Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 15, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #19,726 of 22,475
Hey all

4 year MOJO owner here. Anyone here using XDUOO X10T , COAX , HUGO2 , IER Z1R setup?

I previously tried MOJO vs HUGO2 via usb from a cheap chifi dap , but have since upgraded my MOJO setup with pretty fantastic results - moving to pure digital out player and COAX ... I find COAX has noticeably lusher and richer sound with louder more emmersive sub and mid bass.

So really nice time to go back and test the HUGO2 again , as I am in the market for it potential come April .... I am curious how new transport and cable will change how I perceive the HUGO2, as well as 100+ hours more burn in on my Z1Rs ...
3 year Mojo user and 1/2 year Hugo 2 user here.
I have recently compared the SQ of different digital signal sources with the Mojo and Hugo 2 and found pretty stark differences.
By far the worst was my work laptop in a docking station, connected to the power supply and feeding 2x24" monitors. Really shockingly bad.
Best was a battery powered Macbook Pro with Optical Toslink conection.
Very close to this quality were: MBP with USB cable, iPhone/iPad via Meenova USB cable, HiBy R3 DAP with USB or COAX cable. Coax sounds more lush, USB more crisp to me - IMO a matter of preference, I prefer the slightly crisper USB.

BTW - I use the Sony IER-M9 and the difference between Mojo and Hugo 2 is pretty big.
Hugo 2 sounds much more precise and articulate, more defined from top to bottom, and the soundstage is much bigger with more precise imaging. Mojo is more relaxing, Hugo 2 more exciting. I like both

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #19,727 of 22,475
This could work. Pi 4, ropieeeXL, battery, H257BBAE3E-7BFC-444A-B5B6-8D3DBC58460D.jpeg
Just saw your photo...
Did you ever compare the SQ between different digital sources?
I recently did and found big differences. I'm using RPI as a streamer with the Allo Digione (non-Signature) and it works very well. Never tested RPI direct USB-out though.
Would be interesting if you could do some comparisons and post your experiences.

Feb 15, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #19,728 of 22,475
Just saw your photo...
I recently did and found big differences. I'm using RPI as a streamer with the Allo Digione (non-Signature) and it works very well. Never tested RPI direct USB-out though.
Would be interesting if you could do some comparisons and post your experiences.

IME digital source quality matters quite a bit. That's why I'm running a USBridge Sig + DigiOne Sig combo powered by Allo's Shanti LPS.

Differences for me were mostly in the background noise and the sense of PRaT.

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #19,729 of 22,475
I am confused now...
I'm finding a streaming DAP...My local headfi shop is kind enough to loan me an M8 for few days
But the M8 is not my cup of tea to pair with my IEM. Even it acts as a transport to Hugo2, I still find M8 does not suit me.

Until I tried to use my Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra feed Hugo2....hmmm, it's actually good but not great like other DAP
But once I download UAPP and unlock MQA function, I'm confused....it's very good, in fact, great!!
It's comparable to the M8 (as a transport) that I have tested....

Tried 2go with Hugo2 -> smiley face too

I am not sure whether should I spend extra money on the DAP or 2go to enable the streaming service...or just use my handphone with Hugo2

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #19,730 of 22,475
Probably a weird choice I’m trying to make here but I am wandering what would be the best choice between an AK or this Hugo2+2go combo?

I recently acquired the AK SP2000 and it's no match for my iPhone + Hugo 2. Sounds flat and lifeless compared to the bigger soundstage, superior details and greater dynamic range of the Hugo 2 with my Utopias.

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #19,731 of 22,475
Just saw your photo...
I have used all the inputs to the H2.
Allo DigiOne coax from roon with ropieee
SP2000 dap via optical
PI4 usb from roon with ropieee
PI4 usb from roon / hqplayer with Signalyst naa

To be honest I use the different inputs not for a sound quality improvement but as the most pracrical means of connection for the sound flow. One thing, if you are wanting to use usb make sure it is a pi4. The pi3 usb shares the bus with the ethernet and clicks and pops are the result. I have found the biggest sound change is determined by the software running on the PI. A few to try are RopieeeXL , Diet-Pi, Audiolinux. My biggest use case is HQPlayer and of the softwares I find the naa from Signalyst to give the best results. The Allo Digione is an excellent streamer. The UsBridge signature had some limitations for me when used as a HQPlayer end point but with streams below 384k or with the DigiOne Signature board installed it is hard to beat for the price.

Right now my H2 is paired with my SP1000 dap through optical.

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #19,732 of 22,475
This is why we have to demo and live with equipment because measurements are important but hearing more so. Plus the music we listen to, for me mainly indie rock and Americana but not exclusively.
I think the Empire Ear Odins are a great fit with the SP2000 whilst the Utopia work well with the Hugo 2.
I like the fact also the SP2000 has usb c and charges very fast. The Hugo still uses the rather arcane micro usb and seems to take an age to charge. But obviously listening experience must come first.

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #19,733 of 22,475
Hey Gents

Re the famously negative Verge review of the H2 ... given how much nicer COAX is with my mojo vs usb , I wonder if the guy only tried USB? Also did folks here find there was a period of brain burn in with the much higher resolution of the H2 vs Mojo ? I was in a strange position demoing the H2 vs my mojo few months back as I found my brain loving both for their different sound signatures and somehow H2 appeared more digital at same time as somehow being more natural compared to the mojo sounding like being at a club with big speakers few meters away ..the shop guy said Mojo is hifi and H2 is studio. My side jury is out so I am keen to go back and retest the H2 with COAX and also now with fully burned in Z1Rs

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #19,734 of 22,475
I am confused now...
I'm finding a streaming DAP...My local headfi shop is kind enough to loan me an M8 for few days
But the M8 is not my cup of tea to pair with my IEM. Even it acts as a transport to Hugo2, I still find M8 does not suit me.

Until I tried to use my Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra feed Hugo2....hmmm, it's actually good but not great like other DAP
But once I download UAPP and unlock MQA function, I'm confused....it's very good, in fact, great!!
It's comparable to the M8 (as a transport) that I have tested....

Tried 2go with Hugo2 -> smiley face too

I am not sure whether should I spend extra money on the DAP or 2go to enable the streaming service...or just use my handphone with Hugo2

Yeeeeah, Man!
Absolutely the same thing!!!
I was blown away with UAPP but with a Note 10+!
Note 10+ previously connected to Hugo 2 running Tidal did not impressed me much
But with UAPP it's just WOW effect!
I tried H2 with FiiO m11 and with SP2000 earlier, but can't compare it now as I've sold all the DAPs.
But from what I can remember sound from Note 10+ is about at the same level -- it's astonishing!

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #19,735 of 22,475
I recently acquired the AK SP2000 and it's no match for my iPhone + Hugo 2. Sounds flat and lifeless compared to the bigger soundstage, superior details and greater dynamic range of the Hugo 2 with my Utopias.
I think it's more fair to compare SP2000 to, say, ADI-2 pro. They actually sound similar. I feel Hugo 2 vs SP2000 and Hugo 2 vs ADI-2 pro is more of a matter of preference than a matter of technical capabilities. Chord (or Rob Watts) has its own way to portrait midrange.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #19,739 of 22,475
Didn't they just release the 2GO? Why would Hugo 3 be coming?
If I were Chord I would have slapped usb-C on hugo and put it out 3 years ago. It's literally free money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back