Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #13,621 of 22,475
Cheers[/QUOTE]
Is anyone still having issues with their H2 units getting very hot?

I gifted my old Hugo 2 to a relative and recently bought a new one. The new unit gets very! hot on a wooden desk when playing and charging/in desktop mode and quite hot when running on battery.
I thought this was the case due to the unusually hot past few weeks in the UK but the last few days convinced me otherwise. The temperature is now in the low twenties so I don't think that ambient temperature is the culprit.

I would appreciate any input- I contacted my retailer about this already but would prefer to not have to send it back for testing...

Thanks,
Nick
My Hugo2 gets quite hot. I am using it with a case. I only faced termal shotdown if playing and charging with a case. So i would not recommend using case when charging and playing. I also try to avoid charging and playing at the same time.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #13,622 of 22,475
Do you place your H2 inside a case?

Yes, at the start (Van Nuys black case with red stitching);

It is almost as hot to the touch without the case but hasn’t shut down yet.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #13,625 of 22,475
Jul 30, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #13,626 of 22,475
I

I gifted my old Hugo 2 to a relative and recently bought a new one. The new unit gets very! hot on a wooden desk when playing and charging/in desktop mode and quite hot when running on battery.
I thought this was the case due to the unusually hot past few weeks in the UK but the last few days convinced me otherwise. The temperature is now in the low twenties so I don't think that ambient temperature is the culprit.

I would appreciate any input- I contacted my retailer about this already but would prefer to not have to send it back for testing...

Thanks,
Nick
if you charge and listen it at the same time it can be very hot, if you keep it in a case too.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #13,627 of 22,475
I

Thanks,
Nick
if you charge and listen it at the same time it can be very hot, if you keep it in a case too.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #13,628 of 22,475
I

So keeping it on 24/7 in desktop mode doesn’t seem like a great solution to the problem of the batteries only lasting 500 cycles...

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #13,629 of 22,475
So keeping it on 24/7 in desktop mode doesn’t seem like a great solution to the problem of the batteries only lasting 500 cycles...
No, when it is in desktop mode the battery is fully charged and the Hugo will not be very hot. If the battery is fully charged and if you listen in desktop mode it will not be hot. It is hot when the battery is discharge and when you charge and listen at the same time.

Jul 30, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #13,631 of 22,475
No, when it is in desktop mode the battery is fully charged and the Hugo will not be very hot. If the battery is fully charged and if you listen in desktop mode it will not be hot. It is hot when the battery is discharge and when you charge and listen at the same time.

It is really hot for me, even when in desktop mode..is this the case for anyone else?

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #13,632 of 22,475
It is really hot for me, even when in desktop mode..is this the case for anyone else?

I tried running mine 24/7 while in desktop mode for a couple days, but I noticed quite a few heat cycles occurring when just sitting idle. Now I leave it plugged in 24/7 for desktop mode, but turn it on/off when I want to use it.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #13,633 of 22,475
I tried running mine 24/7 while in desktop mode for a couple days, but I noticed quite a few heat cycles occurring when just sitting idle. Now I leave it plugged in 24/7 for desktop mode, but turn it on/off when I want to use it.

Right..should hopefully be okay. I even started thinking about a platform of sorts that may help H2 with cooling faster.

Jul 30, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #13,635 of 22,475
I've tried leaving it on 24/7, and sometimes I come back to find it feels very hot. In short; I WILL NOT leave it constantly running. I'll leave it plugged in perminently and turn it on as needed. I don't give a pair of kidney's dingos if that shortens the battery life. When they die, they will be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back