Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 26, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #21,511 of 22,475
Having looked into this a bit more, I think the Vioelectric 281 is probably better suited to my taste. How do you find this pairing with the H2?
I used to use 281 with H2 for three years -- it's just awesome!
And it's oh so warm and wide...
Great choice

Nov 26, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #21,512 of 22,475
Having looked into this a bit more, I think the Vioelectric 281 is probably better suited to my taste. How do you find this pairing with the H2?
I didn’t own them simultaneously, so can’t comment on the pairing.

Also, I mis-typed as I owned the V280, not V281. Doesn’t affect the pairing as they have the same amp section, but the V281 has full preamp functionality.

Nov 26, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #21,513 of 22,475
I haven't updated the 2go firmware in a very long time but today I tried. It went up to 1.5.0 perfectly ...

But then I'm stuck! It wants to download 1
5.3 but fails immediately
I think 1.5.3 may have been removed from Chords servers since 1.5.7 released.

I tried factory reset, ios and android app versions....no difference.

Any ideas? The screenshot error is all I get.
Screenshot_20221126_134733.jpg

Nov 26, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #21,514 of 22,475
I haven't updated the 2go firmware in a very long time but today I tried. It went up to 1.5.0 perfectly ...

But then I'm stuck! It wants to download 1
5.3 but fails immediately
I think 1.5.3 may have been removed from Chords servers since 1.5.7 released.

I tried factory reset, ios and android app versions....no difference.

Any ideas? The screenshot error is all I get.Screenshot_20221126_134733.jpg
A couple of thoughts before contacting Chord support. Are you using the latest version of GoFigure app? Or are you running Android 10 where you needed to have a specific version of GoFigure that could be downloaded from Chord website directly This was to install 1.5 according to a quick Google search.

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #21,515 of 22,475
A couple of thoughts before contacting Chord support. Are you using the latest version of GoFigure app? Or are you running Android 10 where you needed to have a specific version of GoFigure that could be downloaded from Chord website directly This was to install 1.5 according to a quick Google search.
Check if the update instructions are still on the Chord website FAQ.

Nov 27, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #21,516 of 22,475
Just to chime in, I'm a noob compared to most people here about consumer reproduction gear. But I do have "golden ears" as I'm a recording engineer and producer and have worked in top studios like Ocean Way and Air.

I got the Hugo2 a while back and liked it, but didn't see what all the over-the-top hype was about.

Well today, thanks to a helpful head-fi'er, I've come to learn that Tidal sucks because they've put MQA into everything (even non-"Master" recordings). Hmm...ok. But on watching goldenears video, I'm convinced to try Qobuz.

Damn, what a difference. This Hugo2 is ridiculous. The whole chain is Audirvana to Hugo2 to Noble Viking Ragnars. I can't believe how crazy good it sounds.

Anyway, hope that may help someone.

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #21,517 of 22,475
Well today, thanks to a helpful head-fi'er, I've come to learn that Tidal sucks because they've put MQA into everything (even non-"Master" recordings). Hmm...ok. But on watching goldenears video, I'm convinced to try Qobuz.

Damn, what a difference. This Hugo2 is ridiculous. The whole chain is Audirvana to Hugo2 to Noble Viking Ragnars. I can't believe how crazy good it sounds.
Roon + Qobuz

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #21,518 of 22,475
A HiFi shop in MTL had the Hugo 2 on discount, coming from Mojo + Poly I wasn't expecting that much of an upgrade. Well, after a few hours of listening...

IMG_1804.jpg

I was wrong. What a beauty.

Nov 30, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #21,519 of 22,475
Yes

Check if the update instructions are still on the Chord website FAQ.
Chord no longer host a special android 10 version. And I tried new app installs on ios and android .

BUT all of a sudden the app is telling me 1.50 is the latest. So looks like Chord pulled the latest release

Dec 3, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #21,522 of 22,475
Dec 3, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #21,523 of 22,475
Everyone loves the Hugo2. It's even better as a pure dac with a really good amp
I've seen some pretty interesting combinations. I've been thinking about the GSX mini to have a desktop solution to pre-amp my monitors as well as headphones.

One of the best portable pairings is the Hugo 2/Cayin C9 combo.
Really tempted by this as well! I've heard amazing things, especially from Currawong

What I've been thinking is to first enhance the source of it. (any suggestions?) I'm currently using a Silver Dragon cable to a MacBook with Roon and ripped CDs. It's solid, but I'm sure It can be better. 2Go, Maybe? A bit skeptical since it's a bit dated now. And, because it's mostly a "software-based" device I fear that it won't be supported in Roon at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back