CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 20, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #19,232 of 25,867
Roon is adamant there is no sound change with builds. I disagree.
I'm glad you've also noticed it. I stopped listening to my DAVE+Blu Mk II for several weeks via Roon because of the degradation. The difference with Build 904 isn't subtle and while the changes they've made may inadvertently impact the quality, I also wouldn't expect them to disclose and confirm their updates do change the sound-- at least not to audiophiles who are chasing the pappi of dandelions around in the dust bowl of streaming/network audio.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #19,233 of 25,867
Anyone experienced the following problem with their Dave?

1) Volume is normally -5. It randomly goes to -55 for about 10 seconds and then goes back to -5

2) screen shuts off for a second and turns back on in the middle of a song.

Might be a power problem….

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #19,234 of 25,867

I've had this screen thing happen many times. but not the volume thing you're experiencing. no idea why the screen goes blank though.. i've had two loaner Daves, both of which exhibit the same behaviour.

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #19,235 of 25,867
I've had this screen thing happen many times. but not the volume thing you're experiencing. no idea why the screen goes blank though.. i've had two loaner Daves, both of which exhibit the same behaviour.
The music stops for 1-2 seconds when it flickers….

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #19,236 of 25,867
I have had a Dave since they first came out but I always have it on screen 4 option which turns off the screen anyway after a few seconds so sorry I can’t help. I do this as my natural instinct is to try to promote longevity of that component.

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #19,237 of 25,867
Feb 21, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #19,238 of 25,867
Oh weird. It’s going to headphone mode on its own

307E73E1-9C32-4EE6-B16A-75470875F582.jpeg

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #19,239 of 25,867
How do you get 1.9? My version is 1.8 build 903 and I recently just updated to it but it isn't showing me any available updates?
The current latest is 1.8. Build 904 was a Mac only bug fix.

975AF042-C950-4B3C-AAF8-3B5160747AEB.jpeg

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #19,240 of 25,867
There have been various reports of the latest Roon sounding good and several of my friends have been preferring it to other server/players based on sound quality as opposed to just for user interface reasons. I also am tempted to return to Roon instead of Squeeze . . . . .
Tested the latest Roon and still much prefer it serving squeeze-lite mode rather than RAAT.

Feb 21, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #19,241 of 25,867
Tested the latest Roon and still much prefer it serving squeeze-lite mode rather than RAAT.

I agree. Whilst it is still an ‘experimental’ mode on the Innuos Statement, I find it to be extremely stable and it sounds very refined using 1.8 build 903, which is the latest version for my setup. There are occasionally amusing arguments about Roon updates and sound quality on the Roon forum which take me back a few years. Very odd how hostile some people can get over these matters and how absolutely ‘factually correct‘ some folk consider themselves to be. 😁

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:06 AM Post #19,242 of 25,867
Anyone experienced the following problem with their Dave?
If the screen briefly switches off and on again and nothing else is going wrong, then this is normal DAVE behaviour as it saves away current settings (e.g. filter on or off).
It usually happens a little while after you've changed one of the settings. I'm not sure if it also occasionally happens if no settings have been changed.

It's part of the clunky menu scrolling design limitations that I occasionally complain about.
For example, I'm using the cursor left/right action to swap between +ve and -ve phase to see which sounds best and, in the middle of this, the screen momentarily blanks (to save current settings), which means that the phase function is no longer highlighted, which means that my next cursor left/right action will cause the input to change instead of the phase. So I have to press a couple more buttons to get back to my starting point.

It's clunky, but not the end of the world and it's a DAVE "eccentricity" that I just have to put up with.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #19,243 of 25,867
Oh weird. It’s going to headphone mode on its own
If DAVE does randomly switch to headphone mode (and by doing so interrupting the 2 channel playback), I guess it is (falsely) detecting a plugged in headphone. If there's no headphone attached, I guess the switch on DAVE's headphone socket is defective. If your DAVE is out of warranty, you could easily open Dave and look for the headphone socket. It's easily accessible.

Or maybe just plugin in and out a headphone (several times) to readjust the contact of the switch.

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #19,244 of 25,867
If DAVE does randomly switch to headphone mode (and by doing so interrupting the 2 channel playback), I guess it is (falsely) detecting a plugged in headphone. If there's no headphone attached, I guess the switch on DAVE's headphone socket is defective. If your DAVE is out of warranty, you could easily open Dave and look for the headphone socket. It's easily accessible.

Or maybe just plugin in and out a headphone (several times) to readjust the contact of the switch.
Yup turns out there’s dust inside the jack. Jammed a headphone jack in a few times and it solved the problem for now.

Feb 21, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #19,245 of 25,867
Have a small conundrum and wondering if any one has experience in this area with the Dave specifically or another setup.

I am starting to demo speakers for a two channel setup I am hoping to build - and was hoping to use the Lumin U1 > Dave/Mscaler > Wave Cables/Opto Dx - all the optimizations I've made to it as the digital front end. Problem is, the way my room is situated I can't really move my headphone setup to where the speakers would be - so I'm looking at a long cable run if I were to do it: probably 25-50 feet (though closer to 25), of balanced interconnects running from the Dave to an integrated amp.

The dealer I'm working with said the Dave XLR output could drive up to 100 feet of XLR cable no problem. This dealer is well-known and widely respected, and it's in his financial interest to sell me another DAC, so I'm inclined to believe him. Still I'm looking for others experiences. I know the depth of soundstage the Dave/Mscaler combo create is fragile - so I don't want to lose that. Has anyone done really long interconnect runs with the Dave - or a preamp or other DAC - with balanced interconnects? The setup creates a few other problems from a convenience perspective but all is workable. My question is related to sound quality alone. I don't want to roll off the high frequencies with excessive capacitance. More worried about that than noise due to running balanced.

From a cable perspective, this leaves me with few choices - I'd likely have to go with something like Mogami, or another pro oriented cable. They are completely flat - which is fine with me - and very low capacitance cable can be obtained, I believe. In the future, I may be able to further optimize this setup - but I'm trying to determine if it makes sense to try and use the Dave with this 2 channel system, or build another system from the ground up - in the long run. Obviously it saves a bunch of money, and money is an object - so I'm not going to be able to get something as high end as the Dave/Mscaler at least to start, if I don't use it..

I know general wisdom is to keep interconnects as short as possible, but obviously in the pro world, they use 100 of feet of interconnects. I was suprised this dealer came back with the recommendation that he did which has made me consider it more as a potential option. He definitely knows his stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back