Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 21, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #11,686 of 22,511
To those who upgraded from a Mojo to the Hugo 2, and have tested with Senn Hd800(s model), would you say the upgrade is worthwhile, without any additional amplification? Does the Hugo 2 boost the low end at all (in a good way)?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #11,687 of 22,511
To those who upgraded from a Mojo to the Hugo 2, and have tested with Senn Hd800(s model), would you say the upgrade is worthwhile, without any additional amplification? Does the Hugo 2 boost the low end at all (in a good way)?
These things are debatable but I found ch1 bass more impactful than ch2, not necessarily as defined tho, tt superior to both, using hd800S,. So I have heard folks with hd800S say not quite with ch2, but at the same time we are splitting hairs. Given that, I amp tt for hd800S and I’m totally satisfied.

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #11,688 of 22,511
These things are debatable but I found ch1 bass more impactful than ch2, not necessarily as defined tho, tt superior to both, using hd800S,. So I have heard folks with hd800S say not quite with ch2, but at the same time we are splitting hairs. Given that, I amp tt for hd800S and I’m totally satisfied.
When I ran a Hugo2 direct to loudspeakers (99dB efficient Voxativ drivers), the sound was glorious with scary good transparency. It was almost too much of a good thing ...and i felt the bass was a bit thin. Still - i believe Rob Watts when he says his headamp design is impervious to driver impedance ...so maybe we're just all acclimatized to amplifier distortion on bass as being normal.
Those who own the Blu2/M-Scaler say the increased taps transform the direct-to-loudspeaker experience. So perhaps Rob's amp design is 100% transparent ...we are hearing the naked bits as they leave the digital domain ...its just the million M-Scaler taps strips the last rough edges off the signal to deliver a more pleasing authenticity. So I would reserve final judgement until we can all add an affordable M-Scaler to our chain.

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #11,689 of 22,511
Hi,
I have question about USB.
Is the length of the cable an issue if 3m?
I was to get an Audience Audio cable made but they do not do 3m as it is not up to their standards due to the length (they will do 2.5m) at most.
So is that just them and their sabke or any 3m cable will have a negative impact on sound.
Cheers

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #11,690 of 22,511
When I ran a Hugo2 direct to loudspeakers (99dB efficient Voxativ drivers), the sound was glorious with scary good transparency. It was almost too much of a good thing ...and i felt the bass was a bit thin. Still - i believe Rob Watts when he says his headamp design is impervious to driver impedance ...so maybe we're just all acclimatized to amplifier distortion on bass as being normal.
Those who own the Blu2/M-Scaler say the increased taps transform the direct-to-loudspeaker experience. So perhaps Rob's amp design is 100% transparent ...we are hearing the naked bits as they leave the digital domain ...its just the million M-Scaler taps strips the last rough edges off the signal to deliver a more pleasing authenticity. So I would reserve final judgement until we can all add an affordable M-Scaler to our chain.

true but i use antipodes audio dsgt, upgrading to ds core, so m scaler is not necessary for me. This concerning hd800S is my experience, however preference is just that, some preferred the detail in ch2 but i prefer the bass impact and mid detail of TT or even ch1, with the use of my gsx mk2. either way we are splitting hairs, their all great products and yes source development matters, Im not married to chord solution but always interested.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #11,691 of 22,511
I'm assuming it's only digital with fibre optic but why not have fibre optic on the analogue side,is it possible in theory?I assume not to drive the speakers,talking bollocks

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #11,692 of 22,511
Please bear in mind that the classic manifestation of RF noise is a sense of detail and spaciousness (for want of any better words). And, again for the want of better words, a reduced RF level is best detected by a more boring or less detailed sound ie as per your optical connection. However, the detail we are talking about here is false detail caused by the RF. Often, after longer listening, the detail in the RF free system will return and perhaps even be greater after the brain has recalibrated and acclimatised to the new sound.

However, nothing in this means that we are not allowed to prefer one presentation to another as at the end of this it is all about our own enjoyment so a heft YMMV applies to the above.

How would anyone know if it's false or not unless they were in the studio making and recording the song,I respect your views and not saying your not right,just baffles me and to my ears it sounds natural,I've been to live concerts and some of them sound crap,are they using fibre optic over USB?
Maybe my 1000 pound speakers sound better because they add distortion that's nice to the ears,my 18 half grand speakers I once owned sounded better in every way,not boring just better

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #11,693 of 22,511
I use a Sysconcept now mainly.

Modern DACs should be jitter immune, and Rob Watts has stated that the Hugo 2 is from memory. That initially made it puzzling that a cheap cable should affect it. The only possible reason I can think of for this is that, like USB, in the process of dealing with the jitter-heavy signal, the electronics of the Hugo 2 itself end up generating enough noise to cause distortion in the output.
My experience is that more complex USB gear makes the sound brighter; this also applies to audiophile USB cables too; the technical explanation is that this increases RF noise, making noise floor modulation worse. And a small amount of noise floor modulation spices the sound up like MSG. So my advice is to keep the source bit perfect and as simple as possible; also your reference benchmark should be optical, and your target would be to get the USB to sound the same as optical - I have managed to do this with Hugo 2 on headphones with a large powerful MSI lap-top, which has USB and optical out. One of the targets with Hugo 2 was to close the SQ difference from these two inputs, and that I have done (even though I was not expecting them to sound identical!).

Wow, lots of questions, I will try my best to answer.

1. Inter sample peaks never have been an issue as the first WTA filter has an embedded 2.75 dB overload margin; this ensures that inter-sample overloads will never happen.

2. Yes, the M scaler has about 630 milli-sec (0.63S) latency with 48k source, but it has a video mode where the latency is the same as Dave - 104 mS - which is normally OK using modern projectors and TV's (but set your source latency to 0)

3. OK the M scaler has the same as an ideal sinc function (which will perfectly recover the original bandwidth limited analogue signal) to 16.6 bits accuracy. So in effect this means that the interpolation under all conditions will not get any worse than 16.6 bits accuracy, and in practice would be better than this. I hope to have some measurements soon confirming the actual transient timing error. Now the volume control is after the WTA1, so volume has not impact on this.

4. Yes, in the case of HD recordings, there may be some small benefit in more filtering. But for regular 44.1, no I think that is unlikely. In fact, with 44.1k, the stopband attenuation is -135 dB, and most of the filtering is better than 150dB - so the WTA filter already effectively removes out of band images and noise.

5. No Hugo 2 certainly does not have issues with demanding impedance swings. Also, other measurements published either use test equipment that is not capable of measuring Hugo 2, or have applied methodology that fails to take into account the large latency of the WTA filters.

As to your final point - I am not sure your sums are right! 1 bit is a 6dB change. And perception measurements have detected a sensitivity of about 1 degree. Also, although 4uS is the limit to interaural delay, the ear/brain is actually much more sensitive to timing errors than just the 4uS - otherwise we could not hear the difference between the 16FS to 256FS WTA filter, as this works well below the 4uS limit. And there is more to timing errors than just the interaural delay, as these errors create more problems than just imaging (which is what interaural delay is used for - left right imagery), such as the perception of timbre, instrument separation and low frequency pitch.

Thank you for the well written answer.

1. So the Hugo 2 has 2.75 dB overload margin. The reason I asked was because Benchmark Media state their DACs have around 3.01 to 3.5dB of headroom. Which do you think is the optimal amount and does Hugo 2's "headroom" increase as you lower the digital volume control?

2. Does the video mode reduce quality at all? If future DACs have this sort of latency, I don't think they could be used in a studio or gaming situations - as they need millisecond latency in the single digits.

3. That sounds good, thank you for clarifying. Would be interesting to see measurements, do you think using an ETC is a good way of testing temporal performance? There's a website called "Advanced Audio Analyser" that tests this way, which was the reason I switched to Chord as I compared standard filter DACs and NOS DACs to the Hugo - Hugo appeared to have almost identical timing measurements to NOS DACs, only without the aliasing and distortion issues.

4. Yes, I think with HD recordings there could be a sound quality benefit to extreme filtering of ultrasonics. Would you consider making such a HD filter in the future?

5. Yeah, I don't really trust their measurements tbh. They differ remarkably in output impedance from what the official specifications state. I know there can be margins of error, but not that large and I trust you and Chord to not falsely advertise. Maybe if Stereophile gets a hold of a Hugo 2 it could shut them up lol.

True Rob, regarding the last point. I thought I was onto something but you can't really calculate something in isolation of other metrics, I knew it was a failed attempt lol. I think if one were to formulate some sort of solid timing spec to aim for, we would need to do some sort of testing regarding human hearings ability to detect low-level transient error. It's possible the psychoacoustics scientific tests have already been done on this perhaps, I am not aware of them though.

I have a few more technical questions I would like to ask, if you are happy to answer them:

6. Regarding noise floor modulation, would LED displays dimming zones be a good comparison to explain its effects on audio (as they dynamically lower the absolute darkest shade it can reproduce)? I have always thought that LED displays look flat, with a lack of depth compared to emissive displays such as Plasma and OLED - even if say, an LED TV and Plasma TV has a similar black level.

Also, please can you confirm my understanding of noise floor modulations effect on the outputted waveform. As noise when outputting sinusoidal wave will be visible as small peaks and valleys on the "curved lines", even at its peaks. If the noise outputted is dynamic (noise floor modulation), I assume it will result in an alteration of the waves peak, aka the leading edge in musical terms? Is this why, perhaps, that noise floor modulation affects depth as it affects the consistency of waveform peak fidelity? Aka non-linear leading edge performance?

7. What do you make of "linear distortion shaping" I hear of some manufactures attempting to implement now? What I mean by "linear distortion" is that each harmonic component (2nd, 3rd, 4th etc) are at the same level at all power levels before clipping, while also being in the same ratio to one another. Do you think having linear distortion characteristics is something that is audible and one of the goals for neutral sound?

8. I'm sure I saw you mentioned somewhere that under a certain power rating, both the Hugo 2 and DAVE have genuinely zero distortion. Is this true and which number on the digital volume control?

9. I was talking to another manufacturer the other day about amplifiers and he mentioned, the wrong type or too much feedback can cause TIM (transient intermodular distortion). Do you measure your DACs for this?

10. What's the very maximum outputted power in VRMS from the Hugo 2s RCA output? The reason I ask is I want to know what gain setting my power amp should be set to.

11. Would you ever consider making a standalone headphone amp? For example, for people that want Pulse Array transparent sound but with their turntable, or more power for inefficient headphones such as HiFiMan Susvara?

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #11,694 of 22,511
How would anyone know if it's false or not unless they were in the studio making and recording the song,I respect your views and not saying your not right,just baffles me and to my ears it sounds natural,I've been to live concerts and some of them sound ****e,are they using fibre optic over USB?
Maybe my 1000 pound speakers sound better because they add distortion that's nice to the ears,my 18 half grand speakers I once owned sounded better in every way,not boring just better

I think you're letting your emotions overtake rational thought there buddy..

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #11,695 of 22,511
I think you're letting your emotions overtake rational thought there buddy..
Not at all,OK the concert example was being slightly sarcastic.Go to a concert and big speakers in front of stage,speakers any good? What cables are they using? What amps they driving the speakers to amplify the instruments it's all bollocks,the crowd bouncing up and down yes ?ppl in Ere don't trust their ears anymore just like at some point humans won't trust humans to do jobs anymore that's were robots will take over the world.Using all these measuring equipment to review gear lol,why ?Use ya ears,it's all bollocks so ppl in Ere think they stand out from the crowd,if we all use our ears we equal yes,but oh no.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #11,696 of 22,511
For those that may not have a TOSlink output on their computer/laptop and wanted to try TOSlink with their Hugo2, I use this USB to TOSlink converter.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIF...gital-interface-MuRata-Audio/32813688802.html

I got the higher priced one because I wanted to be fancy that day. Build quality seems good. I opened mine up to make sure nothing was lose and everything was soldered nicely.

More importantly it works with even DSD64 (via DoP of course) and up to PCM192k/24bit with no drop-outs (as long as your TOSlink cable is up to the task).
Since we're in the discussion of dirty USB, I have had excellent results with Focusrite out of UK and their Rednet 3 which essentially acts as a DDC via network. There was a whole following that may or may not have died out here in Head-fi but for the longest time we were in the front of exploring the Focusrite units as DDC vs their intended uses in live/studio production where latency needed to be at an absolute minimum.

This form of transport over any USB, regardless of how much attachments you put on including iFi to the max and even USB to NIC adapters, still sounded a level above any 'pimped out' USB rigs out there. I believe the ultra low latency of the Rednet units are doing something to the signal (or perhaps not doing to the signal) that makes it sound far beyond and USB transport systems to that day. Naturally the units were also isolated via network but something funny that went against the grain at the time were its use of a stepped transformer vs the audiophile linear units. And its use of non-fancy dancy clocks. This was back around 2016 btw, maybe things have changed since. The Rednets scaled up to the latest at that time Yggy and made a difference for those units as well.

I wonder if the Rednet 3 would do wonders for the Hugo 2. At the time someone did have a Dave and Rednet 3 but two different systems (home and work). I don't know if the two were ever coupled together.

Are you using that as an SRC (sample rate converter)? If so, I would probably advise away from that. I used to use a sample rate converter (Behringer Ultramatch Pro SRC2496) with my old DAC and tried it with a Mojo. Imaging can sometimes being improved, but many of them tend to output added high frequency distortion also because of jitter affecting internal calculations - which results in a slightly brighter sound than neutral.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #11,697 of 22,511

I can't wait until a more affordable standalone M-Scaler is available haha, my bank account probably can though :wink:

With regards to your direct-to-speaker findings. I think it’s not completely a case of lower distortion, but mainly phase linearity. I just recently purchased a Benchmark AHB2 power amp, to use with my Hugo 2 as a preamp into KEF LS50s. What I noticed straight away was it sounds very close to Hugo 2 “raw” (Hugo 2 powering headphones directly), only a lack of bass.

LS50s are not bass heavy by any means, but they always had a decent weight to them in my small/mid-sized room. Having spoken to a Benchmark engineer and also the head engineer of another amp company who also makes fairly accurate amps, they explained why. Basically, it’s all to do with phase. Most amps have noticeable amounts of phase error, especially in the lower frequencies. This generally means bass arrives later than it should and therefore is audibly emphasised compared to upper frequencies. Once you get the timing in better order, temporal resolution is increased and bass timing will be more accurate.

This increase in phase linearity has the benefit of much better imaging, hearing the recordings location reverberant effects much easier and having much better separation etc. Bass definition has actually improved with my LS50s, the speed of drums is crazy with the Benchmark and is more tuneful - being further away from the dreaded “one note bass” you get in less accurate systems.

Like is common knowledge though in hi-fi, the system is only as good as the weakest link. Now my LS50s are shown to be what they are - which is a bass-light but beautifully clear and three-dimensional mini monitors. I’m now looking to upgrade to the KEF R300 or even KEF Reference 1 to restore bass weight - gotta save my pennies though :wink:

PS - If anyone is trying to get as close to Rob Watts future “PowerPulse” power amp as possible, consider the Benchmark AHB2. It’s one of the most transparent power amps on the market (just look at the measurements - it even has no noise floor modulation too!) and I’m not saying it’s the absolute last word in transparency, I’m sure Rob Watts future amps will sound noticeably better (better timing and therefore imaging and depth etc). To me, it's as close as you can get to getting your Chord DACs raw sound into your speakers for the money imo, without wiring your speakers to your DAC. Just make sure you have very well designed cables (shielded RCA cables, low resistance speaker cables etc) to prevent them limiting the systems transparency.

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #11,698 of 22,511
Talking of USB being a noisy connection,I've found its a great connection from my laptop to my Hugo 2,I've bought a vertere double D usb and connected it yesterday and had a quick listen,I found the background dead silent and lovely detail,crystal clear and the bass is amazing,now I know the cable can't improve the sound but it's letting more through.I've always found the fibre optic connection in the past boring and soulless,now I've never heard the connection through the Hugo 2.I feel I've got my hi-fi set up perfect now through my speakers and when I get my Nordost heimdall 2 for my clear pro my headphone set up should be spot on too

As I stated before:

"Yes, they do. I simply use an adapter as I bought the Reference cables before I bought my Apple equipment.

You are also correct on the second paragraph. The coax vs optical debate has been going on since the first consumer DACs were released, decades ago. While in the 21st century, some DACs still have performance issues relating to jitter. If you're lucky enough (or an intelligent buyer) to have a DAC that measures immune to jitter with S/PDIF inputs, optical is superior. Any difference in sound between coax and optical with a jitter immune DAC, means the coax cable is picking up noise which is a consequence of poor cable design."

If you have a MacBook Pro, try using optical with your Hugo 2. You cannot comment on the sound of Hugo 2s optical connection without trying it..

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #11,699 of 22,511
Not at all,OK the concert example was being slightly sarcastic
As I stated before:

"Yes, they do. I simply use an adapter as I bought the Reference cables before I bought my Apple equipment.

You are also correct on the second paragraph. The coax vs optical debate has been going on since the first consumer DACs were released, decades ago. While in the 21st century, some DACs still have performance issues relating to jitter. If you're lucky enough (or an intelligent buyer) to have a DAC that measures immune to jitter with S/PDIF inputs, optical is superior. Any difference in sound between coax and optical with a jitter immune DAC, means the coax cable is picking up noise which is a consequence of poor cable design."

If you have a MacBook Pro, try using optical with your Hugo 2. You cannot comment on the sound of Hugo 2s optical connection without trying it..
As you stated,what about the concert issue I brought up? Any thoughts on that?

Mar 21, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #11,700 of 22,511
Listening to 'another eternity' at the moment. Cool album, thanks for the recommendation.

Epic list of questions to Rob a few posts up. Very nerdy questions, very cool hehe. I love the nitty gritty explanations that Rob gets into with his designs and measurements etc. The more I know/learn about the product, the prouder I feel to own it.

Regarding your calculations, I think you forgot to carry the 1..

:beyersmile:

Hahaha

I just like learning
Not at all,OK the concert example was being slightly sarcastic.Go to a concert and big speakers in front of stage,speakers any good? What cables are they using? What amps they driving the speakers to amplify the instruments it's all bollocks,the crowd bouncing up and down yes ?ppl in Ere don't trust their ears anymore just like at some point humans won't trust humans to do jobs anymore that's were robots will take over the world.Using all these measuring equipment to review gear lol,why ?Use ya ears,it's all bollocks so ppl in Ere think they stand out from the crowd,if we all use our ears we equal yes,but oh no.

Robots won't take over the world lol. Both measurements and listening tests are important, that's what Rob does with his DACs and many other designers do. They both have their place and you cannot blindly follow one or the other. If people only "followed numbers" DAC technology would have barely advanced these last few years. Similarly, if people went the complete opposite extreme - hi-fi wouldn't have come this far and market fragmentation would be even worse than it is now, with designers building all sorts of weird, unnatural sounding equipment..

Also, you peg up "concert sound" as the ultimate goal. Most systems can reproduce concert recordings well, as they're not very taxing on a system. The most difficult music to reproduce as Rob Watts talks about - is un-amplified music, aka acoustic guitar, jazz and classical music etc.

Humans care little about distortion with unnatural processed music, as we have no absolute mental reference of what it's supposed to sound like. Well recorded vocals and un-amplified real music on the other hand, we do. Every form of distortion gets in the way of realism when it comes to these types of music/recordings. The quest for neutral, realistic sound is still ongoing, though in the DAC arena Rob Watts is leading. That's the whole point of his DACs...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back