Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #12,167 of 22,506
If cost was no issue which cans would everyone pick for H2?

I would pick the headphone or iem that I like the sound of the most, in my case that turned out to be the UE reference monitor and that was one of the cheapest.

More money doesn’t always mean better, prices of flagship headphones and iems has become a silly game but that’s for another thread.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #12,168 of 22,506
Hi.

Does Rob Watts still reply to this thread? I need to know which version of Android DOES FULLY WORK with Hugo 2. Just got a Hugo 2, using my Galaxy S5, was using Android 4.4 but upped to 6.1 just for this, STILL get popping noises thru the microusb. I'm willing to get a new phone JUST for the Hugo 2 (and lose my replaceable battery), but can someone PLEASE confirm which Android version WORKS. My chain is Galaxy S5 - Neutron MP - microusb - Hugo 2 - HD800. I tested using Neutron's generic driver and without, bypassing Android option; and thru android with and without generic driver option. Still cracks and pops. Neutron is needed, can't use another music app (for the PEQ). This also happens with my Hugo 1, but only the HD usb, not the SD usb. Please help!

Sure.

I can't give specific advice on which version of Android works or not, as each manufacturer mods the USB audio treatment, and it depends upon the processor used too plus processor overhead.

My Motorola phone works perfectly; and my kids Moto phones (inexpensive) also work fine too.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #12,169 of 22,506
Sure.

I can't give specific advice on which version of Android works or not, as each manufacturer mods the USB audio treatment, and it depends upon the processor used too plus processor overhead.

My Motorola phone works perfectly; and my kids Moto phones (inexpensive) also work fine too.

Uh... thanks, I guess?

I went back to my other Hugo v1 setup, in a Win10 Stream 7 tablet. I remembered I also get pops using the HD usb drive with this setup, even with a properly installed Hugo HD drive. And, if Neutron bypasses android, then it seems to me maybe it's NOT android. The only things in common seem to be: HD usb in Hugo (both v1 and v2), and - a somewhat underpowered processor, maybe? Perhaps not, but that thought made me look at Neutron bars for SW and HW latencies - reduced both to minimum, pops seem to have diminished quite a bit. Can there be a SW/HW latency "ideal setting" for H2?

Apr 19, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #12,170 of 22,506
Neutron/Android users: I solved the issue! I did a bunch of things, but I think it was mostly the PEQ/preamp - I had the preamp at 0, I turned it down a few dB so that all the EQ lines are below 0 and... no crackles and pops! This is using the bypass android option, set to follow the frequency of the file, and generic driver (I went custom on it but this is probably unnecessary), I also reduced the latency values for SW and HW to their minimum values. happy happy :)

Apr 20, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #12,172 of 22,506
If cost was no issue which cans would everyone pick for H2?
Love my Focal Utopias with the H2. But I like the idea of the H2 driving my Stax SR-009s (but how long would the battery last?) :)

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #12,173 of 22,506
I just got the Abyss Phi to try for a couple of weeks and I'm surprised how well the Hugo 2 is doing with them. I thought I wouldn't be able to get adequate volume out of them from the Hugo 2, but they get louder than I need. I'm getting a Shiit Lyr 3 in next week so let's see how much of a difference lots of power makes with them.

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #12,174 of 22,506
I just got the Abyss Phi to try for a couple of weeks and I'm surprised how well the Hugo 2 is doing with them. I thought I wouldn't be able to get adequate volume out of them from the Hugo 2, but they get louder than I need. I'm getting a Shiit Lyr 3 in next week so let's see how much of a difference lots of power makes with them.
Love to hear how you find the comparison.

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #12,175 of 22,506

More power output will make them louder. Quality power and tuning is what you want after you have enough for your listening volume (with a little headroom).

Below is a chart of the power the Abyss Phi will require to reach a certain dB level. The Hugo2 has enough for the 42 Ohm, 88dB SPL/mW Abyss Phi to reach 115dB SPL peaks (which is very loud) but 120dB SPL peaks are too much for the Hugo2 (if regularly listening at 120dB on other setups one should seriously stop).

1335FFD2-72F4-4DE7-A47D-4859A909E3A8.jpeg

The Lyr 3’s extra power won’t be used at 115dB peaks unless turning up the volume. The sound differences will come from implementation and tuning.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #12,176 of 22,506
Does anyone know if there's a way to connect the Hugo 2 to a playstaion 4 using the bluetooth? I tried but it says the device won't work on the ps4 when I try to connect it even though it shows up.

Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction of someone who has maybe done this?

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #12,177 of 22,506
Does anyone know if there's a way to connect the Hugo 2 to a playstaion 4 using the bluetooth? I tried but it says the device won't work on the ps4 when I try to connect it even though it shows up.

Does anyone know or can point me in the right direction of someone who has maybe done this?
Pretty sure ps4 doesn't BT with audio devices. I bought an optical cable and use that instead from ps4 to Hugo2.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #12,180 of 22,506
Hello,

Can someone please tell me if I can use an 4.4mm female (TRRRS) to 3.5mm male (TRRS) cable adaptor to be able to use ALO Ref.8 4.4mm cable with H2?
Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back