Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 17, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #8,011 of 22,540
Any other comments comparing Hugo 2 to the 2Qute?

It was about 10 months since i had my 2Qute and almost everything in my system has changed. So it was unfair of me to provide direct comparison comments. I will say that I put my exasound e22 for sale within five minutes of listening to the 2Qute. I sold my 2Qute when they announced the Hugo2 (to maximize value) and i'd probably do the same upgrade from 2Qute to Hugo2 today based on sound quality, volume control and futureproof features.

I am still on the fence as to what to buy ...new Hugo2 or a used DAVE. Its only four months to CES where Chord will reveal what the Hugo2-To-Go product is ... and maybe the digital amp.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #8,012 of 22,540
It was about 10 months since i had my 2Qute and almost everything in my system has changed. So it was unfair of me to provide direct comparison comments. I will say that I put my exasound e22 for sale within five minutes of listening to the 2Qute. I sold my 2Qute when they announced the Hugo2 (to maximize value) and i'd probably do the same upgrade from 2Qute to Hugo2 today based on sound quality, volume control and futureproof features.

I am still on the fence as to what to buy ...new Hugo2 or a used DAVE. Its only four months to CES where Chord will reveal what the Hugo2-To-Go product is ... and maybe the digital amp.
I think if I could afford a used DAVE, I'd buy it. But that's just me not intending to use Hugo2 in a portable situation unless the 2Go is really special.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #8,013 of 22,540

I think if I could afford a used DAVE, I'd buy it. But that's just me not intending to use Hugo2 in a portable situation unless the 2Go is really special.

Wouldn't it be something if John announced the 2-Go and Hugo 2 TT? It would a great dilemma for many of us.

Sep 17, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #8,016 of 22,540
Great read! I was most satisfied by your comparison with DSJ. I don't and can never afford the Direct Stream DACs, but am a fan of Paul McGowan's posts. But, nice to feel I ended up with the best choice I could have. Thanks for taking the time.

+1.

Me too enjoyed your comparison to the DSJ.

Also enjoyed your views around H2 direct to your speakers without using an amplifier . Wondered if adding a sub would have helped with the "thin" sound in your opinion ?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #8,017 of 22,540
Does anyone know how long I can keep H2 running as far as hours straight? I'm still burning in the amp section which is producing results slowly, but leaving it running over 10hrs is sketching me out a little.

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #8,018 of 22,540
Does anyone know how long I can keep H2 running as far as hours straight? I'm still burning in the amp section which is producing results slowly, but leaving it running over 10hrs is sketching me out a little.

Pretty sure if you leave the power cord in for over 24 hours, it will kick into desktop mode and bypass the battery... once that override kicks in, you should be good to go.

I wouldn't imagine you should have many concerns... most electronics perform better when they are warm, so having a hot Hugo2 shouldn't be a concern. However if you are concerned, then simply plug it in, wait for the 24 hour mark, THEN start burning your amp in... this would ideally prevent excessive heating since the battary + amp wont be running at the same time....

[Deleted the last paragraph as it was refuted with solid logic by nanaholic a few posts after this]

Cheers

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #8,020 of 22,540
Hello,

I would like to know how Hugo2 works with Sony Z1R.
I have tested this headphone with several DAC/AMPs and I have to say that the bass is so critic depending on the combination.

Any experiences out there?
Thanks all!

Brilliant pairing! Stunning and the Hugo 2 really brings out the best of the Z1R to my ears!

Sep 17, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #8,021 of 22,540
However, think about the crypto mining market, these guys run GPUs 24/7 at very high temperatures... if your new to electronics, being warm/hot seems odd at first; but electricity actually runs better through curcit boards when its properly warm.

Cheers

Er no, electricity runs better through circuits when it is cold, that's a scientific fact. When materials are heated resistance increases, and when cool resistance decreases, that's basic middle school science. You probably get a false sense that things runs better when warm is because some active components such as capacitors in the gadget needs to be first charged from the time of power on to reach maximum performance, which can take anywhere from several seconds to several minutes, but that has nothing to do with running warm. Heat is the biggest enemy of electronic components, that's why the Hugo 2 has a fail safe which force shutdowns the unit when it gets too hot.

Also Using the crypto currency mining is a poor example and counter to point you are making. People who build crypto mining computers spends lots of time and money designing very elaborate cooling solutions, a quick google will show you the lengths people go to to keep their mining computers cool so they can run 24/7 at high speed, and it usually begins with liquid cooling. Actually every computer farm's most fundamental issue to be solved is cooling, a lot of effort is dedicated to designing cooling to keep equipment cool so they DON'T fail.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #8,022 of 22,540
Er no, electricity runs better through circuits when it is cold, that's a scientific fact. When materials are heated resistance increases, and when cool resistance decreases, that's basic middle school science. You probably get a false sense that things runs better when warm is because some active components such as capacitors in the gadget needs to be first charged from the time of power on to reach maximum performance, which can take anywhere from several seconds to several minutes, but that has nothing to do with running warm. Heat is the biggest enemy of electronic components, that's why the Hugo 2 has a fail safe which force shutdowns the unit when it gets too hot.

Also Using the crypto currency mining is a poor example and counter to point you are making. People who build crypto mining computers spends lots of time and money designing very elaborate cooling solutions, a quick google will show you the lengths people go to to keep their mining computers cool so they can run 24/7 at high speed, and it usually begins with liquid cooling. Actually every computer farm's most fundamental issue to be solved is cooling, a lot of effort is dedicated to designing cooling to keep equipment cool so they DON'T fail.

Well said. *stands and applauds* I removed my last paragraph and gave you credit. Thanks nanaholic

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #8,023 of 22,540
Does your Hugo 2 still sound bright?

It has about 80hrs of break-in time for the amp section now and it's definitely a lot more listenable. On the Vega IEMs the upper treble is still sharp and unnatural but they're known to be V-shaped and honestly they might need a little more burn-in themselves. I'll try things out with the LCD-4s tomorrow..

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #8,025 of 22,540

Hugo 2 to WA2 to headphones is bad choice. Hugo 2 to headphone is good choice. From source inboard dac (which automatically come with computer) to WA2 to heapdhone is good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back