CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 1, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #1,186 of 25,909
Hate to say this, almost everything sound great on Dave :p

Quote:
I recently happened to listen to Fiona joy dsd128 signature solo songs on Hugo. pure joy ! wonder how will it sound with Dave ?

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #1,188 of 25,909
Thank you again for your invaluable insight.

I have only a few hours with DAVE, but the sheer visceral power of this devices ability to convey the raw emotive nuances of the human voice utterly astounds me. Ordinarily I am not so easily pleased as my personal Head-Fi inventory includes the Goldmund Telos (HPA) and Wells Audio Headtrip - with commensurate quality DACs. So this far in my journey I'm mightily impressed and just want to luxuriate in the sonic nirvana of DAVE.

I am happy for you that you reacted your Sonic nirvâna. Are you using DAVE internal headphone amp or do you connect DAVE to your Wells Audio Headtrip ? What headphone are you using ?

Jan 1, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #1,189 of 25,909
bmichels thank you for your kind words and Happy New Year.

I've briefly used the Headtrip with DAVE and it does impart a touch more muscularity to the sound-scape, so bass sounds meatier and the mid-range a smidgen more dynamic, but it's not a more transparent or analytical sound but rather the music is more `FORTE'. I'm primarily using my HD800 and TH600, both sound excellent with DAVE. 

I find it astonishing that DAVE combines a superlative DAC/amp in a relatively transportable package and it's great fun taking DAVE from room to room with just a laptop, cables and headphones. Great stuff.   

Quote:
I am happy for you that you reacted your Sonic nirvâna. Are you using DAVE internal headphone amp or do you connect DAVE to your Wells Audio Headtrip ? What headphone are you using ?

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #1,190 of 25,909
it's great fun taking DAVE from room to room with just a laptop, cables and headphones. Great stuff.

Agree.  I wish DAVE was battery operated like the TT (even if it needs a BIG battery, it was still possible !).  

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,191 of 25,909
Well I've been running my Dave in for a while now,and i have to say I've never heard red book cd sound so great.Just got a few questions for Rob or chord to answer if you'd be so kind.
1 what are the 4x dx digital outputs for?
2 How much power does dave use in standby?
3 Do you know when the blu transport upgrade will be available,and much it will cost?
Happy new year to all.

Jan 1, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,192 of 25,909
Well I've been running my Dave in for a while now,and i have to say I've never heard red book cd sound so great.Just got a few questions for Rob or chord to answer if you'd be so kind.
3 Do you know when the blu transport upgrade will be available,and much it will cost?
Happy new year to all.

blu transport upgrade ???  where does this info/rumor comes from ? 

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,193 of 25,909
Happy new year to all.

The DX digital output is for a future product whic would probably be an amplifier which can take 786kHz 24-bit? Signal coming from the DX digital output. This was discussed a couple of times by Rob Watts in this thread. I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions. But I'm not sure what more upgrades Blu transport needs. I suspect the next upgrade should be a DSX1000 type product without the DAC as there are many advantages to computer audio. That said, people can now buy Aurender or Auralic or SOTM products already to pair with their Chord DAVE.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #1,194 of 25,909
Happy new year to all.

BLU 2... The Force Awakens !   

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #1,195 of 25,909
Finally HEK is here!

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #1,196 of 25,909
Finally HEK is here!

I am glad for you that you have a new toy :wink:      please let us know if it synergies well with DAVE.  

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #1,197 of 25,909
Very happy for you. Please comment on the synergy between the HEK and DAVE. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Finally HEK is here!

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #1,198 of 25,909
I own HD800, beyer T1, LCD2v2, and of course the crazy HD600. I also audit the LCD3, grado p1000, g1000, pretty virgin LCD4 during Nov show. After around of buy and sell, I decided that HP is not for me. I just can't find one that play all sorts of music, high is clear and sweet, mid is right, bass have body, could portray ambient correctly. Lolz, people said I ask for too much, as I come from speaker base hifi.

Till I heard the HEK with Dave. My passion for HP comes back again. I am not saying HEK is without fault. I hope that the mid could be thicker, bass more body, the rest I am more than happy. If you think you want characteristic of HD800, LCD2, and T1, I believe HEK could be the one. And Dave drive HEK without problem at all. HEK could extract full potential of Dave is all I can say. For me I do consider pairing it with violectric 281 driving HEK in balance mode.

Bare in mid that my HEK only 8hr old and still running in stock setup. I strongly believe once I move to my main system its another story.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #1,199 of 25,909

Till I heard the HEK with Dave. My passion for HP comes back again. I am not saying HEK is without fault. I hope that the mid could be thicker, bass more body, the rest I am more than happy. If you think you want characteristic of HD800, LCD2, and T1, I believe HEK could be the one. And Dave drive HEK without problem at all. HEK could extract full potential of Dave is all I can say. For me I do consider pairing it with violectric 281 driving HEK in balance mode.

If you're using the HE1000 with DAVE, then I really think you should get the most out of your investment, and run DAVE into one of these, with a headphone amp afterwards:

I'm confident Rob would approve
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #1,200 of 25,909
I was talking to Jude about the jitter test on the APX 555, and I wanted some plots of Jitter for Dave. So here is jitter test using the USB input:

This is with 48 kHz sample rate, using the J-test which is a test for data related jitter.

Any data related jitter would be multiples of 250 Hz either side of the 12 kHz signal - as you can see there is none whatsoever.

The -170 dB noise floor represents jitter of 100 fS (0.1pS) RMS, so we can safely say that data related jitter is less than 0.1 pS.

You can just make out mains related jitter at 0.2 pS - this probably comes from the AP ADC as its always there.

The fringing on the 12 kHz below -150 dB is down to the APX555 FFT's Hann window, it is not LF jitter from Dave.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back