Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 11, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #19,621 of 22,475
My rca interconnects do not fit into rca analogue out on hugo2 can anyone recommend rca cables that do fit and sound excellent....

I use Nordost Blue Heaven. No fitment issues and sound excellent.
I’d give a price range if you want broader recommendations.

Jan 12, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #19,623 of 22,475
I am using USB player pro with Samsung android phone and hugo 2 now playing high resolution files off phone but somehow my 24-96 files are showing blue color playback code on hugo which means 176.4 why is it upsampling to that

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #19,624 of 22,475
I am using USB player pro with Samsung android phone and hugo 2 now playing high resolution files off phone but somehow my 24-96 files are showing blue color playback code on hugo which means 176.4 why is it upsampling to that

I use mine with iPhone onkyo player and it does the same thing. I presume the app upsamples.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #19,626 of 22,475
I’ve been using my iPhone (onkyo high res player) and MacBook Pro (audivana) to play my flac files through my Hugo 2. Thinking about getting an AK SP2000 to use as a source. Has anyone noticed whether this would make a discernible difference? Or overkill since it all goes through the Hugo2 anyway?

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #19,627 of 22,475
I’ve been using my iPhone (onkyo high res player) and MacBook Pro (audivana) to play my flac files through my Hugo 2. Thinking about getting an AK SP2000 to use as a source. Has anyone noticed whether this would make a discernible difference? Or overkill since it all goes through the Hugo2 anyway?

You do pay a significant amount of money on SP2000's DAC and amplification stage. Bypassing those SP2000 perks for that femtosecond oscillators (for digital transport) that many cheaper DAPs also have is a waste of money IMHO. You can easily get away with even just the SR25 as a transport or better yet, a Xudoo X10t-II pure digital transport is all needed to deliver noise-free playback to Hugo2

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #19,628 of 22,475
You do pay a significant amount of money on SP2000's DAC and amplification stage. Bypassing those SP2000 perks for that femtosecond oscillators (for digital transport) that many cheaper DAPs also have is a waste of money IMHO. You can easily get away with even just the SR25 as a transport or better yet, a Xudoo X10t-II pure digital transport is all needed to deliver noise-free playback to Hugo2

Thought that might be the case. Since I got the Utopias I haven’t been using my IEMs much which would have been a good pairing for the SP2000.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #19,629 of 22,475
I found out that Mobile phone usb audio player has a difference against pc or even all favorite mac usb output. Pc/Mac as transport for hugo2 (listening with dan clark aeon 2 closed) is harsher in highs and has less bass and sound tends to sound more stereo than centric deep. And just simple smartphone usb out (audio player pro) has smoother highs, centric sound which can be described as deeper and deffinetely slightly better bass. Lowbpower transport is the key role there i think.

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #19,632 of 22,475
If you are fond of the Nordost sound signature, the Heimdall cables are a huge step from the Leif series, and are worth the price with the Hugo2 if you can justify it.
I’ve since moved on the Auditorim 23 and Luna Orange for a different signature.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #19,633 of 22,475
Th
If you are fond of the Nordost sound signature, the Heimdall cables are a huge step from the Leif series, and are worth the price with the Hugo2 if you can justify it.
I’ve since moved on the Auditorim 23 and Luna Orange for a different signature.
Thanks! I'll give them a try, did you try the hiemdal USB on the hugo 2? Or just the rca cables? Am quite curious how much a better USB cable would help with the sound.

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #19,634 of 22,475
Th

Thanks! I'll give them a try, did you try the hiemdal USB on the hugo 2? Or just the rca cables? Am quite curious how much a better USB cable would help with the sound.
The only Nordost model that offers a USB Micro is the Purple Flare - I have used 2 lengths with an Intona isolator in the past. I ended up preferring optical in the main system, still use the Purple Flare when I use an Iphone or laptop as a source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back