Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 10, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #5,566 of 22,475
Listening to my Hugo 2 with the LCDi4 (currently reviewing the latter) and boy am I impressed with this pairing! It is certainly "endgame territory" and not just for a portable setup either!

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #5,567 of 22,475
I'm gonna have to pull from my retirement fund to get me one. I also want some high end cans for home use. Already have my Kaiser 10 for on the go with s8 as source.

Been eyeing Ether Flow for quite a while, but now that Utopia is out I'm intrigued. Any comparison of the two paired with H2? Or, HEKV2?
At home will be windows 10 laptop with FB2K, or is there a better software setup?

Been out of the game for a while, but that bug bit me again...

I'll do some impressions with both the ETHER Flow and Utopia with the Hugo2 in my review, but it may be a little bit before I can post my review.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #5,568 of 22,475
From reading Rob's posts regarding the Mojo he's said that in order to have the same Voltage and Current output as the Hugo1, basically the same power output as Hugo1, a small sacrifice of rolloff with very sensitive IEMs was a result. The output impedance was not the issue as Mojo's output impedance is very low at 0.075 Ohms (theoretical ideal is 0.000 Ohms). I don't think the Hugo2 would have the same behaviour with it's output stage and it has an even lower output impedance of 0.025 Ohms. That said, I haven't heard the Andromeda with the Hugo2 so hopefully those that have will chime in.
It's actually the open loop output impedance that governs it; and I have been able to improve on freq response with load - now it is within +/- 0.1 dB with 8 ohms and +/- 0.05 dB no load 20 to 20 kHz.
You have to be careful measuring it though due to the WTA filter latency of 34 mS.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #5,569 of 22,475
It's actually the open loop output impedance that governs it; and I have been able to improve on freq response with load - now it is within +/- 0.1 dB with 8 ohms and +/- 0.05 dB no load 20 to 20 kHz.
You have to be careful measuring it though due to the WTA filter latency of 34 mS.

Thanks for the correction. I was more or less talking about the fact that the lower the impedance then the less it should wreak havoc with sensitive IEMs. A low impedance is a good thing.

I'm sure some would find the Hugo2's implementation a welcome improvement. :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #5,570 of 22,475
Listening to my Hugo 2 with the LCDi4 (currently reviewing the latter) and boy am I impressed with this pairing! It is certainly "endgame territory" and not just for a portable setup either!

Looking forward to read your detailed review.

I have stopped listening to Hugo 2 at home where I don't need the portability but will continue to use it at work (on the desk next to my MacBook).

My 2 Cents summary:

- Hugo 2 is a very good portable device

- I believe that a "best of the best" (TOTL) rating can be justified if you look at the Hugo 2 in its own category (semi-portable, non-autonomous DACs)
  • There are better choices on either end of the spectrum: For sensitive IEMs my nod goes to the WM1Z (Hugo 2 has also excellent sound quality but slightly held back by hiss and noise issues)
  • For full size cans, I have at least two systems <$15k that perform A LOT better (Mark Levinson No. 585 and Metrum Adagio - Liquid Fire, the LF being a weak link in the chain)
- Not thrilled by heat, rattle, volume control haptics and precision - all objectively reproducible

- For what you get, price is at the higher end of acceptable (mid way between ifi micro idsd black and AK SP 1000)

Subjective:
- Best synergies found with HD650, LCD-XC, JH13 Pro V2
- Medium synergies with Utopia, Shure 846, HD800, KSE 1500
- Don't want to use with Z1R

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #5,571 of 22,475

I have stopped listening to Hugo 2 at home where I don't need the portability but will continue to use it at work (on the desk next to my MacBook).

My 2 Cents summary:

- I believe that a "best of the best" (TOTL) rating can be justified if you look at the Hugo 2 in its own category (semi-portable, non-autonomous DACs)
  • There are better choices on either end of the spectrum: For sensitive IEMs my nod goes to the WM1Z (Hugo 2 has also excellent sound quality but slightly held back by hiss and noise issues)
  • For full size cans, I have at least two systems <$15k that perform A LOT better (Mark Levinson No. 585 and Metrum Adagio - Liquid Fire, the LF being a weak link in the chain)
- Not thrilled by heat, rattle, volume control haptics and precision - all objectively reproducible

- For what you get, price is at the higher end of acceptable (mid way between ifi micro idsd black and AK SP 1000)

Subjective:

Mate you don't compare a H2 to a $15000.00 system there's obviously massive differences in quality and sound one would hope.

Mine arrives tomorrow and if it sounds like dirt I will definitely share it here but honestly your post is kind of null, the H2 is a smaller device so there's obviously going to be heat, there's a lot going on in a small case, rattle? Are you talking about the marbles you change volume and the various sound signature with? That also makes sense to a degree, they are round and smooth and need to move to some degree, my old mojo did this as well but I don't walk around shaking it like egg maracas.

And as far as the WM1Z that's an extra $1000.00 on top of the hugo 2 and is a portable walkman/dac music player that you would replace over your phone altogether as a fully portable music source, you can't fit the H2 in your pocket so again probably another null recommendation to a degree.

For the 15k you spent for your home you want to hope nothing shakes, rattles or over heats.

Anyway as I said mine will be here to tomorrow and I will leave feed back once fully charged and I can get a listen in.

Edit: hiss and noise issues can you elaborate on what your using for connectors? I'm truly interested now

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #5,572 of 22,475
Mate you don't compare a H2 to a $15000.00 system there's obviously massive differences in quality and sound one would hope.

Mine arrives tomorrow and if it sounds like dirt I will definitely share it here but honestly your post is kind of null, the H2 is a smaller device so there's obviously going there's going to be heat, there's a lot going on in a small case, rattle? Are you talking about the marbles you change volume and the various sound signature with? That also makes sense to a degree, they are round and smooth and need to move to some degree, my old mojo did this as well but I don't walk around shaking it like egg maracas.

And as far as the WM1Z that's an extra $1000.00 on top of the hugo 2 and is a portable walkman/dac music player that you would replace over your phone altogether as a fully portable music source, you can't fit the H2 in your pocket so again probably another null recommendation to a degree.

For the 15k you spent for your home you want to hope nothing shakes, rattles or over heats.

Anyway as I said mine will be here to tomorrow and I will leave feed back once fully charged and I can get a listen in.

Agreed on all accounts.

The rattle comes mostly from the functional marbles (filter, input, ...).
Usability is in places sacrificed to the Flash Gordon movie prop design (the original from the 1930s), e.g. if you dim the carnival lighting (button on the remote), it becomes impossible to distinguish the filter settings (and then you press that button accidentally because they all look the same from the top - oh crap, that was a filter, quick, how many more clicks to get back to neutral ...).

It's great to have professional reviewers like Macedonian Hero contribute, he will perhaps have an opportunity to compare Hugo 2 against the more similar and 60% as expensive (not as portable) Metrum Amethyst (built-in headphone amp, same chip as Adagio, very similar to Hugo 2 / Dave relationship the Chord product family tree ..). This "fair" comparison is not my job ... But if somebody were to (hypothetically speaking) call Hugo 2 "the hot crap", I think it's fair to point out where superior hotness may be found?

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #5,573 of 22,475
Agreed on all accounts.

The rattle comes mostly from the functional marbles (filter, input, ...).
Usability is in places sacrificed to the Flash Gordon movie prop design (the original from the 1930s), e.g. if you dim the carnival lighting (button on the remote), it becomes impossible to distinguish the filter settings (and then you press that button accidentally because they all look the same from the top - oh ****, that was a filter, quick, how many more clicks to get back to neutral ...).

It's great to have professional reviewers like Macedonian Hero contribute, he will perhaps have an opportunity to compare Hugo 2 against the more similar and 60% as expensive (not as portable) Metrum Amethyst (built-in headphone amp, same chip as Adagio, very similar to Hugo 2 / Dave relationship the Chord product family tree ..). This "fair" comparison is not my job ... But if somebody were to (hypothetically speaking) call Hugo 2 "the hot ****", I think it's fair to point out where superior hotness may be found?

Totally agree, I just couldn't understand the comparison vs the much more expensive products is all, and then looking at flaws like the rattle etc thats to be expected on my end anyway due to owning a mojo. As long as it's functional, woks/looks ok and can slip straight in neatly to my desk without a massive foot print I'll be happy. I'll find out soon enough though :)

Can you elaborate on the hissing issue though?

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #5,574 of 22,475

My 2 Cents summary:

Subjective:

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #5,576 of 22,475
I have a 0,5m SPDIF cable that functions perfectly with my Mojo but that stutters with HR (>= 24/96) files on the Hugo2. Anyone else experiencing this? I have a short length SPDIF cable that works fine, was just hoping to add a longer length for some added flexibility with placing of source (Auralic Mini) and H2

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #5,578 of 22,475

My 2 Cents summary:

Subjective:
How does your recommended home rig for 15K compare to the CHORD DAVE directly driving TOTL cans? From what I have read there is a purity and open sound stage that cannot be beat for well under 15K.

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #5,579 of 22,475
How does your recommended home rig for 15K compare to the CHORD DAVE directly driving TOTL cans? From what I have read there is a purity and open sound stage that cannot be beat for well under 15K.

aarg. Nothing here costs 15k. Don't get hung up on that number. I suspect you'll find good challengers within the same price range or below Hugo 2, c.f. one of the initial tests earlier this year where they liked the WA8 (?) better, some people like the Hugo TT better (used should approach similar price range), I suspect the Metrum Amethyst may be a worthy challenger at $1.3k list price (as far as sound is concerned), heck, even my ZX2 ($500 used street price) will be beat the Hugo 2 with some IEMs.
No reason to assume that some anonymous guy on the web (yours truly) has with authority stated that "it takes $15k gear to beat Hugo 2". I have never said that, and believe it not to be true. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough ...

I provided specific examples of gear that I actually have available daily and know really well. That's my available benchmark, or "true north". Referenced to illustrate my answer to the question: Is there a way to play a variety of types of musical recordings better (with same headphones) compared to Hugo 2, and are the remaining improvements minor or significant.

I don't have a stacked equipment test bench in a price class where I only bought the Hugo 2 because of portability, and because it's overall really good, even though I'm not sniffing the unicorn dust ...
There is no such thing as the perfect DAC, even if every new fad of the month (FOTM) is hyped to the heavens.
Now, this is also no reason to be anti-Hugo 2 just because some people are currently in love with it ...

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #5,580 of 22,475

Users who are viewing this thread

Back