Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 9, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #4,156 of 22,537
Hi Rob,

I currently have a Chord QBD76 DAC in the home audio system. Have you compared the Hugo2 to the QBD76 in a loudspeaker-based system? If you have made the comparison, is there an appreciable difference in sound quality between the Hugo2 and QBD76? The QBD76 sounds great in the system and I wonder how the Hugo2 will compare. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Jun 9, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #4,157 of 22,537
That is a good start.
Your impressions are nourishing me :beyersmile:, whilst I wait for news from my dealer as to whether there is a delay with my order - shipping due tomorrow, but the webpage states 3 to 5 days delay. :triportsad:
Makes me start dreaming of what a Hugo 2 connected to a M Scaler would sound like.

If music be the food of love, play on. :)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #4,158 of 22,537
Upon unboxing the Hugo 2 i realised how premium everything looks. Hugo had a nice design and accessories but this time everything is of a much higher quality.
I was amazed as they included Duracell batteries, a small detail but much appreciated.
Been listening to few more rap and latino songs and i am really impressed by instrument separation, details and the very accurate bass reproduction.
The filter settings and subtle and you need a trained ear to hear it, but I prefer the white one.
Again Hugo 2 sounds very good out of the box but give it few days so you get used to it and you will be rewarded with pure sound, that's non fatigue.

Jun 9, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #4,159 of 22,537
I have the XDP-100R and yes, it has a lot going for it. However, for me it is not a practical solution for streaming with Hugo 2. Firstly, to get a true "bit-perfect" digital output when using Tidal/Qobuz, I've had to use the USB Audio Player Pro app (UAPP). While this allows the use of Tidal/Qobuz etc, it's not the native version that runs on Android; you have to access a sort of "truncated" version which I find a real pain to use. It also doesn't allow offline etc, so you can't get to the tracks that are held offline via the Qobuz app, for example, on the device's SD1 card slot. The final nail for me is that when using the Moon Audio Black dragon usb cable I have even the slightest touch to the cables will drop the digital connection requiring restarting everything from scratch.
If not using a DAC it's a good player (with a headphone socket that is very fussy about which headphone jack it's going to hang on to).
Roll on 2Go!
So what player would be better as a Transport with TIDAL streaming and with at least 400 GB SD storage for the HUGO2?

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #4,161 of 22,537
Hi Rob,

I currently have a Chord QBD76 DAC in the home audio system. Have you compared the Hugo2 to the QBD76 in a loudspeaker-based system? If you have made the comparison, is there an appreciable difference in sound quality between the Hugo2 and QBD76? The QBD76 sounds great in the system and I wonder how the Hugo2 will compare. I would appreciate your thoughts.
I prefer qbd76 over dave.

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #4,162 of 22,537
IMG_2059.JPG
I prefer qbd76 over dave.

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #4,163 of 22,537
wow, just listened to damien rice delicate with filter 2 (green), truly wonderful redering. i actually prefer this to when i auditioned dave, likely due to the new speakers and room treatment. or is it?! i'll probably be sticking to the green filter from now on, it's also on desktop mode now. the more you listen to hugo 2 the more you appreciate its talent.​

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #4,165 of 22,537
Chord Electronics members and experts elsewhere; charging and the heat it produces. Is just the nature of charging a battery. right?
How about the official reccomendation in regards to use another than the supplied PSU for charging the little good looking beast?

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #4,166 of 22,537
I wonder if we will say any impact due to the currency fluctuation of today, which may bounce back but is significant.

I hope nothing impacts productivity as it may be "trickle shipping" of a few units at a time.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #4,167 of 22,537
I wonder if we will say any impact due to the currency fluctuation of today, which may bounce back but is significant.

I hope nothing impacts productivity as it may be "trickle shipping" of a few units at a time.
I'm hopeful that the £ will return slowly to the levels of earlier in the week. Theresa May is secure enough to get Brexit negotiations underway, and it will now probably end up being a softer Brexit than she would otherwise have planned, which I think the markets will like. But then my predictions of late have been well off the mark.

I cancelled my first-batch order for a Hugo 2 some weeks ago when I realised there was going to be significant delivery delay. But I still intend to get one when the dust settles, for bedroom use along with my A&K 380 and Focal Utopias (or maybe my softer-sounding HE1000). The Chord DAVE will still reign supreme in my downstairs system.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #4,168 of 22,537
I'm hopeful that the £ will return slowly to the levels of earlier in the week. Theresa May is secure enough to get Brexit negotiations underway, and it will now probably end up being a softer Brexit than she would otherwise have planned, which I think the markets will like. But then my predictions of late have been well off the mark.

I cancelled my first-batch order for a Hugo 2 some weeks ago when I realised there was going to be significant delivery delay. But I still intend to get one when the dust settles, for bedroom use along with my A&K 380 and Focal Utopias (or maybe my softer-sounding HE1000). The Chord DAVE will still reign supreme in my downstairs system.

I think it is going to rebound as these things go and the market reactions tend to swing as a pendulum on emotion. It might be good to check with a dealer specifically to see how many orders he has already so you can learn the wait status but with DAVE, you may not be in any hurry!

It will be great to read your review v DAVE when you land H2.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #4,169 of 22,537
Chord Electronics members and experts elsewhere; charging and the heat it produces. Is just the nature of charging a battery. right?
How about the official reccomendation in regards to use another than the supplied PSU for charging the little good looking beast?

Toears, I'm not the best to answer here but there is much info on battery heating at the Chord Mojo thread (see 3rd post). Hugo2 will be more powerful so perhaps when Rob posts, you'll get a solid answer. Also check original Hugo thread for more.

It seems to be normal and the only caveat being when it gets warm and wrapped in leather.

PS: I am oh fer 2 on battery remarks, so even when researching, check back for Rob's post.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #4,170 of 22,537
wow, just listened to damien rice delicate with filter 2 (green), truly wonderful redering. i actually prefer this to when i auditioned dave, likely due to the new speakers and room treatment. or is it?! i'll probably be sticking to the green filter from now on, it's also on desktop mode now. the more you listen to hugo 2 the more you appreciate its talent.​
Fantastic someone else that listens to damien rice delicate. It just is mind blowing on the hugo 2! I'm having a hard time hearing the difference between the filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back