Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 3, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #21,121 of 22,516
Hi,

I would like to buy the Chord Hugo 2 but the problem is that I'm not sure that it is the right product for me since it is portable and I'm looking for a stationary/desktop option. On the other hand it is old and I would not like to spend so much money for a product of 2017 – the same is for the Chord QUTEST. So I'm asking you if you know a better, newer DAC+AMP than the Chord Hugo 2 at the same price (about 2000€ or 2000$). For example: what about the RME ADI-2 DAC FS? It is the only product which I practically found online after hours of searching. I hope you can help me with this.

If you are hoping for desktop Meta-stack suggestions.

My Chord Hugo2/2Go to the Bryston BHA-1** amp is the best combo I have ever had fir dynamic headphones. Hugo2 with the depth/presentation and the textured subbass presentation.
That synnergizing with the textured bass-to-midbass of the Bryston amp, and the great dynamic mids.

An amazing desktop-level end result.

BHA-1 is the best compensating amp you can get for the Hugo 2. (but I wouldn't be surprised if there are others. Anyone try their hugo2 with a GSX-mini?)

**Low gain version model of the Bryston BHA-1.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #21,122 of 22,516
Hi,

I would like to buy the Chord Hugo 2 but the problem is that I'm not sure that it is the right product for me since it is portable and I'm looking for a stationary/desktop option. On the other hand it is old and I would not like to spend so much money for a product of 2017 – the same is for the Chord QUTEST. So I'm asking you if you know a better, newer DAC+AMP than the Chord Hugo 2 at the same price (about 2000€ or 2000$). For example: what about the RME ADI-2 DAC FS? It is the only product which I practically found online after hours of searching. I hope you can help me with this.
I almost exclusively use the desktop mode and rarely use it mobile with no problems. The versatility to do this is a huge advantage. Since it is not an off-the-shelf DAC chip, obsolescence isn’t much of an issue.

Jul 3, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #21,123 of 22,516
Hi,

Strictly speaking the Hugo 2 was described/sold as transportable, so a blend of desktop and mobile functionality.

I use the Hugo 2 in just desktop mode, I have the Mojo for mobile use.
The Hugo 2 is very versatile, because I use it for headphones, desktop monitor speakers, and it can even drive efficient floorstanding speakers.
I wouldn't worry about it being a 2017 product - don't fall into the trap of believing that you have to replace electronics every year. Manufacturers like to encourage it, because it ensures perpetual sales/profits, but please think of the planet - continually using mineral resources at an ever increasing rate, just to please marketing departments, is not a sustainable mindset.

Is it the right product for you?
I think it could be, but really you need to demo it first, to discover if the sound signature suits your personal tastes.
:relaxed:

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #21,124 of 22,516
Since your posting this on the Hugo 2 thread, why not buy a used Hugo 2?
Doesn’t matter that it’s a 5 year old design. It measures great and sounds great. Since your using it in desktop mode mainly, battery condition isn’t critical.

There isn’t a huge leap in DAC technology like the technology in PCs or phones. Once you get to inaudible distortion, making the distortion more inaudible only looks good on spec sheets. Same for noise floor, jitter, etc…

If you are hoping for desktop Meta-stack suggestions.

My Chord Hugo2/2Go to the Bryston BHA-1** amp is the best combo I have ever had fir dynamic headphones. Hugo2 with the depth/presentation and the textured subbass presentation.
That synnergizing with the textured bass-to-midbass of the Bryston amp, and the great dynamic mids.

An amazing desktop-level end result.

BHA-1 is the best compensating amp you can get for the Hugo 2. (but I wouldn't be surprised if there are others. Anyone try their hugo2 with a GSX-mini?)

**Low gain version model of the Bryston BHA-1.

I almost exclusively use the desktop mode and rarely use it mobile with no problems. The versatility to do this is a huge advantage. Since it is not an off-the-shelf DAC chip, obsolescence isn’t much of an issue.

Strictly speaking the Hugo 2 was described/sold as transportable, so a blend of desktop and mobile functionality.

I use the Hugo 2 in just desktop mode, I have the Mojo for mobile use.
The Hugo 2 is very versatile, because I use it for headphones, desktop monitor speakers, and it can even drive efficient floorstanding speakers.
I wouldn't worry about it being a 2017 product - don't fall into the trap of believing that you have to replace electronics every year. Manufacturers like to encourage it, because it ensures perpetual sales/profits, but please think of the planet - continually using mineral resources at an ever increasing rate, just to please marketing departments, is not a sustainable mindset.

Is it the right product for you?
I think it could be, but really you need to demo it first, to discover if the sound signature suits your personal tastes.
:relaxed:

Thank you very much for the replies, this helps me a lot!

For now, I bought the Hugo 2 in order to compare it with the FiiO K9 Pro ESS but here there is no competion because the Hugo 2 is just overall much better.

My problem that the Hugo 2 is from 2017 is that I have fear that this or next year a new version comes, so it would be a pity to spend now so much money if it is so, but I think that I should just buy it (maybe used?) if I like it.

But this surprises me very much: I have spent hours looking for an alternative to the Hugo 2 that is in the same price range and reproduces a better sound, and yet so far I could not find anything useful, can this really be true?

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #21,125 of 22,516
But this surprises me very much: I have spent hours looking for an alternative to the Hugo 2 that is in the same price range and reproduces a better sound, and yet so far I could not find anything useful, can this really be true?
Yes, the Hugo 2 withstands the test of time. All these years on and still there's no DAP that outperforms it.

As others have pointed out, DACs do not "age" in the way a smartphone does.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #21,126 of 22,516
Yes, the Hugo 2 withstands the test of time. All these years on and still there's no DAP that outperforms it.

This is incredible but very good to know.

I think, I will just compare the Hugo 2 with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and I will make my decision.

Just curious: I read that the Hugo 2 has a better sound performance even than Chord Qutest+Anni which is strange for me. Do you know something about this? Can you confirm this?

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #21,127 of 22,516

This I agree 1000%.

PSA: If there is a dac you liked back in the days (90s, 2000s, 2010s) that you liked but can't afford, now you can and the dac will still sound just as good you remembered and you will not be buying blind because you would have heard it already.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #21,129 of 22,516
This is incredible but very good to know.

I think, I will just compare the Hugo 2 with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and I will make my decision.

Just curious: I read that the Hugo 2 has a better sound performance even than Chord Qutest+Anni which is strange for me. Do you know something about this? Can you confirm this?
I had the RME alongside the Hugo2 for a while. The DSP and various features on the RME are very good but the presentation for me was rather soft, slightly dry, and the amp lacked dynamics. Build was also iffy.

I haven't heard the Anni but I have the Qutest and compared it with the Hugo 2 a few times. There are subtle differences when using the same amp but the Qutest runs from DC power and the Hugo2 from battery. Then you have to factor in if you're running the Hugo 2 via 2Go or coax and if you're running the Qutest with an aftermarket power supply, etc. All these aspects will give a slightly different presentation and also create an uneven basis for comparison.

From what I gather, Anni is rather warm and smooth (I.e., mini TT2), which is not how I'd describe Hugo 2.

Jul 3, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #21,130 of 22,516
Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #21,131 of 22,516
Jul 3, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #21,132 of 22,516
Thank you very much for the replies, this helps me a lot!

For now, I bought the Hugo 2 in order to compare it with the FiiO K9 Pro ESS but here there is no competion because the Hugo 2 is just overall much better.

My problem that the Hugo 2 is from 2017 is that I have fear that this or next year a new version comes, so it would be a pity to spend now so much money if it is so, but I think that I should just buy it (maybe used?) if I like it.

Yes it can be true, because the Hugo 2 is very good at its' pricepoint.

Addressing your concern about will a new Hugo 3 appear soon, my opinion is not for at least 18 months.
My opinion is based on the following:
  • Historically I have been a 'glass half-full' fan of Chord, so always with an optimistic viewpoint
  • This Spring Rob Watts responded to various enthusiastic posts by owners to point out that:
    • Some key components have a leadtime of over 52 weeks
    • There are still major difficulties for manufacturers to secure components
    • This greatly impacts Robs ability to 'test' prototypes of any new designs
    • the near-term focus is on releasing the xScaler in a Choral range case - envisaged for 2022 Q4, but since then various posts talk about 'Winter' so to me it feels like shipping is slipping to 2023 Q1
Yes it is only my own personal opinion, but it feels like we are now unlikely to see anything radical released during 2022, and for 2023 we will see the xScaler, plus maybe something related to the Davina project which focuses towards professional audio recording.

2024 - who knows.

Yes Chord are traditionally secretive and don't give out clues about strategy.
It is just my opinion but I don't anticipate a Hugo 3 until 2024 at the earliest.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #21,133 of 22,516
Hi,

Don't make this mistake, you won't regret getting a Chord product IMO.

I spent years not thinking about getting the Hugo 2 because I thought it's weird design was questionable and boy was I wrong.

Hugo 2 is perfect for the desktop IMO, it takes up no space and if you wanna take it to your bedroom and listen in bed, you can.

Jul 3, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #21,134 of 22,516
I was afraid I was overpaying, but the Hugo 2's quality has brought me so much joy. I will be right there when the Hugo 3 comes out.

Jul 4, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #21,135 of 22,516
I was afraid I was overpaying, but the Hugo 2's quality has brought me so much joy. I will be right there when the Hugo 3 comes out.
I couldn't have put it better. Amen to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back