CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 23, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #10,922 of 25,883
and one of which is (according to Chord) set to be a landmark product in the company's history.

Davina?

If it has an influence on the quality of recordings, Davina would indeed be their landmark product I reckon.

We’ve been told there are Chord DACs used in some studios but this would be a much bigger leap into the pro world, potentially. Guessing is fun :)

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #10,925 of 25,883
So I got a DAVE for an in home trial from my local dealer and I can see why people love it with a Utopia pairing as the clarity and power/dynamism is really like being at the live event. I can picture in my mind clearly the emotion in the artist's voice. My question is for a budget option would you guys say the Hugo 2 is a worthy brother to the DAVE for almost 1/5 of the price? I plan on setting up a new two channel system w/ Omega Alnicio speakers w/ a Vidar monoblock.

I personally did not enjoy the DAVE w/ the Auteur - the Auteur gets too dynamic/bright and takes away the neutral laid back nature of it in favor of an aggressive sound albeit very realistic. I prefer this to be euphonic (Hugo 1/Hugo TT?)

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #10,926 of 25,883
Apr 23, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #10,927 of 25,883
I have my £5 ready but I think it’s safe.

I reckon a power amp is most likely, and a Davina (though whether there is much of a pro market for a two channel ADC I don’t know..), hopefully nothing involving the software in the Poly because one train wreck is enough, some kind of M Scaler for all those eagerly waiting BNC sockets on the Qutest, Hugo2 and DAVE .. these would be landmark products. Nothing for £5 I bet.

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #10,928 of 25,883
So I got a DAVE for an in home trial from my local dealer and I can see why people love it with a Utopia pairing as the clarity and power/dynamism is really like being at the live event. I can picture in my mind clearly the emotion in the artist's voice. My question is for a budget option would you guys say the Hugo 2 is a worthy brother to the DAVE for almost 1/5 of the price? I plan on setting up a new two channel system w/ Omega Alnicio speakers w/ a Vidar monoblock.

I personally did not enjoy the DAVE w/ the Auteur - the Auteur gets too dynamic/bright and takes away the neutral laid back nature of it in favor of an aggressive sound albeit very realistic. I prefer this to be euphonic (Hugo 1/Hugo TT?)

If you going to use an external amp to drive the Omegas (which I would never do), then Hugo 2 or Quest (need preamp functions). Drop the amp, directly drive the Omegas, will make a huge difference in resolution, add a REL for sub. DAVE preferable but if you don't mind the sound signature of batteries then Hugo 2 is also an option. Can always resell the Hugo 2 and upgrade if your not satisfied.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #10,929 of 25,883
If you going to use an external amp to drive the Omegas (which I would never do), then Hugo 2 or Quest (need preamp functions). Drop the amp, directly drive the Omegas, will make a huge difference in resolution, add a REL for sub. DAVE preferable but if you don't mind the sound signature of batteries then Hugo 2 is also an option. Can always resell the Hugo 2 and upgrade if your not satisfied.

That might work directly driving the Omegas as I'm also considering some Cornwalls or Heritage III's which are even more efficient.

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #10,930 of 25,883

Alas, if you have that sort of reaction to the DAVE, you'll be getting a Blu2 sooner than you suspect. If you're considering a DAVE,. I would suggest getting a Hugo2 + Blu2 now and drive your Omega's direct with a level of magic that exceeds even the DAVE (see links below for ~20k words on why :wink: Later, if you want more oomph to your speakers, upgrade to a DAVE and take the Hugo2 to the office or on the road with you (or wait for the future Chord digital amps to become available).

From a budget perspective, I suspect after you hear either the DAVE or Hugo2 direct to your Omegas, the Vidar will quickly go up for sale to help offset the costs (since moving to Chord DACs and my Voxativ and Omega speakers, I've sold both my Classe and Benchmark amps) The downside is the rationalizations you'll be making to justify the $8-10k for the Blu2 :wink:

Apr 23, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #10,931 of 25,883
M Scaler.

The digital amp is a much safer bet. Maybe even with a balanced headphone output? Personally, I have no use for this. I would much prefer a stand-alone M Scaler!

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #10,932 of 25,883
Hi

I liked the review, however, it has been couple of years and things may have changed.

I am looking for a DAC and the two products I am interested is Yggy and Dave. I know its a big gap between the two in price but I have to limit the options otherwise the purchase will be on hold forever.

Has anyone compared Schiit Yggy on Analog2 with Dave given all other variables remain constant?

I read great things about Analog2 in general. So also I can easily acquire a Yggy whereas finding Dave for in-home demo is near to impossible, unless anyone here could send some pointers. So banking on review to influence my decision.

Thx
P
Also consider a Holo Audio KTE Spring L3 sold by Kitsune Hifi (Holo Audio USA). It's in the league of Hugo2 and Yggy and it sounds fantastic.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #10,934 of 25,883
Apr 23, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #10,935 of 25,883
(though whether there is much of a pro market for a two channel ADC I don’t know..

True but even if Davina starts with 2-ch (we don’t know) it doesn’t need to end with 2-ch.

Plus if it’s the best performance ADC on the planet there may be opportunities in measurement tools - possibly?

Rob's future active speakers (with analogue inputs for those still need that)

Davina could open so many opportunities, landmark indeed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back