Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 2, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #1,921 of 4,904
Rob. Questions

1) Can I use this to upsample to a non Dave DAC
And what rates will it out to... My DAC does up to DXD and DSD128...

2) Will this work for hi res files as well? I've basically ripped all my Redbook files to a server by now and the rest are native hi-res...

Yes it will work with other DAC's; Blu 2 has a single BNC OP that works at 192 kHz. If your DAC supports dual data mode, then you have 192, 384, or 768 available on the dual BNC.

Hi res gives the similar SQ improvement as RBCD (whilst using 768k); except older recordings you notice a big change in warmth; but this is less noticeable with modern recordings (irrespective of sample rate).

I don't know what the improvements would be without using a pulse array DAC - obviously, a Hugo 2 or a Dave will reconstruct the analogue much more accurately, as the noise shapers run at 104 MHz, (more usually 3 or 6 MHz) and the filtering is greater (a further 256FS WTA filter followed by 3 stages at 2048 FS). R2R outputs are very clunky, as the OP is glitchy and limited to only 384 kHz or 768 kHz.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #1,922 of 4,904
I did find that 2M sounded better than 1M, and 5M was possibly worse than 2M. But we are talking subtle differences here...

For a moment I thought this was about number of taps!!

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #1,924 of 4,904
Yes it will work with other DAC's; Blu 2 has a single BNC OP that works at 192 kHz. If your DAC supports dual data mode, then you have 192, 384, or 768 available on the dual BNC.

Hi res gives the similar SQ improvement as RBCD (whilst using 768k); except older recordings you notice a big change in warmth; but this is less noticeable with modern recordings (irrespective of sample rate).

I don't know what the improvements would be without using a pulse array DAC - obviously, a Hugo 2 or a Dave will reconstruct the analogue much more accurately, as the noise shapers run at 104 MHz, (more usually 3 or 6 MHz) and the filtering is greater (a further 256FS WTA filter followed by 3 stages at 2048 FS). R2R outputs are very clunky, as the OP is glitchy and limited to only 384 kHz or 768 kHz.

Hi Rob, the DAC has 2 x AES/EBU inputs not sure if that means it supports du AES but claims to support up to 24/384, DXD and DSD128...

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #1,926 of 4,904
IMG_20171021_1814115.jpeg
So should i wait to buy DAVE and BLU2 as a set for my Naim 272? Or can i start with Blu2?
We have listened to Bluedave and Bluehugo last week, directly to the speakers. See the trial set up in the photo. My neighbour has bought Hugo2 and AKM, Blu and DAVE are mine. The magic is in the double line. I could live with Bluhugo, but not without the double connection. I can try this every time in my home. When I switch to the single input, the whole stage collapses, the sound gets more confused, sounds more traditional digital, even at 352khz. So I think Blu2 without DAVE or Hugo2 or the double line makes no sense.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,927 of 4,904
Hugo2 has dual coaxial on the coaxial input, so one just needs the proper wiring on the cable and plug. Be interested to read impressions with a proper connection.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #1,928 of 4,904
Hugo2 has dual coaxial on the coaxial input, so one just needs the proper wiring on the cable and plug. Be interested to read impressions with a proper connection.
This IS the dual connection, there are 2 fine silver core coax cables from Blu2 to Hugo (black/yello). There is an USB from AK to Blu, the yello optical is a direct connection to Hugo, but much worse.

Nov 2, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,929 of 4,904

We have listened to Bluedave and Bluehugo last week, directly to the speakers. See the trial set up in the photo. My neighbour has bought Hugo2 and AKM, Blu and DAVE are mine. The magic is in the double line. I could live with Bluhugo, but not without the double connection. I can try this every time in my home. When I switch to the single input, the whole stage collapses, the sound gets more confused, sounds more traditional digital, even at 352khz. So I think Blu2 without DAVE or Hugo2 or the double line makes no sense.

Hi: Would be interesting what your initial impression is of BluDave vs BluHugo2 vs standalone Dave? Ie is BluHugo2 a close alternative to the others and what is the perceived order of sound quality based on your tests with your equipment, preferences etc?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #1,930 of 4,904
Hi: Would be interesting what your initial impression is of BluDave vs BluHugo2 vs standalone Dave? Ie is BluHugo2 a close alternative to the others and what is the perceived order of sound quality based on your tests with your equipment, preferences etc?
It is difficult to say more than in post 1626. I bought DAVE with a friend more than a year ago, when we had evaluated four DAC's. By the way the most disappointing but nevertheless expensive DAC was the Merlot. We thought we could not do any better, until we listened to Bludave this spring. Since then I have never listened to standalone DAVE any more, but I can demonstrate the sound, when I select just one coax input. I would choose Bluhugo over standalone DAVE. My friend's reaction is more important than words. Because he is a bit stingy, he needed a long time to spend the money for DAVE. When I took Blue2 to him half a year later, he listened to a CD for a couple of minutes, took the wallet out of his pocket and said: "O.K. I will buy it and I thank you for the new CD collection!
I have yet to evaluate BluHugo2 against BluDAVE in my home, but it will definitely not be night and day.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #1,931 of 4,904
This IS the dual connection, there are 2 fine silver core coax cables from Blu2 to Hugo (black/yello). There is an USB from AK to Blu, the yello optical is a direct connection to Hugo, but much worse.

My apologies, I misread the post. :)

Nov 3, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #1,932 of 4,904

I’ve been using Blu2 with Hugo2 in dual data mode excellent results I was limited to 2 rg179 coax to fit a Neutric stereo 3.5mm connector though Marc

Nov 3, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #1,933 of 4,904
I’ve been using Blu2 with Hugo2 in dual data mode excellent results I was limited to 2 rg179 coax to fit a Neutric stereo 3.5mm connector though Marc

IMG_2437 2.jpeg

I used this solution for Bluhugo. Because the long cables are for DAVE, there are adapters BNC/rca as well.
When dedicated to Hugo I would order cables with rca plugs, because I have not seen an adapter double BNC female to 3.5mm plug yet.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #1,935 of 4,904

What is meant by 352khz btw? Is this PCM signal and if so at what bit depth 24 or 16? Is this supportable with non chord DACs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back