CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 24, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #10,487 of 25,832
You must be kidding! I have both Dave and Hugo 2 and even though both are great on their own, I know how much better Dave sounds.

^ gonna have to agree with this.

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #10,488 of 25,832
also look into a regenerator for all your equipment except your power amps
OT: Do you consider a headphone amp (relatively low current draw, say 3A) in the amps category, hence would you plug it in an “unfiltered” plug?
Or together with the DAC and other sources in a filtered one?

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #10,489 of 25,832
Hello guys, which power cable are you using with the DAVE?

I am currently using a fair budget cable (http://www.ricable.com/hi-end-power.html), combined with this power distributor http://www.systemsandmagic.com/index_file/eight.htm, and I am wondering about the potential sound quality improvements from stepping up to a higher end power cable in the 400-600Euro price range (I am open to 2nd hand ones, too).

I have no plans for a power regenerator at the moment, as the very good ones are much above my budget right now, and my current priority is keep saving for a Blu2 or a standalone M-Scaler if and when it will come out. Also, my mains line seems not too bad, at least by judging from sound quality variations from busy daily hours to deep night performance.
Still, I am interested in other's experiences about feeding the DAVE with a high-end power cord.

I would prefer a slightly warm-ish signature (if that applies to power cables), as I occasionally suffer from vocals sibilance with my Abyss Phi headphones driven straight out of the DAVE.

Finally, would you recommend a power cable designed specifically for digital sources for the DAVE used as DAC + amp?

Shunyata Denali and Sigma Power cables. Simply sublime.

From your comments, I'd say this level of natural sound, impactful transients and low level signal perception is out of reach at the moment.

Regards
GG

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #10,490 of 25,832
Ok guys so I am getting close to decide to buy Dave over HugoTT/2 since people tried and I wouldn't want to regret making a Midway decison. Also, Rob Watts mentioned that there is no Dave2 coming for the next two years.

The wait time is 6 weeks and costs $8200 with vat. What do you guys think?

DAVE DAVE DAVE. Hugo2 would be useful in my world only if I was to be a massive travel-listener needing a mobile solution. Otherwise DAVE is hands-down superior in every way other than mobile of course.

Regards
GG

Mar 24, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #10,491 of 25,832
You must be kidding! I have both Dave and Hugo 2 and even though both are great on their own, I know how much better Dave sounds.

Also agree with this.

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #10,492 of 25,832

I agree, without question.

What has been achieved with Hugo2 in such a small housing and for it's price is quite extraordinary. The value per $ ratio is astronomically high.

But for outright SQ performance, the difference between my Hugo2 and Dave is significant. Probably something to do with Dave's bigger and better power supply and analogue sections - more taps too.

I just got Dave on Friday last week and am having some issues with my unit which will hopefully be resolved with my dealer on Monday with a replacement unit, so I can get back to being amazed with Dave.

Looking forward to adding the next M-Scaler to Dave, as soon as it's released too.

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #10,493 of 25,832
Try Pangea AC 14se II ‘s better than expensive power cords reasonably priced. also look into a regenerator for all your equipment except your power amps PS audio p5 or a used powerplant premiere (about $1000 used)

Not sure what qualifies as a power amp. Would my Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar headphone amp be considered a power amp? If so, why do you say not to plug a power amp into the P5 Power Plant?

Mar 25, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #10,494 of 25,832
Hello guys, which power cable are you using with the DAVE?

I am currently using a fair budget cable (http://www.ricable.com/hi-end-power.html), combined with this power distributor http://www.systemsandmagic.com/index_file/eight.htm, and I am wondering about the potential sound quality improvements from stepping up to a higher end power cable in the 400-600Euro price range (I am open to 2nd hand ones, too).

I have no plans for a power regenerator at the moment, as the very good ones are much above my budget right now, and my current priority is keep saving for a Blu2 or a standalone M-Scaler if and when it will come out. Also, my mains line seems not too bad, at least by judging from sound quality variations from busy daily hours to deep night performance.

Still, I am interested in other's experiences about feeding the DAVE with a high-end power cord.

I would prefer a slightly warm-ish signature (if that applies to power cables), as I occasionally suffer from vocals sibilance with my Abyss Phi headphones driven straight out of the DAVE.

Finally, would you recommend a power cable designed specifically for digital sources for the DAVE used as DAC + amp?

Your decision to ignore power cords and regenerator at the moment and instead to put the money towards a Blu2 is exactly what I would do. Blu2 will be of far more benefit than anything to do with power. Sure, if when you have Blu2 and you feel like experimenting then you can try some power cords or a regenerator. So that Blu2 can come as quickly as possible why not just use your current power cables or even the supplied stock ones. Just to say on the regenerator front I had a P10 and have sold it. I have not noticed any difference in the sound of my system without it. But then anything to do with power must vary depending on the quality or problems with power you have at home. I suspect there is a large variation and some lucky people really don’t have any issues to solve. I do use quality Belden high current shielded power cables but that is mostly because inevitably they run close to interconnects, digital cables and also speaker cables.

Remember, Blu2 is the objective!

Mar 25, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #10,498 of 25,832
This is a very strange forum
People often post asking for help
What DAC to buy should I buy a Blu2 what cables what power cords
Very few helpful people posting to help the original poster but lots of posts to disagree Strange

Mar 25, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #10,499 of 25,832
Let’s see if we can help!
Everyone post your opinion
Would you recommend a Dave or a Blu2/Hugo2 if either one was in your budget? Does it depend on your end game? Blu2/Dave or Blu2/Dave and Hugo2 in a secondary system or Blu2/Hugo2?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #10,500 of 25,832

Have you auditioned the LCD-4, perhaps worth a try..? If your looking for warm-ish sound, they work very well with Dave.

As regard to power conditioning, I found greater difference with a speaker set up, in fact when I removed my power conditioning it was so bad I gave up...!
With a headphone setup direct from Dave, try some Supra mains shielded mains cable. Always try before you buy and make your own decision.

I do not have the demo Blu2 yet so unable advise on power supply, but for me speaker System (power first) as the result with Dave (alone) was conclusive IMO, headphone not so sure..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back