CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 9, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #23,341 of 25,919
Its fascinating how we can still find ways to improve the DAVE after all this time.

I concur that the Farad supply mod adds to the heft and presence of the DAVE in a very natural way
I was sceptical too.. but after i heard Farads there was no denying it changes things.
And i knew i had to further explore this.

But it wouldnt be me if i wouldnt try to modify it in my own way.. and thats adding the buffering as close to the OP as i can and thats straight on the final 12v regulators

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #23,342 of 25,919
Dec 9, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #23,343 of 25,919
I was sceptical too.. but after i heard Farads there was no denying it changes things.

But it wouldnt be me if i wouldnt try to modify it in my own way.. and thats adding the buffering as close to the OP as i can and thats straight on the final 12v regulators
Have you thought about opening a business for modding Dave’s?

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #23,344 of 25,919
And I thought you decided on selling Dave and buying the Lina stack, no?
That was the plan, but I kept having a nagging feeling that it's not worth the cost for the improvement.
An opportunity came up for these from a dealer and I took a chance, even though they were slightly more than the Lina, it was still a good deal considering the degree of the improvement. If not, I would've just sold them off. This is something else entirely.

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #23,345 of 25,919
That was the plan, but I kept having a nagging feeling that it's not worth the cost for the improvement.
An opportunity came up for these from a dealer and I took a chance, even though they were slightly more than the Lina, it was still a good deal considering the degree of the improvement. If not, I would've just sold them off. This is something else entirely.
And are enjoying them?

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #23,346 of 25,919
And are enjoying them?
Yeah, though it's kind of bittersweet. I remember 3 years ago thinking it doesn't get much better than a Mojo, until a Dave blew my mind. This is that kind of transformational upgrade yet again. Didn't expect it to be and it make me sad that it costs this much.

Dec 9, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #23,347 of 25,919
Yeah, though it's kind of bittersweet. I remember 3 years ago thinking it doesn't get much better than a Mojo, until a Dave blew my mind. This is that kind of transformational upgrade yet again. Didn't expect it to be and it make me sad that it costs this much.
Have you heard a dave with a psu treatment like Farads or SJ once?

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #23,348 of 25,919

Are you in a position to share the details on this?

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #23,350 of 25,919
Are you in a position to share the details on this?

Thanks!
Shure, i will post in my scaler thread what i did exactly.

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #23,351 of 25,919
Have you heard a dave with a psu treatment like Farads or SJ once?
Haven't heard those, but an engineer friend built a custom Dave psu for another friend. Months of trials and prototypes. Ended up having a 3.5k bom. It sounded better than the stock Dave for sure, but I found my power stuff + stock psu better. That said, I didn't have them all side by side.
The comparison with Lina was done with the power regenerator plugged into a power filter (5k worth of power treatment). Without them , or even just the Genesis one, it's wasn't even in the same conversation. I do have bad power and everything plugged into the same circuit though. Not much of a problem for the dCS stuff.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #23,352 of 25,919
On Hf main page now a Weiss 50x review Here and comparison notes with Dave.

It says the Weiss performs better on impact and resolution in the low-mid freq. being more linear in its resolution.

Well the description matches exactly what i now hear my buffercap mod did.. Giving Dave more focus specially on the low-mid area.
Coming perfectly in harmony with its mid and high frequency

I will start writing my howto..

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #23,355 of 25,919
Well the description matches exactly what i now hear my buffercap mod did.. Giving Dave more focus specially on the low-mid area.
Coming perfectly in harmony with its mid and high frequency
How much do you think what you hear is a benefit to driving headphones? I never use headphones and connect my Dave either to active speakers or a power amp driving speakers.

Having said that, installing the Sean Jacobs cap board inside the Dave gives a big boost in sound quality in my system and I would not want to take it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back