Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 11, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #12,766 of 22,475
Ace.

(Aren't you a Grado thread dude. Maybe the RS1e.)

Agreed. The Hugo 2 is something else. It does calm down as you get used to it. I didn't find it aggressive, but the amount of detail was more that I could place at first. Took me about a month after the only owning the Mojo. I just took it as neutral, with a natural warmth to the music.

(I still only have the lowly SR225e. I definitely need some better headnophes.)

I wish to pronounce an edict... that headphones are, henceforth, to be known as headnophes... what a wonderful word. Thank you! Current Grado collection: SR60, RS1weird, PS500, GH1. For your info. Like you, I aspire to higher things, but are there higher things? May the Grado be with you!

May 11, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #12,767 of 22,475

@Amictus I guess the missing variable is that the analogue OP stage in both Hugo’s is never bypassed, even through the RCA output (and line-out mode is just a volume shortcut) so you’ll never be able to specifically tell where the improvements actually come from between Hugo1 and Hugo2.

Either way, I’m just being picky about details. Enjoyment is what matters and glad you like Hugo2! :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #12,770 of 22,475
Can you connect iPod Classic to Hugo 2, even with a 3.5 mm connection?

Nope. Apple requires the receiving DAC to have a licensed MFI certified chip to allow the 30 pin iPod Classic to output a digital signal. Before Apple changed to the lighting connector there were many (expensive) products that would allow it, but not Chord for IP reasons.

The 3.5mm input in the Hugo2 is a digital coaxial input and will not accept the 3.5mm analogue output from the iPod Classic.

May 12, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #12,771 of 22,475
Found a nice little storage case for my Hugo 2. There's not much room for much else but the Hugo 2 is well protected

Where did you get the case from ? It looks great and something I would like for my own hugo2 if I dont sell it.

May 12, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #12,772 of 22,475
Ace.

(Aren't you a Grado thread dude. Maybe the RS1e.)

Agreed. The Hugo 2 is something else. It does calm down as you get used to it. I didn't find it aggressive, but the amount of detail was more that I could place at first. Took me about a month after the only owning the Mojo. I just took it as neutral, with a natural warmth to the music.

(I still only have the lowly SR225e. I definitely need some better headnophes.)

I found Hugo 2 to be too sharp/clinical when I first got it, it made a good few of my songs in mp3 format, ( can only find them in mp3 format ) it made a complete mess of them when I first listened to them.

If you feed hugo crap, i.e some dodgy mp3’s, it will let you know about it and let you know fast.

However, some time has now past since getting h2 and I have gotten used to its sound and the way it brings out small details in songs that just were not heard before.

Roger waters pros and cons of hitchhiking in flac format, omg, that whole album is like one big story and it has a HUGE ensemble of instruments and sounds, kinda like the wall of sound that Phil Spectre created.

It has so many different things in it that before mojo/hugo2, I just could not hear them all, even now I am still picking out/hearing new things on the same album and on other albums/songs.

It is astonishing, but you will quickly get used to it and once that happens you will not want to go back to using anything else, plus your bank balance will take a hit every now and then when you get the urge to upgrade.

May 12, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #12,773 of 22,475
May you share with us brand and model? Definitely it does not seem a Pelican case taking into account its dimensions.

Thanks!

Yea, I also would like to know name and dimensions.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 12, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #12,774 of 22,475
I wish to pronounce an edict... that headphones are, henceforth, to be known as headnophes... what a wonderful word. Thank you! Current Grado collection: SR60, RS1weird, PS500, GH1. For your info. Like you, I aspire to higher things, but are there higher things? May the Grado be with you!

Made me laugh, a lot.

RS1wierd made me laugh too. I'd still recommend trying to unset the drivers, then reset them flush with the cups. I bet that's all that Grado did, when they finally 'fixed' the RS1e. (People do manage very successfully to release the drivers in Grados. Either in the plastic or wood types.) I suppose it depends how much you want to risk it. There are some super helpful folk in the Grado Fan Club, will tell you exactly how to do it.

@Amictus I guess the missing variable is that the analogue OP stage in both Hugo’s is never bypassed, even through the RCA output (and line-out mode is just a volume shortcut) so you’ll never be able to specifically tell where the improvements actually come from between Hugo1 and Hugo2.

Either way, I’m just being picky about details. Enjoyment is what matters and glad you like Hugo2! :)

I read it that Amictus was saying he only used the headphone port. Rather than RCA out too. Then, just mentioning the headphone amp as better in the Hugo 2. I think we still think of it vaguely as a headphone amp. Even though it probably works like the Mojo, and comes straight off the DAC. Meaning no amp included. I could be wrong though.

May 12, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #12,775 of 22,475
I read it that Amictus was saying he only used the headphone port. Rather than RCA out too. Then, just mentioning the headphone amp as better in the Hugo 2. I think we still think of it vaguely as a headphone amp. Even though it probably works like the Mojo, and comes straight off the DAC. Meaning no amp included. I could be wrong though.

It doesn’t matter as headphone out and RCA is the same signal path. I was just covering the bases in my previous post. The point still stands... there’s no way to tell the OP stage from the DAC, and as you know this has been covered extensively already.

May 12, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #12,776 of 22,475
It doesn’t matter as headphone out and RCA is the same signal path. I was just covering the bases in my previous post. The point still stands... there’s no way to tell the OP stage from the DAC, and as you know this has been covered extensively already.

Yes I have read about that. I just actually said as much too in the Hugo TT thread. ... However I am referring to Amictus calling the headphone amp as better in the Hugo 2 vs the Hugo. Then pinpointing the fact that the headphone out is often referred to as a headphone amp, even though it strictly isn't. Like the first sentence in this page. https://www.soundstage.uk.com/p/cho...MI9P2pkIeA2wIVKrftCh3Iggr8EAAYAiAAEgI3-fD_BwE

It says, "Welcome Mojo, the world's most advanced portable digital to analogue converter DAC/Headphone amplifier."

I think Amazon list it as a DAC headphone amp.

Meaning it's easy to think that there is a headphone amp.

Just saying that I thought Amictus was referring to the headphone out, rather than the RCA out. (Since I thought Amictus was a headphone user.) Whereas you correctly mention to Amictus that the entire Hugo 2 was upgraded over the Hugo. However I would have guessed Amictus knew that, but was just complimenting use of Hugo 2, through headphone socket. Then calling it better over the 'headphone amp', because it gets called a headphone amp.

Anyway, I might be wrong on all counts here so I am stepping out. I wish I hadn't said anything because I think I have started trouble.

May 12, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #12,777 of 22,475
May 12, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #12,778 of 22,475
For Relic your last post but one says the dac has to have an apple mfi chip to accept the digital signal for a chord dac. But the chord website clearly states compatibility with ios with their dacs. I also tried H2 with an ipad mini no problems with a cck3 cable. I'm aware of the problems mojo users have had with their iphones and oppo ha2 dac owners with their phones. The chord website says ios is okay so did you mean the ipod classic only has analogue 3.5mm out not digital so because of that it wouldn't work? An ios device including a new ipod touch with a lightning connector and a cck3 cable might work even though chord dacs don't have the mfi chip?

Listening to the Wall on roon with mojo/pm1/optical=glorious.

Last edited:
May 12, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #12,779 of 22,475
For Relic your last post but one says the dac has to have an apple mfi chip to accept the digital signal for a chord dac. But the chord website clearly states compatibility with ios with their dacs. I also tried H2 with an ipad mini no problems with a cck3 cable. I'm aware of the problems mojo users have had with their iphones and oppo ha2 dac owners with their phones. The chord website says ios is okay so did you mean the ipod classic only has analogue 3.5mm out not digital so because of that it wouldn't work? An ios device including a new ipod touch with a lightning connector and a cck3 cable might work even though chord dacs don't have the mfi chip?

Listening to the Wall on roon with mojo/pm1/optical=glorious.

I was referring SPECIFICALLY to the iPod Classic with the 30pin connector. I failed to mention that the the 30pin CCK doesn’t work either (they don’t have the MFI chip built in). 30pin doesn’t work for ANY DAC without a licensed MFI chip, not just Chord DACs with 30pin Apple devices. Short story is.... no digital out from 30pin connectors without it.

To be specific, the lightning connector is fine, and we know that the CCK with the MFI chip built in does work (although intermittently in some cases).

May 12, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #12,780 of 22,475
Thanks makes sense now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back