Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 25, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #19,681 of 22,475
I’ve used my Hugo2go w/ IBasso IT03, IT04 & IT07, Campfire Audio Vega & Atlas, Andro & Solaris SE (fanboy much?)

None have seemed like bad pairings. In particular, no noisy background from any of them, including Andro.

I will say that Hugo is quite revealing. Just got my IT07 and spent time comparing them w/ my other IBasso IEMs.Very easy to hear the differences, and the ‘07s’ quality is readily apparent.

So, I guess my answer is, the best ones you have/can afford.

I’ve listened to all my cans from H2go: HEKse, Utopia, Auteur, Hedd, Ether 2, RAD-0 ( before I sold them). All good pairings, although w/ Hedd I get the sense that I’m near the edge of ‘need a bit more juice’.

Utopia sounds great from H2go — the whole ‘scales well’ thing suggests one might be disappointed when hearing it from a ‘lesser’ source, but I don’t get that from H2go ==> Utopia pairing and, in particular, the headstage is outstanding. Same is true for H2 ==> HEKse pairing.

I wouldn’t try driving something very demanding (e.g., HE-6, Susvara, 1266) from it, but the cans I’ve listed do quite well.

Note that the 2Go addition doesn’t affect these impressions— just how I get music to the DAC.
I have to agree with you regarding H2go/H2 into the Utopia, but for some reason the HEKse sound magical coming out of this setup.

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #19,682 of 22,475
  • Which IEM would be the best pairing for Hugo 2?

As far as I tried one of the best sound imho is coming from Campfire Audio Solaris paired with Hugo 2.

Jan 26, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #19,684 of 22,475
Is Fiio M11 Pro a good portable source for Hugo 2, what is the best way to connect Fiio M11 Pro with Hugo 2 via lineout, usb, coaxial or simple line out for listening via Tidal.
Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #19,685 of 22,475
Hey guys i have an old Huawei phone but the noise floor is bad especially with sensitive iem's like kz zs10pro ,i have been looking at fiio a1 (external amp)can an external amp fix the bad noise floor or do i need to purchase a dac\amp combo?

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #19,686 of 22,475
Hey guys i have an old Huawei phone but the noise floor is bad especially with sensitive iem's like kz zs10pro ,i have been looking at fiio a1 (external amp)can an external amp fix the bad noise floor or do i need to purchase a dac\amp combo?
Seems unlikely that you can fix it with an amp -- I think that when noise or distortion is introduced upstream of the amp, you just end up amplifying it.

If it were distortion or clipping due to the amp not having enough power/being over-driven, then maybe -- you'd turn output down on the phone, presumably reducing the artifact, and then bring volume up with the amp.

But from your question, I assume the problem isn't output level dependent, or even worse at low volume.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #19,687 of 22,475
Seems unlikely that you can fix it with an amp -- I think that when noise or distortion is introduced upstream of the amp, you just end up amplifying it.

If it were distortion or clipping due to the amp not having enough power/being over-driven, then maybe -- you'd turn output down on the phone, presumably reducing the artifact, and then bring volume up with the amp.

But from your question, I assume the problem isn't output level dependent, or even worse at low volume.

Nah it's not lacking power so ultimately i need to get a combo to get rid of noise floor .
Thank you for your reply!

Feb 2, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #19,690 of 22,475
Hi all,
I need your opinion and experiances. @Rob Watts Yours too.

Regarding crossfeed. I actually steped into frustration period. After listening for 1.5 years without any crossfeed , now i am stepping into first red level. I kind of niwnunderstand that without crossfeed soundstage is so wide (aeon 2 closed) that sound is more around ears and not in the middle, and - it is flat, it lacks deph and bass tonality and impact. Crossfeed green and blue seems uncomfortable becouse it just destroys soundstage to a very narrow point. Red one - takes out a bit of wide soundstage, but just places voices and bass note so perfectly in the middle to take an action. And thats interesting thing, becousr 1.5years ibwas so happy with no crossfeed, but now i understand that it deph is more important , than all that floating sounds just around the head. And sometimes you cannot track the bass slam, seems there are two drums for each channel. And even at crossfedd red level1 you actually understand that there is just one drum and it is so perfectly in a place.
I am growing towards understanding of deph in the music?
Share your experiance. Thanks

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #19,691 of 22,475
Was interested in getting a Hugo 2 but was wondering if anyone resolved the issue of listening via a windows pc and the tidal app, and doing exclusive mode but still being able to control the volume? I read that it greys out the volume bar but that was a year ago

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #19,692 of 22,475
Was interested in getting a Hugo 2 but was wondering if anyone resolved the issue of listening via a windows pc and the tidal app, and doing exclusive mode but still being able to control the volume? I read that it greys out the volume bar but that was a year ago

There's no issue to resolve. Exclusive mode gives volume control to the hardware.

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #19,693 of 22,475

It still does lock out the volume bar. But, I mean, that's the point right? Max out your bits on the software and let the hardware control the volume. That's what one would want.

If you really did want to do this, why not use the Windows volume slider?

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #19,694 of 22,475
I’m searching for speakers under $500, but preferably under $400. I mainly use headphones so they are just to use for the occasional thing here and there.

I thought the Bose companion 20 would be good enough to get the job done, but it was pretty terrible. I’m looking for something relatively neutral. I like the sound signature of my TH900s if that is any help.

I noticed some speakers come with a single RCA jack. I’ve never hooked anything up like that before, so would I hook the left and right of one end of the cable into the Hugo 2 and then the left and right of the other end into the respective speaker inputs?

I’m looking for something subtle and black. So no loud designs like the Mackie cr-x speakers with the green trim. No brown. Speakers that perform well at low volumes would be ideal. A smaller footprint wouldn’t hurt either.

Thanks

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #19,695 of 22,475
I’m searching for speakers under $500, but preferably under $400. I mainly use headphones so they are just to use for the occasional thing here and there.

I thought the Bose companion 20 would be good enough to get the job done, but it was pretty terrible. I’m looking for something relatively neutral. I like the sound signature of my TH900s if that is any help.

I noticed some speakers come with a single RCA jack. I’ve never hooked anything up like that before, so would I hook the left and right of one end of the cable into the Hugo 2 and then the left and right of the other end into the respective speaker inputs?

I’m looking for something subtle and black. So no loud designs like the Mackie cr-x speakers with the green trim. No brown. Speakers that perform well at low volumes would be ideal. A smaller footprint wouldn’t hurt either.

Thanks
Sorry but that is a long way off topic. You're search for speakers has nothing whatsoever to do with the Hugo2.

Try here: https://www.head-fi.org/forums/cables-power-tweaks-speakers-accessories-dbt-free-forum.21/

Or here: https://www.head-fi.org/forums/introductions-help-and-recommendations.7840/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back