forgot about the DSP on the Mojo2 - definitely miss that now it’s gone. Hugo2 has 4 filters to change the sound which are good - I tend to like the green filter. Hopefully Hugo3 has the DSP feature from the Mojo2!

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #21,817 of 22,475
Forgot about the DSP on the Mojo2 - definitely miss that now it’s gone. Hugo2 has 4 filters to change the sound which are good - I tend to like the green filter. Hopefully Hugo3 has the DSP feature from the Mojo2!
Can't see how they don't include this in Hugo 3 - it's so good and a great differentiator in a crowded market...

Feb 9, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #21,818 of 22,475
Might be the wrong thread but does anyone know is 2Go can utilise UHS II microSDs or limited to UHS I speeds?
I'm not sure I can think of any situation where the 2go would need anything like a read speed of that magnitude. I just pushed a 384KHz 64 bit .wav test file through M connect and it was showing just under 50Mb / s. A352.8KHz 24 bit .flac file was showing just under 12Mb/s. Card back compatibility I couldn't say, but Chord customer services should be able to

Feb 10, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #21,819 of 22,475
Might be the wrong thread but does anyone know is 2Go can utilise UHS II microSDs or limited to UHS I speeds?

2Go uses NXP i.MX7 processor (MCIMX7D3EVK10SD). Based on the datasheet, the max speed is UHS-1 (104MB/s).

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/IMX7DCEC.pdf
All the ports support:
• 1-bit or 4-bit transfer mode specifications for SD and
SDIO cards up to UHS-I SDR104 mode (104 MB/s
max)

• 1-bit, 4-bit, or 8-bit transfer mode specifications for
MMC cards up to 200 MHz in both SDR and DDR
modes, including HS200 and HS400.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #21,820 of 22,475
2Go uses NXP i.MX7 processor (MCIMX7D3EVK10SD). Based on the datasheet, the max speed is UHS-1 (104MB/s).

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/IMX7DCEC.pdf
Obviously , they wouldn't push it that fast.
Battery usage would be too high, and most microSD cards would melt!
Unless it is typo, and it really is 108Mb/s. which is about 13MB/s.
I have a fast MicroSD card, if you try to write to it at 80MB/s (which it can do) it gets pretty hot. Reading at 120MB/s has same effect.

Feb 10, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #21,821 of 22,475
That is the bus speed, and it is 104 Megabytes per second, which matches the UHS-1 standard.
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/s...peed-default-speed-high-speed-uhs-sd-express/

In NAND flash, write operation requires reading the whole block and write back the whole block. It is more complex and generates much more heat than simple read operations. All my cards for Poly and 2Go can read at 170MB/s for over an hour, and they are cool to touch. Write is another story. A few cards were burnt out after writing at >130MB/s for 10 minutes. That was using SanDisk Extreme card reader.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #21,822 of 22,475
In my experience, the batteries that Chord use, tend to be among the best available, for charge capacity and reliability.
I have not heard anybody having reported any battery that betters it.
Hugo2 has more power output and does a lot more processing, hence the shorter battery life. Bear in mind that Hugo2 batteries hold almost twice the charge capacity of Mojo2!
But, bringing us to practicality, I never use Hugo2 away from a power outlet for more than 6 hours straight. Even on long flights (London to LA), I don't do it. OK it is an 11-hour flight, but between eating, taking off, landing, using the toilet! :relaxed: , six hours is about enough - If I need more, most planes or trains have a power outlet these days. Longer play is good, but not necessary for me.
I'll wait to hear from you regarding the batteries you got to try.
You may well be correct Kentajalli, I've tested the 2 year old used Chord 18650 cell and it managed 2922mah, which is very good actually. One of the 3500mah rated cells I bought measures 3265mah it is brand new though and capacity may improve over a couple of cycles.

The 2922mah cell gave me around 6 1/2 hours use to flashing red so the 3265mah cell may manage 7 1/2 hours by my calculations. 7 1/2 hours is a day in the office so if it does manage a whole day's use in the office without charging then that's good.

I did have the little battery protection circuits from the old batteries and wanted to make a spare set of batteries anyway so I've not lost anything really, even factoring in the cost of the battery spot welder its still cheaper than buying a set of batteries and I have the welder now for other battery projects I may do in the future.

PS I also just noticed the place I got the batteries from now only do a replacement service and won't sell the batteries so I presume Chord told them to stop selling the batteries for DIY install.

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #21,823 of 22,475
Not a lot happening here on the Hugo 2 thread I seem to have the place to myself, its ok I often talk to myself in real life too.

My old Hugo 2 batteries are reconditioned and fitted, it looks like this, of course the top cover is fitted now though.

hugo2 new batts.jpg

Still early days but the battery life life looks good so far, around two hours and the blue power light seems to be stuck on. :)

Feb 14, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #21,824 of 22,475
Not a lot happening here on the Hugo 2 thread I seem to have the place to myself, its ok I often talk to myself in real life too.

My old Hugo 2 batteries are reconditioned and fitted, it looks like this, of course the top cover is fitted now though.

hugo2 new batts.jpg

Still early days but the battery life life looks good so far, around two hours and the blue power light seems to be stuck on. :)
Battery replacement looks like a pretty straightforward job.

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #21,825 of 22,475

hugo2 new batts.jpg

Post reported for Nudity!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back