Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 12, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #15,092 of 22,537
From memory, the iFi Groundhog comes with the RCA adapter and also 3.5mm adapter?

Also comes with a USB adapter but not useful for grounding Hugo2. Could use it to ground a USB source though, if it's floating and causing the issue.

Which adapter did you use to ground your Hugo2? I'm guessing the RCA adapter is easiest?

Using optical input in Hugo2, grounding the source doesn’t solve the problem. But using USB input, you can ground the source and Hugo2 will be grounded.

Jan 12, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #15,093 of 22,537
Using optical input in Hugo2, grounding the source doesn’t solve the problem. But using USB input, you can ground the source and Hugo2 will be grounded.

Yup understood. I only meant grounding the USB source if using USB input of Hugo2.

The strange thing is that you were getting hum with only optical input of Hugo2?

So you only (initially) had 3 things connected to Hugo2 and you were getting audible hum? Optical input, 5Vdc SMPS and your IEMs?

Normally groundloop hums happen due to 'loops' formed between multiple PSU's but with optical isolation, you don't have any 'loop' through Hugo2?

Most important thing is you solved the issue of course but maybe @Rob Watts could explain the mechanism for hum when only using optical input with Hugo2 directly driving cans (no separate headphone amp).

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #15,095 of 22,537
Here is what @Rob Watts said back then:

It's because your system is not earthed. The ground leakage current from the PSU's, although very small currents, are at high voltage, and when you touch an anodized surface, most of the time you are isolated from the leakage current, and the voltage builds up; then your finger touches a lower impedance part of the chassis, and the current discharges through your finger, and the discharge gives you the tingle. If you actually touch something conductive on your PC, then it will discharge, and you will feel nothing.

So earth your system, the tingling will certainly go away and probably the hum.

Jan 12, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #15,097 of 22,537
So Hugo2 is directly driving your IEMs? There's no separate headphone amp?

What's the complete chain feeding Hugo2?

The more detail you can share, the better chances of better help. Because solving ground loop hum can be tricky to isolate.

It's a bit easier when it's just Hugo2 directly driving cans/IEMs though. Likely just need to ground the source if it's floating - or ground Hugo2 since Hugo2's stock PSU is floating.

iFi do have the iFi Groundhog. A bit expensive for what it does (compared with DIY) but not everyone is comfortable with DIY and it could help - if you can isolate the cause of the problem (source is floating?).

If putting your hand on Hugo2 makes the hum go away, then grounding Hugo2 could/should work.

I think I saw @Rob Watts mention somewhere that you can ground Hugo2 via the 3.5mm digital coax input? Or either RCA connector?

Best is to share a sketch of your system, showing connections. And what is grounded and what isn't.

To make things trickier - some SMPS's have an AC earth pin that isn't actually connected to anything, i.e. isn't continuous with the DC plug -ve. That's where a continuity test can help (with digital multimeter) to show this.

S8+ --> micro usb to usb c cord --> h2 --> A18t.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #15,100 of 22,537
You get hum when the S8+ is running off battery? Or only when it's connected to wall charger?

The s8 cant be connected to a charger because the micro-c to micro-b cord that connects it to hugo is using the charging port on the phone so it's running off battery.

It's odd because I dont rememeber hearing it before. ifi offers a bunch of products so I'm unsure if the groundhog is what I need or what because the groundhog is only needed if you touch h2 and the hum gets louder.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #15,101 of 22,537
The s8 cant be connected to a charger because the micro-c to micro-b cord that connects it to hugo is using the charging port on the phone so it's running off battery.

I'm surprised they don't have an OTG adapter for that still - the way Apple do for iOS devices.

See the discussion above for possible solution. Hope it helps.

Jan 12, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #15,102 of 22,537
According to the ifi website if I touch it and the noise does not increase, I have multiple earths.

You said:

"I am getting a hum/buzz from my hugo2 now when charging. If I put my hand on it while it's making the sound, my hand will absorb it and it disappears."

Below, iFi are saying similar to the Rob quote posted earlier:

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 12.10.37 pm.png

Jan 13, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #15,105 of 22,537
I copied this (with minor adjustments) over from the Qutest thread because I think it's important.

Stereophile review of Qutest.

STEREOPHILE QUTEST

The output graph of frequency and amplitude, interested me. It shows that the Qutest has a flat response, which to me is ideal. It means you have a reference source, and any bass or treble emphasis is coming from other components. Better to have at least one component as reference, for me, anyway.

However it also demonstrates what quite a few of us in the Hugo2 thread have been saying all along. That the Hugo 2 has a perfectly flat response. While some others have been trying to imply that the Hugo 2 is bright. I think they were trying to troll Chord, and or, are in denial about the rest of their partnering equipment.

Also reviews of the Hugo 2 and Qutest are off the charts in complementary terms. It's a shame that a few headfiers seem to be trying to spoil it for the rest of people.

I personally find the Hugo 2 rich in timbre. Not as rich as the TT2 will be, but the Hugo 2 is a fine DAC. Right away from the minute I plugged put music through it, I knew it was right and said so. (I remember @x RELIC x saying the Hugo 2 was 'bang on neutral', and I agreed.) I remember hardly being able to believe my ears. I was initially outfaced by the Hugo 2's detail, and knew it would take time to adjust. It took a month. Still however, just over one year later, the Hugo 2 still stuns and surprises me every time I use it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back