Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 8, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #21,466 of 22,475
I pair mine with Abyss Diana V2 and Meze Liric with great results. You should find them on used marked real reasonable.

I still have Mojo 2 and poly for ultra portable setup.
Really like the look of the Diana V2 - will have a look into them. I’ve kind of ruled the Liric out, purely because I’d prefer to try Stellia or Z1R over them as a closed back.

Back to the Hugo, I’ve always thought the product overviews on this thread about the Hugo2 were a bit OTT but i’m pretty dumbfounded myself right now to the point of being sort of speechless - ‘war on drugs’ has never sounded this good! Absolutely knocked my socks off.

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #21,467 of 22,475
Finally upgraded from my Mojo2poly - this thing is different class! I’m only annoyed I didn’t pull the trigger and upgrade earlier!

Time to find some great pairing headphones - any recommendations? tend to lean warm. Open or closed are fine. Budget £2k.

2C85962C-0B07-415E-BE3B-8797D8E69CF3.jpeg
I'm pairing with Quad ERA-1. I really am not feeling any need to look for anything else!

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #21,468 of 22,475
I ordered the same PWaudio 1960s 4.4mm adapter, it's coming this week to me, hope it will overplay the "ddHiFi 3.5 to 4.4" one..

Have you compared 2go sound quality to some TOTL DAPs?
Does 2go wins the battle?
I don’t use a DAP. I use my iPhone or iPad Pro to my Hugo 2/2 Go or Mojo 2/ Poly combo. I also attached the Cayin C9 when more power needed.

The PWAudio unit is better than the ddHifi. But both are well made.

Nov 8, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #21,469 of 22,475
Really like the look of the Diana V2 - will have a look into them. I’ve kind of ruled the Liric out, purely because I’d prefer to try Stellia or Z1R over them as a closed back.

Back to the Hugo, I’ve always thought the product overviews on this thread about the Hugo2 were a bit OTT but i’m pretty dumbfounded myself right now to the point of being sort of speechless - ‘war on drugs’ has never sounded this good! Absolutely knocked my socks off.
I have the Stellia and the Liric. I use the Stellia more at home and Liric on the go. I was surprised the Liric is really good and great bass extension and depth too.

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #21,470 of 22,475
@flvtch

DCA Stealth pair well with Hugo2. Dan Clark used Hugo2 (along with TT2) when he designed Stealth. They scale pretty well with the component upgrades. In my current system (2Go2Yu+ Mscaler+Hugo2), they are warm, detail, and open like listening with speakers. I don't know what the current price is in Uk, I got mine around £2.5k.

Edit: Never mind. Just checked. They are currently too much over your budget.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #21,471 of 22,475
@flvtch

DCA Stealth pair well with Hugo2. Dan Clark used Hugo2 (along with TT2) when he designed Stealth. They scale pretty well with the component upgrades. In my current system (2Go2Yu+ Mscaler+Hugo2), they are warm, detail, and open like listening with speakers. I don't know what the current price is in Uk, I got mine around £2.5k.
Woah you DCA Stealth for £2.5k, presumably used?

Nov 10, 2022 at 4:59 AM Post #21,473 of 22,475
Just had this email from Fanthorpes here in the UK :

“Chord Electronics prices are set for a noticeable jump on the 1st of December.

With that in mind we wanted to give you the heads up. If you are thinking about purchasing a piece of Chord, now is the time to do so.

The price rise will hit every model of Chord Electronics, except the Mojo2 and Poly.”

Second price rise in a year I believe… this chip shortage crises (I presume this is likely the reason?) is really hitting hard :/ Feel fortunate my order for a Hugo 2 has already gone through - just waiting for a delivery date.

Nov 10, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #21,474 of 22,475
Just had to replace the 2 lithium ion batteries in my Chord Hugo 2, as it would neither charge nor start up. Disappointing after less than 2 years. I wonder if it might have been when I used it for a month as a system DAC at my French house, while getting my Benchmark Media DAC 3L repaired after a lightning strike, which had killed the USB port. During that period it was left connected to the charger the whole time, although the unit was switched off at night. I bought the replacement batteries from AudioSanctuary for £50.00 plus P&P. The first set were lost by Royal Mail but all credit to AudioSanctuary, they replaced FOC and sent them Special Delivery this time. Not difficult to fit but you will need a T6 Torx driver and a spudger set to remove the batteries which are glued down with pads. One came away very easily but I had to use a razor edge plastic plectrum to get the second one started as there was no gap to get my plastic spudger into. A pair of micro pliers helps to remove the tiny connector plugs from their socket on the motherboard. Luckily the self adhesive pads were left behind, so they could be re-used to locate the replacement batteries. The whole job took me around 15 minutes. Make sure you have the shiny black cover for the remote control receiver properly located, as it is loose when the unit cover is removed and is easy to move into a non-seated position. This will prevent the unit cover seating properly, when you come to screw it back down with the 10 T6 Torx socket screws.

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #21,475 of 22,475
Thinking of grabbing a Hugo 2, currently I'm using a Mojo 2 as a desktop DAC that I want to set free and use for mobile applications, the thing is I use the dual line out of the Mojo 2 to feed into two devices (headphone amp and Stereo Amp), can you do this with the Hugo 2?

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #21,476 of 22,475
Thinking of grabbing a Hugo 2, currently I'm using a Mojo 2 as a desktop DAC that I want to set free and use for mobile applications, the thing is I use the dual line out of the Mojo 2 to feed into two devices (headphone amp and Stereo Amp), can you do this with the Hugo 2?
Sure, you even have 3 parallel outputs, 3.5mm, 6.4mm and chinch.

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #21,477 of 22,475
You can but see my post 21474 above, that I suspect I damaged the rechargeable Li-Ion batteries by leaving the Hugo 2 plugged into the charger for a month non-stop, when using it as a system DAC, while my Benchmark Media DAC-3L was away being repaired.

Wilson

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #21,478 of 22,475
Are both those amps powered from your mains supply?
I am just wondering if connecting both amps at the same time might allow mains borne noise to travel from one amp, via the cable to the H2, and then back along the other cable to the other amp.
Maybe something for you to check - does unplugging one of the cables impact the sound you get from the other amp?

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #21,479 of 22,475
You can but see my post 21474 above, that I suspect I damaged the rechargeable Li-Ion batteries by leaving the Hugo 2 plugged into the charger for a month non-stop, when using it as a system DAC, while my Benchmark Media DAC-3L was away being repaired.

Wilson
I was wondering about this, doesn't the Hugo 2 have a desktop mode to project the battery like the Mojo 2?

Are both those amps powered from your mains supply?
I am just wondering if connecting both amps at the same time might allow mains borne noise to travel from one amp, via the cable to the H2, and then back along the other cable to the other amp.
Maybe something for you to check - does unplugging one of the cables impact the sound you get from the other amp?

Yes they are both mains powered but I use them independently, when I reached out to Chord regarding the Mojo 2 they said it should be fine, I've not had any issues thus far that I can tell.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #21,480 of 22,475
Desktop mode on the Hugo 2 is supposed to be automatic when the unit has been plugged into the charger for 24 hours but it just seems a bit of a coincidence that the batteries failed, soon after leaving it connected to the charger for just over a month. I would guess the batteries had previously less than 50 charge cycles, so they just should not have failed after this very modest use and only being two years old. I would have used the Hugo 2 a lot more if the 2Go had worked but it didn't and was returned for a refund. I am just glad that the DIY battery replacement worked, as I understand that Chord fees for battery replacement are very high.

Wilson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back