Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 23, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #421 of 22,546

Sorry if I asked, here.  But, I think I asked on the DAVE thread:  What is this M scalar that people are bringing up?  Would it be of any use for the Hugo2?

The M-scaler is a feature of the new Blu 2 CD transport: a WTA filter based on a further developed upsampling algorithm now achieving 1 million taps for even better signal reconstruction and thus timing (Hugo 26,000; DAVE: 164,000; Hugo²: 49,000). Only the DAVE can make full use of the million taps, since that incorporates two BNC cables in parallel for a signal with a sampling rate of 705.6 kHz. Other DACs (also the Hugo) can only use half of it, 500,000 taps, which is still a lot. The upcoming Davina ADC/DDC will have the same upscaler («M-scaler») built in. However, the pricing of the unit(s) make it absoutely disproportional for anything else than the DAVE, at least when it comes to Chord's DAC line-up.

Thanks.  I guess 49,000 will be enough for me, plus those 10 pulse arrays or whatever they are.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #422 of 22,546
  Thanks.  I guess 49,000 will be enough for me, plus those 10 pulse arrays or whatever they are.

Enough for the moment! 
biggrin.gif

I keep thinking of romaz's comments that the Hugo² is the second best dac that he has heard after the DAVE.
It makes me think that the Hugo² could be a good place to rest for a couple of years, and enjoy music, until the DAVE V2 with 5 million taps is available in two or three years (well we can dream) for $2000.
regular_smile .gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #423 of 22,546

Enough for the moment! 
biggrin.gif

I keep thinking of romaz's comments that the Hugo² is the second best dac that he has heard after the DAVE.
It makes me think that the Hugo² could be a good place to rest for a couple of years, and enjoy music, until the DAVE V2 with 5 million taps is available in two or three years (well we can dream) for $2000.
regular_smile%20.gif

I believe you're on to something there ...

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #424 of 22,546

Enough for the moment! 
biggrin.gif

regular_smile .gif

Well, I rested with the groundbreaking Hugo for almost 3 years.  Time for a new one.  After all the talk on here and the DAVE thread, which I read for enjoyment rather than hope to buy, the H2 sounds exciting enough for me.  My dealer will let men know when one comes in.

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:23 AM Post #425 of 22,546
John or Rob, can you please say if an add-on for Hugo 2 will include a usb input with galvanic isolation? Please, a yes or no? Thanks.

Or do we have to wait for Hugo TT 2? Offical response would be very much appreciated.

Given the reported Hugo 2 sound quality I want to try it in my main system, not try it for portable use as for me it would be a waste given the amount of ambient noise around when I'm on the move. I own a Mojo for portable use and it's superb.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #427 of 22,546
John or Rob, can you please say if an add-on for Hugo 2 will include a usb input with galvanic isolation? Please, a yes or no? Thanks.

Or do we have to wait for Hugo TT 2? Offical response would be very much appreciated.

Given the reported Hugo 2 sound quality I want to try it in my main system, not try it for portable use as for me it would be a waste given the amount of ambient noise around when I'm on the move. I own a Mojo for portable use and it's superb.
It will most likely have several wired inputs as a transportable unit.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #429 of 22,546
Perhaps unnecessary but for the fans, like children waiting for Christmas, can we get updates on the manufacturing progress of Hugo 2 in light of anticipated release date?

Between battery changes and the above answer "it will MOST LIKELY have several wired inputs" it sounds like this has still not been put to bed. Late Feb/March sounds like a stretch- to me. Only Chord will know.

Jan 24, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #431 of 22,546
I have the feeling this thread should be temporary closed until Hugo 2 is available.

Or are there some further people who heard it at CES and can contribute their expressions. This is why i´m looking here.

All that galvanic battery problems, TT2, Qute22, Mojo2, personal add-on feature requests at a moment where even Hugo2, the topic of this thread, is NOT released is kind of ridiculous.

And does anybody honestly think that anybody of Chord is sharing their future product roadmap? 

And finally yes i want my Hugo2 in red please because this is the color in my bedroom in order not destroying the expensive Fengh-Shui orchestration.

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #432 of 22,546
Thanks John but sorry I'm still none the wiser!

In the context of using a Hugo 2 at home in a main system, will the add-on (Poly?) have one usb input for mains power, and another usb input for audio that has galvanic isolation? Thanks.
The 2 go module is some way behind Poly in development. Though it's time to completion will be far shorter than Poly's as much of the original unit was had to break new ground. Please understand I'm trying to give you all enough information to indicate that something will be along soon but some of the details are still in flux. If you have a particular wish, throw it into the mix as we might well be able to accommodate it

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #434 of 22,546
Hi dears
I own Hugo and use it as heart of my main not portable system
I will upgrade to Hugo2 once available hut I'm a little worried by its jack coaxial in....really there was no space for bnc or rca plug?

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #435 of 22,546
John,

WISH LIST POLYXX - HUGO2

1) What I like about the ak 240 et al is that it used both SD card and internal memory. What would be great is to have some initial amount of ssd memory (for example 256 gb) in the add-on to hugo 2 plus an SD card. Use a standard usb port to hook it up to a computer to load, which could also mean dual use. (aurender flow type use) 

2) I do not know poly, assuming some sort of linux running mpd would be great, since it is utterly robust and reliable. Tailor it as little as possible for compatibility purposes.

3) I would bind it nice if one could load up playlists and some functional (as buttons) to use the polyXX w/o remote. What you would need are the following: 

a) start/stop
b) next track of playlist
c) next playlist  (ordered lexicographically in the playlist folder)

this way the module would be defacto usable w/o remote, once needed a set of playlists

If it has this functionality will happily buy H2 plus PolyXX and keep my 2 Hugo (1)

@all - what do you think

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back