Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #4,051 of 4,904
Ha ha ha not retired at all

I do think though that Chord are a company with long history and i have no doubts that it’s really a million taps. It’s easy to hear it.

You are wrong about dragonfly vs Mojo.

The mojo is better, but clearly you hear music differently so that’s ok

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #4,053 of 4,904
Ha ha ha not retired at all

You’re just one of these ill informed posters but I understand your points.

I do think though that Chord are a company with long history and i have no doubts that it’s really a million taps. It’s easy to hear it.

You are wrong about dragonfly vs Mojo.

The mojo is better, but clearly you hear music differently do that’s ok

Edit.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #4,057 of 4,904
I’m happy that there is a mid level M Scaler and hope Chord is developing a fix for Blu2!

I too would like to see a factory installable “upgrade” for Blu2, which as far as I can see involves the internal ferrite fix and galvanic isolation of the USB input. But I don’t know if this is feasible given the different circuit boards and form factors of Blu2 and HMS. Maybe the Blu2 boards could be upgraded for new units and fitted to old ones. I would ask that Chord gives the matter serious consideration, and would expect a charge for the work.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #4,059 of 4,904

I have seen Mahler's 8th performed at the RAH before with Thomas Søndergård conducting. This one never gets old.

Good to hear and see that you were there.
I hope you enjoyed the performance live.
Did you also attend Beethoven's 9th the night before?
I heard the 8th and some of the other Mahler symponies there the year they did a full Mahler cycle at the Proms with mainly Gergiev and the LSO performing.
But judging from the broadcast last night this was also a good one.
And although BBC Radio 3 streaming quality is not as HD as they hype it, it was nice that they had not fallen for the temptation of spotmiking the soloist too closely,Which is a fault many commercial recordings of this mighty work suffer more from than the broadcast which kept them quite nicely balanced as integral parts of the ensemble even with quite a bit of both width and depth captured in the miking via my electrostatics.
But of course I wish I had been there live.
I kind of wonder what an M-scaler might do to BBC Radio 3 sound quality?
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #4,060 of 4,904
I too would like to see a factory installable “upgrade” for Blu2, which as far as I can see involves the internal ferrite fix and galvanic isolation of the USB input. But I don’t know if this is feasible given the different circuit boards and form factors of Blu2 and HMS. Maybe the Blu2 boards could be upgraded for new units and fitted to old ones. I would ask that Chord gives the matter serious consideration, and would expect a charge for the work.

Why don't you ask Chord? And encourage other Blu2 owners to ask the same question. The USB input was added to the Blu2 late in it's design phase as a result of public pressure from customers; it is possible also that the stand-alone M Scaler exists, or at least has been brought forward, as a result of public pressure from customers, so Chord do listen at least through one ear. If enough people ask persuasively enough they might get a result. A new USB input might be very difficult, but there might be a solution to the RF issue using ferrites internally because this has been done on the M Scaler. But what do I know.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #4,062 of 4,904
Why don't you ask Chord? And encourage other Blu2 owners to ask the same question. The USB input was added to the Blu2 late in it's design phase as a result of public pressure from customers; it is possible also that the stand-alone M Scaler exists, or at least has been brought forward, as a result of public pressure from customers, so Chord do listen at least through one ear. If enough people ask persuasively enough they might get a result. A new USB input might be very difficult, but there might be a solution to the RF issue using ferrites internally because this has been done on the M Scaler. But what do I know.

This forum is a way of raising the issue with Chord, and a convenient place for anyone to support it. It may not be possible, but I’d at least ask Chord to think about it.

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #4,063 of 4,904
I think your comments show a certain lack of engineering understanding... smaller and cheaper than Hugo MScaler?

Clearly some people always complain no matter what is given to them....

Who knows one day even my wishes for both truly portable and cheaper will be granted. Rob himself said in Singapore that he would like HUGO 3 or 4 to have an M-Scaler already onboard.
Like Rob I travel a lot, around 8 months a year actually. But unlike him who only has to carry his HUGO2 and M-scaler I also carry my quite big and bulky pro camera equipment in my carry-on l backpack.
I am not aware of having been given anything here.
Did you get an M-scaler for free?
Cheers Christer

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #4,064 of 4,904
Im not sure I understand: does the m-scaler sound better than blue2 with ferrites? If not, what's the big deal. If so, I agree.
Jeff

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #4,065 of 4,904

The isolation of the USB port, as @Rob Watts explained was only because he ran into an issue with the HMS itself which doesn't happen with Blu. He was seeing dropouts occurring within HMS itself in some countries. He didn't add it because it would affect downstream sound quality to the DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back