Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 7, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #137 of 22,546
^^Thanks- Still learning about Chord products and DACs, for that matter.

Serious question and not trying to stir the pot- I'm honestly curious if the Hugo2 is $1500 better than Mojo. I've heard Mojo a couple of times and thought it was superb. There's a lot of subjectivity to this question, I know, but curious if people are making the leap up from Mojo to Hugo2 based on the specs that we're seeing here. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #139 of 22,546
  @Maxh22;
Thank you so much for this input!
This thread got boring about galvanic blabla and further speculations.
Could you listen to it and what Chord gear do you have?
Best

Given that no-one here will be able to get their hands on a Hugo 2 for at least two months, you will have to learn to live with speculation until then.
Sorry about that.
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #140 of 22,546
  @Maxh22;
Thank you so much for this input!
This thread got boring about galvanic blabla and further speculations.
Could you listen to it and what Chord gear do you have?
Best

Given that no-one here will be able to get their hands on a Hugo 2 for at least two months, you will have to learn to live with speculation until then.
Sorry about that.
frown.gif

Yes, what miketlse said. I just wanted to share these photos since I haven't seen any others posted here apart from the stock photos that Chord posted.

Btw, I will be at Camjam NYC next month and will spend some time listening to the Hugo 2. Many people will get to hear it and you will find more impressions posted at a later time.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #142 of 22,546
I had the assumption that the Hugos in the pics are working units. And i appreciate the informations on the TV pics.

Yes the TV pics are interesting in themselves.

I expect that the Hugo2s were working units, but Chord stated for all the new products, that limited production would start in February, and a ramp-up to larger scale production would occur in March. Tonight, when i finally found a dealer advertising the Hugo2, delivery is quoted for the first week of March.

There are probably only a few production Hugo2s in existance, so apart from canjams and trade shows, it will be difficult for anyone else to hear the Mojo2 until March. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #143 of 22,546
Innovation comes at a cost, so that is what the argument is in our hobby. 

I didnt like Mojo, I do enjoy HUGO with all its quirkiness. I will listen to the HUGO II certainly, but I will remain skeptical on whether doubling the tap will enhance the performance twice as much. 

The silver lining I guess is they kept the price the same. My guess for why Chord made HUGO II is simply because to improve the design, they probably had way more unit returned for reasons such as loose micro microUSB, RCA, glass panel falling off, people incorrectly plugging the wrong charger. CHORD probably saw releasing a new HUGO will reduce their repair work down the line.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Mojo?

To me, the Mojo sounds like a slightly less expansive Hugo, with a small loss in micro detail resolution. Apart from that, the Mojo sounded really good, and coming in at 1/3 the price of a Hugo made the Mojo the better choice.

Anyway, I was always looking to get a Hugo, but the Mojo's presence made the purchase a less viable option. I'm looking to see how Chord has improved on its flagship portable in the last 2+ years since the original Hugo was released. But yes, like you said, I'm glad the price has not been drastically increased. I think it's only a few hundred £ higher.

Some real world photos of Hugo:

I think it looks marvelous!

Edit:

Note: I was not present at this event. These photos were taken from the web and are not my own.

The black version looks absolutely fantastic! It's an edgier take on the original Hugo design, and that sits very well with me. Thanks for sharing!

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #144 of 22,546

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the Mojo?

To me, the Mojo sounds like a slightly less expansive Hugo, with a small loss in micro detail resolution. Apart from that, the Mojo sounded really good, and coming in at 1/3 the price of a Hugo made the Mojo the better choice.

Anyway, I was always looking to get a Hugo, but the Mojo's presence made the purchase a less viable option. I'm looking to see how Chord has improved on its flagship portable in the last 2+ years since the original Hugo was released. But yes, like you said, I'm glad the price has not been drastically increased. I think it's only a few hundred £ higher.

The black version looks absolutely fantastic! It's an edgier take on the original Hugo design, and that sits very well with me. Thanks for sharing!

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to upgrading from Mojo to Hugo. I felt it would be more of a side grade in many respects and was planning on purchasing a preowned unit around the $ 1,200 price range.Change of plans now. I am also leaning towards the black version but I have to see it for myself in person before I make any final conclusions.

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #145 of 22,546
Here, I have no idea of any dealer having Hugo Electronics. But I am prepared to cross the border for a try and buy. I just need to locate a trusted dealer.
-Going from close to no dac-amp to Hugo.  When will it be, not before march? 
blink.gif

Jan 7, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #146 of 22,546
Jan 7, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #150 of 22,546
The more I think about the Hugo 2 and its pending module, the more I think this can be an end game source component for me on my speaker system.

I really like the aesthetic improvements made, they really address the deficiencies of the original Hugo. I also like the idea the module and Hugo 2 have been designed at the same time thereby ensuring a seemless fit. I hope there are two SD card slots and I hope one can connect an external hard drive as well for those who have big music libraries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back