Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 6, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #21,886 of 22,546
Thank you for your answer. So even when using it as a stationary DAC, you keep it running on battery. Is there any disadvantage in terms of SQ or is it just a question of reducing the natural lifespan of the batteries.

Cheers.
I've not noticed any big difference in sound quality between running unplugged and with it connected in desktop mode. Possibly maybe slightly brighter plugged in? The only exception to this was when I let the battery run down to the point where the charge state was flashing red. When it started charging there was a slight 50Hz hum until the battery had a bit of charge in it.

I'm not really too worried about degrading the batteries, I usually recharge when red charge state comes on or before and don't leave it fully charged for long. Given I listen 1-2 hours a day on average, the batteries should last many years on this regime. Replacement looks simple enough if they fail or run time goes unacceptably low.

Mar 6, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #21,887 of 22,546
Can get a Hugo 2 on used market for about half price.
People tend to look after these, so even a used one is most likely to be in very good condition.
Regarding desktop use, it comes with a remote, so yeh - good for desktop use.
Plug your charger in, switch it on, never switch it off, it is all cool. Hugo 2 is smart, after a certain time being connected to charger and switched on, it reverts to desktop mode, meaning, it would use only the charger, and saves the batteries. On idle, it would use a mere 2W of power.
Just don't use a $2 charger, please. :relaxed:
Just beware of one thing.
Both Hugo2 and Mojo2 do not have USB isolation, for a valid reason. They are also single ended by design, so you might get a ground-loop issue, if you connect a grounded PC and a grounded poweramp to them.
Use optical input and you are golden.
Touching point on chargers, I do use "a cheap charger" (off-the-shelf Anker charger).

Are there any recommendations on that? :eyes:
My guess is that I don't really need something like a linear PW since the H2 already has some very good filtering right?

Mar 6, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #21,888 of 22,546
Touching point on chargers, I do use "a cheap charger" (off-the-shelf Anker charger).

My guess is that I don't really need something like a linear PW since the H2 already has some very good filtering right?
When I said don't use a cheap charger, it was because some cheap chargers can damage your device.
Safety was my concern.
Any charger capable of 2 amps or more (10W) that came with your phone, or Chords own is fine.

Mar 6, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #21,889 of 22,546
Can get a Hugo 2 on used market for about half price.
People tend to look after these, so even a used one is most likely to be in very good condition.
Regarding desktop use, it comes with a remote, so yeh - good for desktop use.
Plug your charger in, switch it on, never switch it off, it is all cool. Hugo 2 is smart, after a certain time being connected to charger and switched on, it reverts to desktop mode, meaning, it would use only the charger, and saves the batteries. On idle, it would use a mere 2W of power.
Just don't use a $2 charger, please. :relaxed:
Just beware of one thing.
Both Hugo2 and Mojo2 do not have USB isolation, for a valid reason. They are also single ended by design, so you might get a ground-loop issue, if you connect a grounded PC and a grounded poweramp to them.
Use optical input and you are golden.
Thank you for your answer. My particular issue is that I will be using the Hugo 2 as both a portable DAC around the house and as a Desktop one also. Since I'm looking for a DAC for both situations I can either go with 2 "cheaper" solutions or one with more quality (like this one) that would have to do both tasks. It is a budget restrain :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So due to the usage I would be giving it, and the way it works, I believe it would be running on batteries 90% of the time. I'm just not sure if this is an issue or not.

I believe, in the long run, switching batteries could not be a big deal since it uses 2 18650 protected batteries and it would be something maybe I could replace myself, if the right batteries would be bought, at least I hope so!:ksc75smile:

Mar 6, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #21,890 of 22,546
Plug your charger in, switch it on, never switch it off, it is all cool. Hugo 2 is smart, after a certain time being connected to charger and switched on, it reverts to desktop mode, meaning, it would use only the charger, and saves the batteries.
Are you sure about this?
I’m not doubting you personally, I’m just confused as this has never been clear to me.
I seem to recall reading something to the effect that Desktop Mode limits the battery charge to 85% (As opposed to bypassing the charging altogether.)
Or I might be confusing charging H2 when it’s turned on vs. off?

Mar 6, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #21,891 of 22,546
When I said don't use a cheap charger, it was because some cheap chargers can damage your device.
Safety was my concern.
Any charger capable of 2 amps or more (10W) that came with your phone, or Chords own is fine.

Just so you don’t do what I did:
I bought an H2/2Go used without a charger.
I already had a decent 2A charger but I was getting error flashing from H2 after it was charging a while.
Ending up buying 2 different chargers - same issue.
Turned out the charging cable I’d been using didn’t support 2 amps.
The problem was a cheap charging cable not a cheap charger.

Mar 6, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #21,892 of 22,546
Are you sure about this?
I’m not doubting you personally, I’m just confused as this has never been clear to me.
I seem to recall reading something to the effect that Desktop Mode limits the battery charge to 85% (As opposed to bypassing the charging altogether.)
Or I might be confusing charging H2 when it’s turned on vs. off?
So what do you think happens after batteries reach %85?
It carries on working on external power.
I could be wrong though , but seems logical.

Mar 6, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #21,894 of 22,546
Rob said (can't find the post now.) that in desktop mode the charging current is equal to the discharge current , so the current to battery is zero.

Basically, the battery is not being charged in desktop mode.

Probably:

1. Desktop mode is designed so that the battery voltage is the best for long term operation, and the charging current equals the dissipation current, so the battery only supplies dynamic power.

Mar 7, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #21,895 of 22,546
1. The batteries in Hugo 2 last a very long time before degrading sufficiently to be a nuisance.

2. They are easily replaced.

Time to stop worrying about the batteries and just enjoy this magnificent device.

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #21,896 of 22,546
So what do you think happens after batteries reach %85?
It carries on working on external power.
I could be wrong though , but seems logical.
I was wondering if there was some sort of relay or something so the battery is bypassed.
I realize now I’m overthinking it.

Edit to remove blathering after seeing other replies.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #21,897 of 22,546
1. The batteries in Hugo 2 last a very long time before degrading sufficiently to be a nuisance.

Time to stop worrying about the batteries and just enjoy this magnificent device.
I agree on your point 1 but I don't 100% agree with you on point 2. If you can't DIY it and you live in a part of the world where Chord support isn't very good on non-existent then it may be tricky and/or very expensive to replace the batteries.

I can understand those Hugo 2 owners worries.

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #21,898 of 22,546

Adding one more point: Battery provides the best SQ.

I've tried different LPS, SMPS, power bank, AC noise filter, and DC noise filter, but none of them has the same SQ as the internal battery. I end up using the internal battery at home when doing critical listening.

Mar 7, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #21,899 of 22,546
Adding one more point: Battery provides the best SQ.

I've tried different LPS, SMPS, power bank, AC noise filter, and DC noise filter, but none of them has the same SQ as the internal battery. I end up using the internal battery at home when doing critical listening.
Have to say, I prefer the sound on battery power too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back