Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #11,941 of 22,467
Enjoy. My forecast is that 5 years from now streaming will overtake everything. In just 6 months of roon i discovered all my old favs and built a collection of nearly 1600 artists/albums not taking into account links to other artists etc. That would cost thousands in downloads. For someone who doesn't have a library this is incredible.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #11,942 of 22,467
And Spotify's $26bn IPO today suggests you're very right :)

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #11,943 of 22,467
For Rob, while on the subject. I'm using oppo pm1 32 ohm cans with mojo right now. It's a very sensitive planar magnetic headphone. I auditioned many headphones before settling on it. It claims to be driven by mobile devices but does also scale up with higher end gear. Do you think such cans are wasted as you go up the ladder from hugo2 to dave due to how easily they can be driven? thanks mk.

Not Rob but here’s my 2 cents...

The PM-1, as you say, are rather sensitive and unless listening louder will not really benefit because of the power difference between the Hugo2 and DAVE. The question is rather how is the performance potential of the PM-1. The better the headphone then the better they are able to reveal the quality of the source feeding them. The headphones themselves don’t really scale as nothing fundamentally changes in the headphone. If a headphone has poor performance then it will mask the quality of the upstream gear.

Personally, I can easily hear the improvement from the Hugo2 to the DAVE with all my headphones (see my signature), regardless of sensitivity.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #11,944 of 22,467
And Spotify's $26bn IPO today suggests you're very right :)

Their profit says otherwise though.

Makes their IPO seems like speculative trading.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #11,945 of 22,467
Bring on the streaming revolution, renumerate the artists and let us all live free and liberated.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #11,947 of 22,467
Very interesting how your nighthawks perform better with dave vs h2 even if this does sound like i am stating the obvious/expected outcome. I have listened too to pm1 with dave and dave/blu and there was very clear increase in sharpness and clarity and overall coherence with blu which caught me by surprise. So it is not a question of scaling up but more to do with how well a headphone's potential performance is as linked to the quality of the source. With the trend in easy to drive high end cans becoming more prevalent i feel this point will become more important. Audeze lcd-mx4 proves this.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #11,948 of 22,467
Very interesting how your nighthawks perform better with dave vs h2 even if this does sound like i am stating the obvious/expected outcome. I have listened too to pm1 with dave and dave/blu and there was very clear increase in sharpness and clarity and overall coherence with blu which caught me by surprise. So it is not a question of scaling up but more to do with how well a headphone's potential performance is as linked to the quality of the source. With the trend in easy to drive high end cans becoming more prevalent i feel this point will become more important. Audeze lcd-mx4 proves this.

The Nighthawk has very low distortion and a very rare flat impedance curve for a dynamic headphone. Although they are rather warm in their signature I find they are also capable of allowing the nuances of the source gear to come through rather easily, at least to my ears. YMMV.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #11,949 of 22,467
What does a flat impedence curve translate to in terms of real world listening? thanks mk.

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #11,950 of 22,467
Not that this matters, it's trivial, but just for the sake of saying it...

Spotify didn't really do an IPO.

Well, okay, technically they did in the broadest definition of the term. Since it was the first time shares were offered publicly.

But really, what they did was a DPO

Bloomberg TV and FT reported this correctly. Not sure why so many news outlets weren't more specific

(I'm not in finance or anything, though I am in market research and so private sector finance is one part that I have to look at).
Just bugs me when news outlets aren't accurate

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #11,951 of 22,467
For Rob, while on the subject. I'm using oppo pm1 32 ohm cans with mojo right now. It's a very sensitive planar magnetic headphone. I auditioned many headphones before settling on it. It claims to be driven by mobile devices but does also scale up with higher end gear. Do you think such cans are wasted as you go up the ladder from hugo2 to dave due to how easily they can be driven? thanks mk.

Not Rob but here’s my 2 cents...

The PM-1, as you say, are rather sensitive and unless listening louder will not really benefit because of the power difference between the Hugo2 and DAVE. The question is rather how is the performance potential of the PM-1. The better the headphone then the better they are able to reveal the quality of the source feeding them. The headphones themselves don’t really scale as nothing fundamentally changes in the headphone. If a headphone has poor performance then it will mask the quality of the upstream gear.

Personally, I can easily hear the improvement from the Hugo2 to the DAVE with all my headphones (see my signature), regardless of sensitivity.

I agree with Relic - all headphones are improved moving up the chain, even going right up to a Blu Dave. But - it will become more obvious the strengths and weaknesses of an individual headphone. So HP that you thought was state of the art - when you go up the chain, then your favourite HP may change, as the strengths and weaknesses of an individual HP will be more easily (sometimes brutally) exposed.

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #11,953 of 22,467
do i need a cable adaptor if i want to use H2 with my CIEMs which have 4.4 mm cable termination ?

currently using wm1a , also curious if H2 is a major sonic improvement

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #11,955 of 22,467

Users who are viewing this thread

Back