Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 22, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #13,547 of 22,475
Jul 22, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #13,548 of 22,475
True, I’m a few pages catching up. But my answer was old news and you chose to ignore it yesterday!

I must have missed it. Did you quote me? I think I would have been pinged if so. Otherwise I don't read every single post.

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #13,550 of 22,475
Great stuff @Rob Watts

I like the 15Vdc power input. What's the max current consumption?

For critical listening, I can just power it with the same Pilot Pro2 powerbank you have and feed it with a laptop on batteries via USB.

Perfect mains isolation (ground / leakage current loops), no RF worries, no need to mess around with a single ferrite :)

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #13,551 of 22,475
The idea of laptop and mscaler battery powered sounds fantastic. I wonder if the scaler sounds better on battery than mains.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #13,552 of 22,475
Is there a “101” link for more understanding of what a M scaler is and how it works?

Is it file dependent?
Size w H2, travel (sounds like Rob travels w/ it)
Would 2Go bypass it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #13,553 of 22,475
Is there a “101” link for more understanding of what a M scaler is and how it works?

Is it file dependent?
Would 2Go bypass it?

Thanks.
I think the best guess for a 101 on the M Scaler, would be the Blu2 thread and the DAVE, at least for now. And my best guess applying to the 2go: The 2go is a source/streaming aid as is the Poly, at least as I understand it. The M Scaler would just treat the 2go like the Hugo2 would, and m-scale the content to 1M taps. I can't see file type making a difference, as it just uses a lot more taps to get a better, smoother reproduction of the wave. I'm just an amateur who might be completely wrong in his interpretation. I'm open to flaming and being beaten up if I'm wrong; and being corrected.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #13,554 of 22,475

Is it file dependent?
Would 2Go bypass it?

Thanks.

The info regarding H2 is scattered across several threads.
You can get an impression of the relative sizes here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-778#post-14374202

The DIY cable setup for Hugo 2
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...-official-thread.879425/page-89#post-14376430

There has been quite a lot of useful info posted on the Blu2 thread.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #13,555 of 22,475
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #13,557 of 22,475
Thanks, Mike. You're always on top of things and always helpful. You're never condescending to those who do not understand.

If you could, in your free time, author a "Watts- English; English-Watts" dictionary, I would love to understand what Rob says.

:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #13,558 of 22,475
I am going to over-simplify a little bit. It depends on the amp's design itself. Amps that have a SE input and have a Balanced output port can be broken down into these 3 categories:

1. Amps that are Fully Balanced (Differential) in design, which can take in SE input and output a Balanced Output via a Balanced port
2. Some amps can be Balanced in design, but are Fully Balanced only if fed with a Balanced signal. But they can take a SE input and output a Balanced output. Its just that, they are not Fully Balanced, when being fed an SE signal. eg: Cayin HA6
3. Some amps are only SE in design and have a XLR port just for the convenience of plugging in a headphone with an XLR cable. Here the XLR socket is really SE. eg: Some Eddie Current Amps

Short answer, yes you can get a Balanced Output in the future with the Hugo 2 as a DAC, if you are using an amp that falls under category 1 or 2. But what you really need is 1. Prior purchase, do some due diligence to find out if the amp is fully balanced or not.

V281 is "1". It can take SE or balanced input signal, and output both balanced and unbalanced.

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #13,559 of 22,475
Over the past month or two, I've been noticing that when I sometimes try to slightly increase the volume, when I initially begin to move the volume control the volume actually drops significantly, and the color of the volume control changes accordingly. Yesterday, something even odder happened, where the volume dropped greatly without my even touching the volume control. Has anyone else experienced these types of issues with the Hugo 2?

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #13,560 of 22,475
Over the past month or two, I've been noticing that when I sometimes try to slightly increase the volume, when I initially begin to move the volume control the volume actually drops significantly, and the color of the volume control changes accordingly. Yesterday, something even odder happened, where the volume dropped greatly without my even touching the volume control. Has anyone else experienced these types of issues with the Hugo 2?
On rare ocasions, both with my Hugo2 and my Questyle QP1R. For me, it was a small dip, followed by a larger serge in the volume as if trying to make up for the drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back