Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 28, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #3,241 of 22,475

i've been using a wired connection for years now. with wireless i mean can wifi support tidal hifi flac streaming with no issues?

Apr 28, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #3,242 of 22,475
i've been using a wired connection for years now. with wireless i mean can wifi support tidal hifi flac streaming with no issues?

Hi mate, impossible for anyone to say, it really depends on your WiFi connection at home, no? Very easy to test fortunately.. If you have no playback issues you're fine :) There's a free Tidal too so it literally will cost nothing to try.
Cheers mate

Apr 28, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #3,243 of 22,475
hi Em. i think i'll be ok my connection speed is 150mbps!! i've been using tidal lossless for some months now wired. very impressed. ill test it today or tomorrow with wifi. by using my macbook air battery powered until i get an intona industrial i have a nice isolated set up as Rob explained to me. iso regen plus lps1 comes in at nearly 600 pounds in UK or to have it shipped from U.S plus taxes. intona retails for 300 half the price. i can't justify spending 600 and for me personally the build quality of the intona industrial is miles ahead of isoregen. with 'true' signal integrity as Daniel explained to me and internal linear regulation providing clean power on the isolated side in conjunction with hugo 2 it will be mind blowing. i recall what it did to a modi multibit dac i previously owned. 2 weeks for hugo 2 hopefully. foot tapping........:gs1000smile: i feel using hugo 2 with an unisolated mains powered imac is plain silly when i can utilise a battery powered macbook air in the meantime. all previous gear sold to fund hugo 2.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #3,245 of 22,475
as i thought it seems some of these shops advertise that they have it in stock but when you phone it turns out they're just taking preorders. they don't have them in stock in the shop yet. fanthorpes told me they didn't anticipate the interest levels. it seems they are reeling in prospective buyers to put on their list.

On an unrelated note John stated the polycarbonate balls do not rotate. does that include the volume ball?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #3,246 of 22,475
hi Em. i think i'll be ok my connection speed is 150mbps!! i've been using tidal lossless for some months now wired. very impressed. ill test it today or tomorrow with wifi. by using my macbook air battery powered until i get an intona industrial i have a nice isolated set up as Rob explained to me. iso regen plus lps1 comes in at nearly 600 pounds in UK or to have it shipped from U.S plus taxes. intona retails for 300 half the price. i can't justify spending 600 and for me personally the build quality of the intona industrial is miles ahead of isoregen. with 'true' signal integrity as Daniel explained to me and internal linear regulation providing clean power on the isolated side in conjunction with hugo 2 it will be mind blowing. i recall what it did to a modi multibit dac i previously owned. 2 weeks for hugo 2 hopefully. foot tapping........:gs1000smile: i feel using hugo 2 with an unisolated mains powered imac is plain silly when i can utilise a battery powered macbook air in the meantime. all previous gear sold to fund hugo 2.

Hi mate, it's hard to really comment on exactly how the Hugo 2 or the Uptone ISO REGEN will perform - neither are released ! :) I really like Rob's comments about the Hugo 2's USB performance without any USB galvanic isolation. Even though I have that covered it's an amazing design achievement for a portable device.

The Intona is great and will be great for some time even with newer products coming out this year. But it's not sensible to say the Intona sounds better than something not yet released ! :) In my mind, on paper only, the ISO REGEN + LPS-1 combination (pricey, I know) may be the new combination to beat, only reading the technical info that's been released. It's impossible to know how it will actually sound until it's out though. As always the proof will be in the listening :)
Cheers buddy

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #3,248 of 22,475
More like £675 + Meanwell + p&p, which I think is still very much worth it if it delivers as claimed. I have already ordered from Vortexbox UK so will find out for myself towards the end of May.​

Very nice. How do you find your mRendu + LPS-1 going into your Dave USB input, vs direct USB connection to PC?

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #3,249 of 22,475
Very nice. How do you find your mRendu + LPS-1 going into your Dave USB input, vs direct USB connection to PC?
I've not yet done this comparison as my computer (iMac) is upstairs while my audio gear is downstairs. Up until now I have only used my iMac with my Mojo. My main system downstairs uses the NAS as file-holder, which then runs through switch, optical isolation, mR and then DAVE. My fiddling about has been mostly in terms of swapping in and out the switch and fmcs, and trying out different cables/connectors.

On the advice received from others I will probably later this year get a small low spec, double-ethernet socket pc in order to try out the 'direct/bridged' connection approach, which hopefully will boost sq and allow me to remove the fmcs from this chain.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,250 of 22,475
I've not yet done this comparison as my computer (iMac) is upstairs while my audio gear is downstairs. Up until now I have only used my iMac with my Mojo. My main system downstairs uses the NAS as file-holder, which then runs through switch, optical isolation, mR and then DAVE. My fiddling about has been mostly in terms of swapping in and out the switch and fmcs, and trying out different cables/connectors.

On the advice received from others I will probably later this year get a small low spec, double-ethernet socket pc in order to try out the 'direct/bridged' connection approach, which hopefully will boost sq and allow me to remove the fmcs from this chain.

Excellent stuff.

Apr 28, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,251 of 22,475
Is hd usb on hugo2 asynchrous? can't find the answer.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #3,253 of 22,475
My set would be very simple. iMac running roon core connected to one dac my hugo 2. out of interest until i can implement real isolation on my imac am i okay to stream tidal hifi lossless with wifi from my macbook air? no risk of losing signal etc? the tidal posters reassured me its ok but i'd like to check again here.

also i found 29 nice images from a Japanese site showing hugo 2 in use. just click on the first image by scrolling to the top of the page to access the other 29 images in a slideshow.

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/review/review/1052221.html#020_s.png

thanks to all MK.

Thanks for this article musickid, definitely a great read!

The one thing that stuck in my mind was when the author said this:

"The FPGAs installed in Hugo 2 are the same as those used for Mojo. However, Mojo could not demonstrate the best performance in terms of power. Since Hugo 2 can use more electric power, it can demonstrate the performance of FPGA 100%, realized Hugo 2 specifications."

I'm not sure how accurate this is; I was under the impression that Hugo 2 used a slightly bigger FPGA than Mojo but I also gave this possibility a thought after Hugo 2's release.

Maybe Rob or John can clarify if this is the case. If they really did use the same FPGA as Mojo I'm even more impressed!

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #3,254 of 22,475
I totally agree mate, just hope the hugo 2 is all sorted before being released, something they should of tested with this new site before changing it from the old one, this is the first time I've been able to get on without crashing,that was meant for musickid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back