Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 29, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #12,406 of 22,475
Atleast Chord is not like Schiit Audio where they make an account on the other headphone website and continously praise their own products
while bashing Chord products. I have never seen this kind of behavior from a so called professional company. This guy member name "The Alchemist" says Chord Hugo sounds flat and unrefined with no air. As soon as I read that he lost all credibility with me. Then he goes on saying all Schiit products are the best DAC. He says in his profile that he works for Schiit. From my experience, it's actually the opposite of Schiit products sounding complete garbage while Hugo sounded very high class. If I were to read between the lines, Chord never speaks bad about another company because they really don't need to. Their engineering and its excellent sound back up the hype. But we have Schiit Audio here bickering about Chord products by themselves trolling on different headphone forums. I was very close to signing up on that forum to call them out on their BS but I just thought I shouldn't feed the troll. They rate the PS Audio Perfect wave MKll as the better DAC? When I purchased the PS Audio MKll it went back in the box because it sounded very digital and had a digital glare with everything. Barely any sound stage and it was just a total mess. But then they rate this as a special DAC along with their own a DACs just because they are both California based neighbour companies.

Funny thing is a random person puts up a thread title " not much DAC talk around here?" and I'm thinking in my head why would anyone waste their time talking about DACs here when any audiphille who been in the hobby for atleast a year and traded some gears would instantly know it's BS.

This company Schiit is only around because they have so many shills but they should be exposed for their lack of musical taste, bad engineering & the schills. I've been a victim myself buying 2 of their products only to sell it back the same day. They were a mess. Maybe that guy Jason S. should stop working on so many diff. projects and settle down and get his audio down first. Because to me, it really sounds pretty bad. It's really an average "C" company with ton of schills hyping their products here on headfi.
Could not agree more.

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #12,409 of 22,475
I never owned a Hugo, but have a Hugo 2.
For myself, I found myself on a musical journey, starting with the Dragonfly, then the Oppo Ha-2, then the Mojo, then the Hugo2.
Most owners with Chord dacs seem to go through a process of rediscovering their music collections, and finding new enjoyment/energy in the process.
Always feel free to post questions regarding the Hugo. There are so many of us on the Chord threads fining new discoveries/enjoyment using chord dacs, that someone will answer your questions. :slight_smile:
That's exactly the path that I've walked..

Looking back on the journey, getting the Mojo is probably one of the best things I've ever done. I used to listen to 1 new album each week; with Mojo, it's 2 new albums a week; and now with Hugo 2, I listen to 3 new albums every week. It had been a while that I'd gotten used to letting the music playing in the background and not really paying attention to it, but with Mojo/ Hugo 2, man, I still do other things when listening to music, but it's like I'm doing some "background reading" and I find myself staring at the same pages for hours..

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #12,410 of 22,475
I never owned a Hugo, but have a Hugo 2.
For myself, I found myself on a musical journey, starting with the Dragonfly, then the Oppo Ha-2, then the Mojo, then the Hugo2.
Most owners with Chord dacs seem to go through a process of rediscovering their music collections, and finding new enjoyment/energy in the process.
Always feel free to post questions regarding the Hugo. There are so many of us on the Chord threads fining new discoveries/enjoyment using chord dacs, that someone will answer your questions. :slight_smile:

That's exactly the path that I've walked..

Looking back on the journey, getting the Mojo is probably one of the best things I've ever done. I used to listen to 1 new album each week; with Mojo, it's 2 new albums a week; and now with Hugo 2, I listen to 3 new albums every week. It had been a while that I'd gotten used to letting the music playing in the background and not really paying attention to it, but with Mojo/ Hugo 2, man, I still do other things when listening to music, but it's like I'm doing some "background reading" and I find myself staring at the same pages for hours..

One of the good things (or bad, depending on how you look at it) that chord has done is make to music lovers open their pocket more. Substantially more in case of hugo 2. Other brands that have competitive dacs simply couldn't have done this, even if their dacs sound as good.

And some of those magazines are very very biased towards chord gear. Makes me wonder whats going on. Chord does have more money than apple at this point. Not indicating anything mind you :)

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #12,412 of 22,475
I stand by my opinion that a big difference can be heard moving up to the Hugo2: Not the same at all. It's in your court.
But, on another note; I'm interested in a DAVE. Tell me more about your friend, huh?

Well, thanks for that. I'll let you know what happens.

Friend? What friend?

:smile_phones:

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #12,413 of 22,475
Of all reviews on Chord Hugo 2 I've read, put yours right up there at the top. Really don't know what to make of Vlad's Hugo 2 article, though understand and empathize with his dislike for micro USB connectors as I'm no fan of them either.

That is why measurements are important. I know Hugo 2 measures well and that infamous, unproffesional, biased, goofball reviewer should be exploited. What a waste of time. Notice he puts up no measurements just all his biased opinions. Someone should provide the measurements and get his website shut down for a dishonest review just trying to create traffic to his horrible site. These trolls do exist time to time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #12,414 of 22,475
That is why measurements are important. I know Hugo 2 measures well and that infamous, unproffesional, biased reviwer goofball should be exploited. What a waste of time. Notice he puts up no measurements just all his biased opinions. Someone should provide the measurements and get his website shut down for a dishonest review just trying to create traffic to his horrible site. These trolls do exist time to time.

Wow. I would rather unsubscribe from this thread.

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #12,417 of 22,475
That is why measurements are important. I know Hugo 2 measures well and that infamous, unproffesional, biased reviwer should be exploited. What a waste of time. Notice he puts up no measurements just all his biased opinions. Someone should provide the measurements and get his website shut down for a dishonest review just trying to create traffic to his horrible site. These trolls do exist time to time.

Yes, let's hang him!! No, wait, let's publicly flog him with a low oxide, very expensive audio cable that measures really well, and then hang him!

He shouldn't be allowed to live for saying he didn't like the Huge 2. It's a disgrace!!!!

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:08 AM Post #12,418 of 22,475
No one is saying to hang him. I just wanted to say that his review is actually just his personal opinion to create traffic to his site. Measurements say otherwise. Measurements indicate Chord is an excellent DAC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #12,419 of 22,475
No one is saying to hang him. I just wanted to say that his review is actually just his personal opinion to create traffic to his site. Measurements say otherwise. Measurements indicate Chord is an excellent DAC. That's actually a slimeball move. He should be ashamed. Thats what you call......

a Sellout.

He does maintain that hugo 2 is very detailed, most resolving as it should be for the price.

He for some reason is unable to enjoy the sound. Which is completely possible. Since chord dacs tend to have good transients, ppl might find it overly clinical. Though I am unable to understand how it sounds bright to him even with dark hps.

One of the reasons why this review has gained so much traction is because its so well balanced and well written.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #12,420 of 22,475
I find it a bit ironic that the Hugo 2 is being criticized by a few people because they dislike like the sound (at least for some recordings), but there are many people who argue that all of these DACs sound pretty much the same, so they would argue that the real hype is the claim that some of them sound better and therefore justify a higher price tag. Has Chord done any blind testing to show that its DACs at least sound different from competitors? I bought the Mojo and Hugo 2 because they seem to sound different in a good way to my ears, and my specific observations in that regard are consistent with many other people, but I don't rule out the possibility that I'm misperceiving to some extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back