Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 7, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #9,916 of 22,475
how did h2/blu2 play for you sound infinity? any details here would be great.

Jan 7, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #9,918 of 22,475
Thinking back, I recalled during a demo at the dealer that I had to push the volume up slightly with the h2 after connecting it with the Blu. Have you encountered this as well?

Re: H2 driving the Omegas. Do you think a 300B tube amp is a good match for the Blu/H2 combo driving speakers?

I vaguely recall Rob posting about a slight level reduction from the Blu but I may be wrong. You may want to search the forum for detail.

I honestly have no intuition for what amps and amp topologies work best with mScaled music, except that every amp I’ve tried has taken a non subtle amount away from the presentation. I have not sussed out what is pulling transparency and soundstage down for each variant. Instead, I’ve been exploring how to make 2W work (looking forward to 20W++ with the digital amps)

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #9,919 of 22,475
given you have had time with dave vs blu2/h2 do you now know which option if any you will be going with s.infinity? any reasons here would be great.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #9,921 of 22,475
Has anyone picked up the dignis case for the H2? If so, thoughts? Looks pretty awesome but wondering what it’s like in person, she’s not cheap.

Jan 7, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #9,922 of 22,475
she slides nicely into a guys front pocket I heard..:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #9,924 of 22,475
my voxativ speakers were bliss when directly driven by a hugo2 ...and i see that RME recently announced the ADI-2 DAC which puts out 1.5Watts into 8 ohms. more of a desktop setup but feature packed. i have one on order.
https://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-dac.php

Which Voxativ speakers do you have @dmance? I remember Roy having a pair as well. Fantastic that you could drive them from the Hugo2!

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #9,925 of 22,475
Which Voxativ speakers do you have @dmance? I remember Roy having a pair as well. Fantastic that you could drive them from the Hugo2!
They are DIY ported horns using the AF-2.6 driver. About 98db in my enclosure. They are linear in response ...but with a gradual slope. I EQ'd in JRiver so I get good energy delivery below 40hz. I thought the Hugo2 direct was completely fantastic ...but the low end was a bit thin sounding. I don't have an impedance-vs- freq plot of the drivers but I think this is where a more powerful amp helps! The whole amps-to-volts thing.There has to be some compromise in the H2 output stage here.
Otherwise, very remarkable, almost incredible to see a small battery powered unit driving my speakers to room filling volumes ...at least for nearfield listening.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #9,926 of 22,475
given you have had time with dave vs blu2/h2 do you now know which option if any you will be going with s.infinity? any reasons here would be great.

I believe h2's excellent performance coupled with portability is unmatched by anything in the market. This is also the reason why I am so in love with the h2. Given this, I'll most definitely be going the Blu/h2 route.

Jan 8, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #9,927 of 22,475
I vaguely recall Rob posting about a slight level reduction from the Blu but I may be wrong. You may want to search the forum for detail.

I honestly have no intuition for what amps and amp topologies work best with mScaled music, except that every amp I’ve tried has taken a non subtle amount away from the presentation. I have not sussed out what is pulling transparency and soundstage down for each variant. Instead, I’ve been exploring how to make 2W work (looking forward to 20W++ with the digital amps)

Did you notice a reduction in volume as well?

Jan 8, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #9,930 of 22,475
Hmm - to say there is no PLL or FLL is not being accurate, as the OP of the buffer's clock (when you are reading the data in the local master clock domain) is frequency and/or phase locked to the input clock. Otherwise your buffer would get full or empty. The key is how this frequency or phase control is actually done; this is where the SQ differences occurs. What he is describing is actually identical to my DPLL; but the tricky stuff is not what he describes but how you actually implement the OP clock for the buffer. I should add that I don't think Ted is being disingenuous about this - he is too decent and straightforward to do that - but overall the system is frequency locked (FLL) - and it may use phase locking too in order to acquire lock.

Hi Rob, just briefly back on this topic of jitter rejection, I read this post on the Dave thread:

"Rob has suggested in prior posts that he could synchronously tie the other inputs to DAVE's clock to make them equivalent to USB but this would require a code update. Hopefully, this will one day happen."

Link here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-484#post-13208948

Is this new code that's referred to, something that made it's way to the Hugo2's code?

If not, what is this new/different method for locking onto the Master clock, for TOSlink for example?

As always, much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back