Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 6, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #646 of 22,475
For a home setup
.....so here is my question again: FOR THE SAME PRICE you'd buy TT or Hugo2 for home setup (no balanced needed)?
Grazie
Mauro

At this time, with what I know, I would go TT.  This is working off of my traditional findings/thinking that higher quality components and output stage have a larger impact on sound than the dac chip.  Chord may be changing that thinking with ever increasing power in the chip combined with ever decreasing complexity in the output.  If you are plugging into a noisy PC, I'd say it is a no brainer.

Unfortunately, I, like about everyone else here, cannot give you detailed, long-or-medium-term experience with having both devices in my home doing comparisons.  There is no way I could make that call in the somewhat noisy room in a short period of time with two pairs of headphones.  I'm working mostly off theory, here.

At each of their MSRPs, I'm getting the hugo2 all day.

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #647 of 22,475
If I've only had/heard the Mojo would I notice a significant improvement seeing as I only currently use Shure 846's but could get some quality headphones in the future?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #648 of 22,475
If I've only had/heard the Mojo would I notice a significant improvement seeing as I only currently use Shure 846's but could get some quality headphones in the future?

I haven't heard the SE846 but from experience with my KSE1500 I can say that the differences between Mojo and Hugo, while not exactly night and day, are very apparent and highly desirable. I'd feel sure that they would be readily discernible on the SE846 too. I'm anticipating that Hugo 2 will bring further sonic benefits on top of the numerous functional enhancements they've made, all of which, to me, amount to pretty much everything I felt could be improved on the original. Incidentally, since getting the KSE1500 I find all my other headphones wholly unsatisfactory. For the first time I don't look at any other headphone and fear I'm missing out.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #650 of 22,475
The comment about the Hugo 2 trailing the TT in dynamics, do we think that gap would be closed if the Hugo 2 was paired with a top quality dedicated headphone amp(GS-X MKii) amp? 

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #651 of 22,475
  The comment about the Hugo 2 trailing the TT in dynamics, do we think that gap would be closed if the Hugo 2 was paired with a top quality dedicated headphone amp(GS-X MKii) amp? 

Most likely. I use the Hugo with the micro Zotl 2 and get a nice increase in openness and slam. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #653 of 22,475
Quite recently I discovered Chord dacs, first with Mojo and then with Qute HD. Loving both units, and especially what Qute does with plain cds.

I wonder how much better Hugo 1 and 2 are in comparison with those. Also I hope to grab a deal on preowned Hugo 1 after the rollout of Hugo 2, to find out myself :).

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #655 of 22,475

Most likely. I use the Hugo with the micro Zotl 2 and get a nice increase in openness and slam. 

This is a set up I'd really like to hear. If/when Urban Hi-Fi has one in their inventory, I'd be very interested to hear the Hugo2 through the MZ2. I reckon that this would be my set-up, based on all I'm reading so far. I'm sure the original Hugo and MZ2 sound amazing together. 

Feb 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #656 of 22,475
my comment about mojo with external amp wasn't in reference to it not having enough power but rather just didn't have the same insightful, fluid and ultra smooth body the Hugo had. the Hugo2 generated more of an amplifier controlling the driver sound than the mojo.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #657 of 22,475

Also I hope to grab a deal on preowned Hugo 1 after the rollout of Hugo 2, to find out myself :).

I mentioned this in the Mojo thread. Can anyone comment on the sound quality of Hugo compared to Mojo? I know the Mojo was designed to be smoother than Hugo.....

I would call it less defined than Hugo.  Having auditioned, but not owned a Mojo, I believe the Mojo is great at uptaking the sound of mid-fi DAPs or smart phones.  Hugo is another level up.  I don't think of Mojo in the same part of my mind as Hugo.  They're both beautiful, but differently purposed.  (These are only my thoughts).

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #658 of 22,475
Hugo vs. Hugo 2 sound differences...

At the CanJam show in NYC on Sunday morning I had the opportunity to listen to both the Hugo and Hugo 2.  Specifically I had my own source equipment including:

1) Hugo
2) Shure KSE-1500
3) A Red Wine modified AK 380 player
4) Optical cable
5) My very own choice of music that I'm very familiar with and
6) Custom Snugs for the KSE-1500 that fit perfectly and isolate background noise very well as the show is no place for serious listening...

Here is my listening impressions/takeaways.  

Being a Chord Hugo owner myself for over 2.5 years in my view the Hugo is amazing portable device but compared to other non-portable equipment it can be "thin sounding and mid-forward.  The Hugo 2.clearly improves in these areas!  The musically of the Hugo 2 is improved in every way over the Hugo. The Hugo 2 is the closest portable device to Dave you could have. Case and construction are excellent as the Hugo 2 is slightly thinner and slightly smaller then Hugo.  Thank you Mr. Franks for building in a plastic shade/window to protect the optical port that replaces that port protector for the original Hugo that was frankly a pain in the As*.  The usability has improved (more intuitive) and weight is about the same.  Overall a solid improvement in engineering for second generation equipment.  

Short and sweet!
Sincerely your friend in audio
-Speed...    

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #659 of 22,475
  Hugo vs. Hugo 2 sound differences...

At the CanJam show in NYC on Sunday morning I had the opportunity to listen to both the Hugo and Hugo 2.  Specifically I had my own source equipment including:

1) Hugo
2) Shure KSE-1500
3) A Red Wine modified AK 380 player
4) Optical cable
5) My very own choice of music that I'm very familiar with and
6) Custom Snugs for the KSE-1500 that fit perfectly and isolate background noise very well as the show is no place for serious listening...

Here is my listening impressions/takeaways.  

Being a Chord Hugo owner myself for over 2.5 years in my view the Hugo is amazing portable device but compared to other non-portable equipment it can be "thin sounding and mid-forward.  The Hugo 2.clearly improves in these areas!  The musically of the Hugo 2 is improved in every way over the Hugo. The Hugo 2 is the closest portable device to Dave you could have. Case and construction are excellent as the Hugo 2 is slightly thinner and slightly smaller then Hugo.  Thank you Mr. Franks for building in a plastic shade/window to protect the optical port that replaces that port protector for the original Hugo that was frankly a pain in the As*.  The usability has improved (more intuitive) and weight is about the same.  Overall a solid improvement in engineering for second generation equipment.  

Short and sweet!
Sincerely your friend in audio
-Speed...    

Thank you for the feedback - you are the first person to mention the optical port, so were clearly paying attention to details.

I imagine that many readers will be interested if you are able to flesh out your comment 'The musically of the Hugo 2 is improved in every way over the Hugo.' 
normal_smile .gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #660 of 22,475
This is a set up I'd really like to hear. If/when Urban Hi-Fi has one in their inventory, I'd be very interested to hear the Hugo2 through the MZ2. I reckon that this would be my set-up, based on all I'm reading so far. I'm sure the original Hugo and MZ2 sound amazing together. 

I used my Hugo with my Microzotl 2 for a long time, and it is indeed a great combination. If I break down and get a Hugo 2, I will definitely post my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back