CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #10,366 of 25,902
My beloved B&W 802d3's are sitting to the side of the room and posted for sale (*sniff*), and my Classe and Benchmark amps are sold already...hopefully that answers your question :wink:

Still tweaking/tuning everything, starting speaker cables this week, still more positioning experiments to do, power tweaks in the queue. Delighted so far, not missing the B&Ws in the slightest, huge step up from the Omegas. I only have these things partially dialed in right now, so there is more to squeeze out of them. Taking notes and keeping a journal of the process and impressions, so I'll be sure to write up when I get to a stable point.
Please keep us posted and let everyone know what tweaks brought you to Nirvana. Also, tell where you purchased the speakers system and what you paid. Will be saving up for it. “huge step up from the Omegas” ... they better be at 55 x the price! Also, could you easily hear a major difference between DAVE alone and DAVE + Blu with your Alnico’s versus the Pi?

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #10,368 of 25,902
What’s the name of the album?

The album is called Nightfall by Till Bronner and Diete Ilg. It is very high on the Qobuz download and streaming chart, maybe because of Head-Fi purchases?

Nightfall.jpg

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #10,372 of 25,902
Does anyone know what is Dave’s XLR output voltage?

Maximum, or in line level mode? For line level mode (DACmode) it’s 6Vrms, double the SE output. You can always use Pre-amp mode which is the same circuit but with volume control to decrease it if you want to. I decrease mine to -6dB on the volume to feed my Liquid Gold XLR input to be safe regarding overloading the amp.

Also be aware that XLR is really intended to feed an amp as it can only output 50mA of Current.

The max for the XLR is 12Vrms, which is double the SE 6Vrms.

Yes Dave has same headphone OP as line level like Hugo. XLR is up to 12v RMS but is not intended to drive headphones. RCA is up to 6v RMS.

Rob

Edit: aaaaand Rob beat me to it, lol.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #10,374 of 25,902
Set to -3dB its 6V RMS + and -. Clipping is at 13.6V RMS. OP impedance is 33 ohms...

Maximum, or in line level mode? For line level mode (DACmode) it’s 6Vrms, double the SE output. You can always use Pre-amp mode which is the same circuit but with volume control to decrease it if you want to. I decrease mine to -6dB on the volume to feed my Liquid Gold XLR input to be safe regarding overloading the amp.

Also be aware that XLR is really intended to feed an amp as it can only output 50mA of Current.

The max for the XLR is 12Vrms, which is double the SE 6Vrms.

Edit: aaaaand Rob beat me to it, lol.
Thanks both!
Yes the intention would be to feed an amp.
My amp can take max 3.2Vrms or 6.4Vrms with attenuator on.
So I could run the Dave at line level only switching the attenuator on or alternatively in pre amp mode at lower volume levels.

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #10,378 of 25,902
Easier with tidal to find an album name?
“Beyond the Missouri Sky” is the album name! (Or “Nightfall”for the one we were originally talking about)
Thanks found it! Since you like double bass I really like Rob Wasserman. Try his album Trios, Dustin off the Bass if your into Chicago Blues

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #10,379 of 25,902
Thanks both!
Yes the intention would be to feed an amp.
My amp can take max 3.2Vrms or 6.4Vrms with attenuator on.
So I could run the Dave at line level only switching the attenuator on or alternatively in pre amp mode at lower volume levels.
Actually, if you have no other source, the best theoretical performance you can get is to run RCA in from DAVE without the attenuators on. And you should try to find the optimal level for your preamp analog volume control which is usually midway. Optimal means at that setting, there is the least distortion, perfect channel balance (volume-wise) although without actual measurements, it’s actually close to impossible to do by ear. And then you would use DAVE’s digital volume control to maximize transparency of your system, assuming that even at maximum -3dB, DAVE is loud enough for your setup. Of course bypassing external headphone amps and using DAVE would even be more transparent but that’s a different issue.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #10,380 of 25,902
Yes - hopefully see my posts in a few years time about new DAC developements
Rob
How much more time does the DAVE have? The QBD76, Hugo, and 2Qute were replaced by a newer model in an average of approximately 1,500 days. The DAVE has been available for over 1,000 days and I’m wondering how much more life it has before we will see a new version? I imagine most DAVE owners would prefer to see a firmware update than the sting of an all new version.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back