Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 23, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #8,551 of 22,516
Maybe the other dacs should be knocked... The price of things is relative. If you are in the group that more than half of Americans fall into with "less than $1,000 in their savings accounts.", then the price of a Hugo2 may seem like a big deal since it costs more than all your savings.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/13/how-much-americans-at-have-in-their-savings-accounts.html

What percentage of the population do you think has a Hugo2 and other dacs in the same price bracket?

I read similar data last weekend about UK citizens and their lack of savings & investments. A worrying % had nearly none of either. But I don't understand what this has to do with the cost of the Hugo 2? No manufacturer or hi-fi dealer ever forced me to spend my money on expensive hi-fi equipment and if I fall into the category of having virtually no savings or investments, I probably shouldn't be buying a Chord Hugo 2 or anything else with a similar price tag. We can't nanny those who might be making foolish purchases (in relation to their lack of means) and there will always be items that seem expensive to most income & savings groups.

If I was wealthy, I'd love to own a helicopter but I'm not wealthy so does that mean helicopters should be priced more cheaply? Sorry, probably a poor example, best I can do.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #8,552 of 22,516
Of course, people's listening sensitivity varies enormously - I have been very surprised that most people find the filter options with Hugo 2 to be subtle - but I personally find them, particularly on extended listening, with the music I listen too, huge. Perhaps I am simply a hyper sensitive listener, or I have just gotten used to what it does.

And I would never characterise the difference between Hugo 2 and other DAC's (and I would state at absolutely every price point) that the difference is not really that big of a difference. The difference is between listening to music all the time (Mojo, Hugo, Dave) or never listening to music at all (all other DAC's I have heard) - it's that enormous to me. The difference becomes much more profound once your brain has broken into the sound, and you become addicted to the musicality.

But horses for courses; and we all respond differently to audio gear and music. If you can get emotional whilst listening to music on inexpensive gear then that's fabulous - for you and your wallet. But it categorically won't work for me...

Edit: I would add that every professional audio reviewer I have met would not agree with you either, in that the differences are not small; that's why Chord DAC's wins countless awards all the time.

Like everyone else, I started with a very modest hi fi system a very long time ago (the very long bit is personal to me!). As I slowly learnt about how to listen to music in a better way (I used to be so happy with my JVC receiver's loudness button) so my desire to use better (and more expensive equipment) also grew (subject to my bank account's capacity to keep up). I could have kept my Audioquest DF Red but my continued wish to improve my audio experience lead me to audition the Hugo 2 and I could hear the improvements in SQ (just as I can between my Plenue 1 DAP and its replacement the Questyle QP2R).

I would of course be much better off if I hadn't developed a taste for 'musicality' as Rob describes it but I've hugely enjoyed improving my own ability to hearing that greater 'musicality' and my recent upgrades (my Hugo 2 arrives in 3 weeks approx) have supercharged my interest in listening to my existing music and has encouraged me to listen to even more new music. For some of us (I suspect many on most of the Head-Fi threads), we feel a passion about music, the kit, going to concerts & gigs and I feel very fortunate that I have been able & continue to be able to afford to continue to develop my 'musicality' with the help of various hi-fi manufacturers. I understand what Rob says about your brain breaking into the sound, for me it has been about developing the skill to hear more from the music than I did at the start of my music & hi-fi journey, getting more from music both live & recorded.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #8,553 of 22,516
Now that I have heard the Hugo 2 a few times it’s really hard to forget the crazy resolution and how realistic instruments sound. Even though it’s a lot of money I am considering a purchase but I have a few questions.

Does the casing still have a slight gap that lets the led lights come through? (Something I dislike and stood out straight away)

Do the balls still rattle around? (Again this stood out straight away and I understand it’s not a fault but I prefer a more “fixed” build quality)

Thanks, hope you’re all enjoying your Hugos

I demoed the one at Audio Sanctuary and didn't shake it! I didn't notice about the slight gap or not either so I'm not much help, am I? Tbh, the Hugo 2 greatly enhanced my AKG K812's SQ and I just spent 2 hours listening to a whole lot of the music on my laptop. I'll have a look re led lights when my H2 arrives in about 3 weeks time and let you know but whilst I understand this bothers you, I'm only interested in SQ. I enjoy the quirky/individual looks of the Hugo 2 because it makes it different/out of the ordinary. If I have the chance to buy something a bit different then that's what I prefer to do, in every instance.

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #8,554 of 22,516
I demoed the one at Audio Sanctuary and didn't shake it! I didn't notice about the slight gap or not either so I'm not much help, am I? Tbh, the Hugo 2 greatly enhanced my AKG K812's SQ and I just spent 2 hours listening to a whole lot of the music on my laptop. I'll have a look re led lights when my H2 arrives in about 3 weeks time and let you know but whilst I understand this bothers you, I'm only interested in SQ. I enjoy the quirky/individual looks of the Hugo 2 because it makes it different/out of the ordinary. If I have the chance to buy something a bit different then that's what I prefer to do, in every instance.
The metal work for the Demo unit’s was an earlier version. Extra fixing screws were added to fix the two haves together with more force which solved the issue.

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #8,555 of 22,516
Of course, people's listening sensitivity varies enormously - I have been very surprised that most people find the filter options with Hugo 2 to be subtle - but I personally find them, particularly on extended listening, with the music I listen too, huge. Perhaps I am simply a hyper sensitive listener, or I have just gotten used to what it does.

And I would never characterise the difference between Hugo 2 and other DAC's (and I would state at absolutely every price point) that the difference is not really that big of a difference. The difference is between listening to music all the time (Mojo, Hugo, Dave) or never listening to music at all (all other DAC's I have heard) - it's that enormous to me. The difference becomes much more profound once your brain has broken into the sound, and you become addicted to the musicality.

But horses for courses; and we all respond differently to audio gear and music. If you can get emotional whilst listening to music on inexpensive gear then that's fabulous - for you and your wallet. But it categorically won't work for me...

Edit: I would add that every professional audio reviewer I have met would not agree with you either, in that the differences are not small; that's why Chord DAC's wins countless awards all the time.

Perhaps "huge difference" is a subjective term. When I say huge difference, I mean in the sense of going from, for example, a set of Beats to a set of HD650's. That's a big leap in outright quality and pretty much everyone would agree that you absolutely can tell a difference. It's not something that you'd have to concentrate on hearing..it's immediate.

So when I say that there isn't that big of a difference between these DACs, I mean that they're all fantastic performers and essentially we're talking about a refinement in sound quality and character, rather than a leap in sheer fidelity

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #8,556 of 22,516
Perhaps "huge difference" is a subjective term. When I say huge difference, I mean in the sense of going from, for example, a set of Beats to a set of HD650's. That's a big leap in outright quality and pretty much everyone would agree that you absolutely can tell a difference. It's not something that you'd have to concentrate on hearing..it's immediate.

So when I say that there isn't that big of a difference between these DACs, I mean that they're all fantastic performers and essentially we're talking about a refinement in sound quality and character, rather than a leap in sheer fidelity
That makes sence. The biggest difference, therefore the most important choice should be the HP; at least I think so.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #8,558 of 22,516
In short yes. The auto shut-off is with digital silence on the spdif but is not on the USB; so long as a USB 5v on vbus is present it will remain on; the reason this is done is some OS will crash if the USB audio is removed when Hugo 2 powers down, then needing a computer restart.

Hi Rob,
long time lurker on this Hugo 2 thread, really looking forward to soon join the other Hugo 2 users!
I'll use the Hugo 2 exclusively as a Desktop unit, as I already have MoJo for travel, and I tried to search on the tread but there's this thing buggering me: is the battery completely bypassed after charging for more than h24 when Hugo 2 turn in desktop mode (and not just kept at 8.1-8.2V to prevent battery wear without triggering charging/discharging cycle)?
I ask this as I think one major benefit of the Hugo TT "engaging sound" comes from it's super-capacitor PSU and I was wondering whether an external LPS (made by super-capacitor) would make any difference on SQ on the Hugo 2. That would be the case ONLY if the internal battery on the unit is bypassed and electric current flow directly via LPS.
I wouldn't care if using a LPS would be a little to none SQ gain, just need to know if it is doable.
Thanks for your time!

Mr.Watts do you mind answer my question a couple of pages back? It's the thing that's keeping me from buy the Hugo 2 (also it's not in stock at my reseller XD) I think you missed it :beerchug:
I't the one I'm quoting now.
Thanks

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #8,559 of 22,516
We are not going to agree on this.

I have heard a set of Beats sounding fantastic - rhythmic, fast and musical. They were being demonstrated with the electronics hidden under a counter.

And under the counter? Hidden was a Hugo 1.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly, Rob, so perhaps you would be kind enough to clarify.

Am I correct in understanding that you were implying that Hugo 1 doesn't sound all that great unless one uses it with a truly audiophile set of cans like Beats?

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #8,560 of 22,516

Hello TheoS53,
I skimmed through your review maybe too quickly, but I did not hear one single mentioning of what music you played in your review comparing H2 and the Ifi Black.
And you only mentioned one single pair of iems used and no over ear headphones ?
Why?
For a review of products in the VERY ELEVATED PREMIUM PRICE RANGE for a portable unit,H2 sells at to be of any real interest to me I need a lot more in depth references and listening material mentioned.
IMO a product like H2 needs to be tested with the best possible most demanding material and headphones of similar quality.
When I audition DACs or any other HIFI products via headphones I use some of the best and most resolving headphones on the market.
I do so because if a DAC in this price range is not sounding good with headphones like HD800/HD800S or HEKV2 or Utopias and similar HIGHEND headphones I consider it a complete waste of money to spend on the product if it does not scale with those to pay anywhere near the price of H2.
I have not auditioned the iFi Black ,but maybe you would have come to different conclusions if you had used better than average IEMs in your review?
Since obviously take your reviewing quite seriously may I suggest that you include both material used and use more than IEMs next time you review an upmarket priced item like H2.

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #8,561 of 22,516
We are not going to agree on this.

I have heard a set of Beats sounding fantastic - rhythmic, fast and musical. They were being demonstrated with the electronics hidden under a counter.

And under the counter? Hidden was a Hugo 1.
Excuse my ignorance but what are "Beats"?
Are they the kind of IEMs the kids are using with their iPhones?

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #8,562 of 22,516

"Varatio delectat" I suppose but I personally care MUCH MORE about ergonomics and actual SQ than design for design's sake.
I am not at all interested in EYE FI over HI FI, I am only interested in the highest possible value for money in strict AUDIO PERFORMANCE and practical usage terms.
Any design or parts or connections compromises should always come second to performance IMO.
If I eventually buy a HUGO 2 I will do so in spite of its unfortunate compromises and weird design choices.
Not because of them.
But I have to confess I haven't shaken HUGO 2 at all during any of my auditioning sessions.
Shaking is something I do with some drinks but not with HIFI equipment.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #8,564 of 22,516
Mr.Watts do you mind answer my question a couple of pages back? It's the thing that's keeping me from buy the Hugo 2 (also it's not in stock at my reseller XD) I think you missed it :beerchug:
I't the one I'm quoting now.
Thanks

No I didn't miss it, I had intended to respond when I got back to the office, as it's not an easy post to answer. Then I forgot about it... No the battery is not bypassed, and nor would you want it too, as it offers very low noise.

One of the problems I wanted to address with Hugo was the super cap issue - in particular you could hear the super caps when in DAC mode. So clearly, the PSU needed improving.
What is not understood by many designers is that the PSU is a source of distortion - and is a function of signal related currents, the PSU impedance, and the amps power supply rejection ratio (PSRR).

The PSRR was not good enough, so to eliminate this problem I created a boost PSU voltage that sat on top of the battery. This was then linearly regulated, and supplied the amplifier (not the OP stage). Thus the signal dependent and distortion generating part was separated from the sensitive side. This arrangement gave a 10,000 times improvement to the problem, without using super-caps.

The proof of the effectiveness of this is with the stereo separation slide:

Slide11.JPG

Why this is important is the lack of distortion from the PSU - there is only a faint trace of 2nd harmonic at -170 dB, with no higher order harmonics at all - and this is with the other ch running 213 mW into a 33 ohm load.

As to changing the supplied PSU with a linear one, then with headphones don't bother - you can't hear the PSU connected or not.

Rob

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #8,565 of 22,516
I believe they are the most popular (sales) and highest grossing ($) headphone brand on the planet, currently owned by apple.
Please disregard if you were being sarcastic.

Thanks for the information.
I have honestly never heard of them before.
Apple sure knows how to make money . But do they also know how to make good headphones?
I have seen lots of brightly coloured little headphones in Apple shops but never bothered to try them.
"Beats" ok you learn something new every day.
Cheers Christer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back