Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 24, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #8,627 of 22,510
Come on, Christer! Now you're really acting as a spoil sport! Why shouldn't it be allowed to enjoy the personal audio Nirvana with an affordable DAC/headphone combo instead of dreaming of something unachievable? You – as someone who think it's unfair of Chord to not give you access to a BluDave at the price of a Mojo – shouldn't always take yourself and your unrealistic conceptions as a guideline for others. I for one could be «perfectly» happy with a Hugo₂ for my needs if it would have come before the DAVE – without the opportunity to audition it anyway –, since the DAVE resides in a price aera that I normally don't enter. The Hugo₂ is a fine piece of audio electronics that will satisfy most audio enthusiasts except for some perfectionists with enough money or willing to sell their kidney.

Hmm, Does "for Good beer's sake" ring a bell?
Some people are willing to go very far to satisfy their cravings.

Have you ever heard of kidney stones?
Sell at least one of your kidneys before it starts developing those.

I am honestly for the time being quite happy with my HUGO and DAC 2, they complement each other quite well.
I choose one or the other depending on what recording I want to play or if I want things a bit more incisive and a bit sharper, or warmer and fuller and with more body.
I know Rob recently claimed he can't listen to music at all via any other than his own dacs.Headphone choice does not seem to matter nearly as much to him as to me. But I can listen via many dacs and often with great enjoyment.
Today I am once again going to visit a realm closer to my ideal Audio Nirvana and Seventh Heaven than either my HUGO or DAC 2 reside in.
Will I ever be able to afford such a system?
No unfortunately not. I don't have 280000 Pounds to spend, although I already have sold both of my kidneys.
Cheers Christer

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #8,628 of 22,510
Christer, you are still lucky.

I have tried to demo the DAVE for some months now, without success. Unfortunately, no HiFi shop in Austria and southern Germany seems to have one for demo. I would have to travel 9 hours (in one direction) to demo one in eastern Germany, or in Switzerland, but I am not willing to go on holiday (together with my Utopia) just to demo the DAVE. A few days ago, I asked the Chord's German distributor (chordelectronics.de) via their online form, but I did not get an answer yet. Unfortunately, Chord's stand at the "High End" trade fair in Munich was substandard this year. It was really crowded already on Thursday (the day for professional visitors) and they had only one DAVE there, which was used as DAC/pre-amp instead of as DAC/headamp with a real high end headphone. There were only two or three mediocre Audeze headphones at the Chord stand, if I remember correctly (well, Audezes are not exactly famous for their neutrality).

I am extremely happy with my Hugo 2 and I will not buy a DAVE soon (probably), but still this is a bit annoying.
Hello,
since someone mentioned "biting the bullet".
Let me once again be very frank. I would never pay the price asked for DAVE new or BLU2 new.
But judging from what I have heard so far HUGO2 and some kind of Mscaler added is tempting.
Cheers from cheapskate Christer and enjoy your HUGO 2.

Oct 25, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #8,629 of 22,510
Hopefully will make the LCDi4 sing! Well I also have the LCD-X but will need to re-terminate the balanced cable with SE to use with the Hugo2. Really want to be able to compare the two headphones for curiosity sake if nothing else...
Hugo 2 + LCD-i4 is an amazing combo that enables unprecedented level of SQ and trans-portability.
To my ears, a great pairing.. pure music nirvana.

I personally use it as a minimalistic desktop setup, as I can't stand over-ear full size cans over a longer period of time.
But it also joins me very often on my trips.. :wink:

Have fun!:ksc75smile:

Oct 25, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #8,630 of 22,510
H2 will work very nicely as a desktop device since there is very little room available and I can get the nice SQ without taking up a bunch of room. Seemingly the perfect solution.

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #8,631 of 22,510
Hugo 2 + LCD-i4 is an amazing combo that enables unprecedented level of SQ and trans-portability.
To my ears, a great pairing.. pure music nirvana.

I personally use it as a minimalistic desktop setup, as I can't stand over-ear full size cans over a longer period of time.
But it also joins me very often on my trips.. :wink:

Have fun!:ksc75smile:

i have been traveling with various different portable set ups for years now....the H2 and LCD-i4 is truly a dream come true ....incredible sound in a travel pckage

Oct 25, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #8,633 of 22,510
i have had ultimate ears and shure 846's.....no comparison..the lcd-i4 to my ears is like a full sized HP shrunk down to miniature.....

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #8,634 of 22,510
BREAKTHROUGH. I don't know if I got lucky or what but I finally figured out how to route apps like bandcamp to Hugo 2 WIRED. You have to open the app, play the song through your device speakers and then plug in the H2 via microusb. I'm using a cheap Amazon micro-b to micro-c all in one cable. Now I'm not avoiding the android upsamplimg but i am avoiding the need to run bandcamp/youtube/etc via Bluetooth to Hugo2. With Hugo2 wired + A18 I probably have close to the highest sound quality of anyone on Bandcamp streaming RN. Lol

I have cleared all defaults for UAPP and Android system is set to "charge this connected device.

Finally......I just got Hugo 2 today. Never expected to be able to solve this S8+ related problem in just a few minutes since it's been plaguing me for months with Mojo and weeks with my Hugo2 demo unit but the unit I'm using now is actually mine to keep.

My early impressions of Hugo2 + A18

I'm in pure bliss with the A18 and Hugo2, the depth and height of the stage combined with the width of the A18 is unbelievable. The resolution is unbelievable. I'm constantly hearing things I've never heard. The timbre is eerily realistic and lifelike, songs SOUND different because of it. The bass is authoritative and deep wiith great extension and hits just like I prefer. The image solidity and segregation in stage is spectacular with lots of space between the images. Images are allowed to extend and dissolve to the lowest registers of audibility. The highs are smooth and incredibly detailed. Pure bliss.

More to come in a formal H2 review.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #8,636 of 22,510
I really do miss the old photo gallery feature for each thread, I think I remember it being currawongs idea for the old forum.

Anyways what are you guys using as a transport when you take your Hugo’s out n about?

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #8,637 of 22,510
Looking forward to your H2 review, Ike.
If you could, please do compare it to the mojo... curious as to what you think.
I just made an appointment today to get the impressions for the A18s. Very excited for my very first customs.
My H2, in the meanwhile, is getting banged up... I dropped it! It was in a small bag but still:face_palm: Still sounds awesome, though!! Hope it survives until the A18s arrive.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #8,638 of 22,510
Looking forward to your H2 review, Ike.
If you could, please do compare it to the mojo... curious as to what you think.
I just made an appointment today to get the impressions for the A18s. Very excited for my very first customs.
My H2, in the meanwhile, is getting banged up... I dropped it! It was in a small bag but still:face_palm: Still sounds awesome, though!! Hope it survives until the A18s arrive.

If someone wants to send me a mojo I'd be happy to but unfortunately I sold Mojo to afford H2.

Are you enjoying the A18 more than Zeus with Hugo 2?

I can't make that judgement yet. I will say overall A18 has a more engaging, exciting and alive sound. Zeus XIV is IMO the best Zeus due to its midrange being so detailed, lush and clear but honestly I just got my own H2 today and have just been using A18. Will switch to Zeus XR soon.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #8,639 of 22,510

Users who are viewing this thread

Back