Chord Electronics - Blu Mk. 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 29, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #1,906 of 4,904
I have been listening to a good many speakers lately and also attended the the Hifi Show in Windsor last week. I was reminded how bad the sound at shows can be. Strangely a good 70% of material used to demo equipment was digital and not analogue. Perhaps digital is being more widely accepted now as the equal of analogue. The only thing is, they were playing far inferior front ends than BluDave. There were setups where very good speakers were matched to poor amps and chairs placed so close to the speakers that the image wasn’t properly formed. I am sure some manufacturers would cry if they heard it.

Anyway, it’s been an interesting process, acclimatising to the latest offerings of leading speaker designs. The first thing I noticed was that some of the new materials used in tweeter design were a great improvement. Materials like Diamond and Beryllium produce a much more natural and smooth sound. There is more detail and yet they are ‘less’ harsh. This may all seem off topic but I believe BluDave tests the limits of conventional mainstream tweeters like soft dome and aluminium dome varieties beyond their limits. Soft domes remain soft but are rather dead and slow so they hide detail and hide frequency breakup which occurs around 10khz. It’s a pleasing sound but hides much of what BluDave has to offer. Aluminium is claimed by some manufacturers with their own proprietary designs to delay breakup to 30 or even 40khz but I have tested what is widely considered to be one of the best of these designs and with BluDave Aluminium is less detailed than say a ribbon and far less natural or smooth. Aluminium sounds grainy and rough by comparison to ribbon.

Some manufacturers have superb designs I think but are just using materials which introduce limiting capabilities. I am sure they will seek out improved materials in due course and no doubt raise their prices!

Though I have yet to find a speaker worthy of upgrade, I have already concluded so far that Beryllium, Diamond, Ribbon and (I am assuming) Electrostatic also have the speed, resolution and overall smoothness to do justice to the natural smooth and detailed sound of the BluDave combination.

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #1,907 of 4,904
And presumably you have tried plugging the pair of BNC cables into the other pair of inputs in the Dave which has been reported on here as curing the drop out issue. Maybe I’m not on the same mission as you but if something can ce cured as simply as that then for me it comes in the no big deal category.
I have only auditioned BLU/DAVE at a dealer in Singapore and I honestly have no idea how it was connected. All I could see was that rbcd was upsampled to 705,6khz and sounded better than I have ever before heard rbcd via an old DGG disc released in 1984.
I also have a question regarding DSD, how does BLU/DAVE play DSD?
Native or not native? Are all 1Million taps employed?
I know that with DAVE alone there are fewer taps with dsd than with pcm. Does the same apply with BLU/DAVE playing dsd files?
Cheers Christer

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #1,908 of 4,904
I have only auditioned BLU/DAVE at a dealer in Singapore and I honestly have no idea how it was connected. All I could see was that rbcd was upsampled to 705,6khz and sounded better than I have ever before heard rbcd via an old DGG disc released in 1984.
I also have a question regarding DSD, how does BLU/DAVE play DSD?
Native or not native? Are all 1Million taps employed?
I know that with DAVE alone there are fewer taps with dsd than with pcm. Does the same apply with BLU/DAVE playing dsd files?
Cheers Christer

DSD is converted to PCM by the Blu II.

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,909 of 4,904
DSD is converted to PCM by the Blu II.
Thanks,
but I am still a bit confused regarding DSD via BLU/DAVE, knowing that both HUGO and DAVE also convert to pcm, upsample and then re-convert back to DSD for final output if I understand things correctly?
I have played just one native DSD 64 recording via BLU/DAVE so far, and the display on DAVE read DSD 64 and the setting on DAVE was DSD Plus.
Did setting DSD plus bypass BLU, which was connected as far as I know?
Or does BLU/DAVE also output the final playback file as DSD?
The conditions were not ideal but I still heard a clear difference between the rbcd layer of the same recording playing via BLU/DAVE and what I maybe wrongly assumed was the native files playing via BLU/DAVE?
Or did I just hear the native file played by DAVE?
Anyway there was a quite clearly audible difference betwen the rbcd layer and native file.
Cheers Christer

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #1,910 of 4,904
Thanks,
but I am still a bit confused regarding DSD via BLU/DAVE, knowing that both HUGO and DAVE also convert to pcm, upsample and then re-convert back to DSD for final output if I understand things correctly?
I have played just one native DSD 64 recording via BLU/DAVE so far, and the display on DAVE read DSD 64 and the setting on DAVE was DSD Plus.
Did setting DSD plus bypass BLU, which was connected as far as I know?
Or does BLU/DAVE also output the final playback file as DSD?
The conditions were not ideal but I still heard a clear difference between the rbcd layer of the same recording playing via BLU/DAVE and what I maybe wrongly assumed was the native files playing via BLU/DAVE?
Or did I just hear the native file played by DAVE?
Anyway there was a quite clearly audible difference betwen the rbcd layer and native file.
Cheers Christer

With my system, when I play a DSD file through Blu2, I get 704kHz on DAVE. It doesn’t matter whether it’s in PCM Plus or DSD Plus mode because DAVE is not doing the first stage upsampling.

Oct 29, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #1,911 of 4,904
With my system, when I play a DSD file through Blu2, I get 704kHz on DAVE. It doesn’t matter whether it’s in PCM Plus or DSD Plus mode because DAVE is not doing the first stage upsampling.

That was my understanding also. Because everything coming out of the Blu II is PCM, there’s never any need to set Dave to DSD Plus.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #1,912 of 4,904
Hey guys,

I'm sure its been mentioned before but the threads so long that I hope I don't get blasted for asking.
What length of bnc cables are you guys using for the Dave/BluMKII? Was considering having a 0.5m length to keep the cables tidy.
Thanks in advance...

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #1,913 of 4,904
I use Chord Sarum Digital 1m and have never had a glitch but then again I only use Blu II with CD. I don’t stream from a hard disk.

Oct 31, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #1,914 of 4,904
Hey guys,

I'm sure its been mentioned before but the threads so long that I hope I don't get blasted for asking.
What length of bnc cables are you guys using for the Dave/BluMKII? Was considering having a 0.5m length to keep the cables tidy.
Thanks in advance...

I found .7M to work well with DAVE on one shelf and BLU2 on another. In my setup that much length allows he cable to turn nicely for the connections

Oct 31, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #1,915 of 4,904
According to the manual, they should be no longer than 1m, but then Rob said longer lengths such as 5m, “might” be better due to RFI rejection. Some interpreted this as meaning that he was saying longer cables definitely were better. Then ferrite clamps took over. I’ve tried I’m and 5m, and noticed no difference, but then I have cloth ears. As with so many things, I don’t think there’s a consensus on any optimum length, other than that, as a general rule, cables shouldn’t be longer than required, and should probably be kept short. It’s certainly cheaper that way.

Nov 1, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #1,919 of 4,904
I did find that 2M sounded better than 1M, and 5M was possibly worse than 2M. But we are talking subtle differences here...

Rob. Questions

1) Can I use this to upsample to a non Dave DAC
And what rates will it out to... My DAC does up to DXD and DSD128...

2) Will this work for hi res files as well? I've basically ripped all my Redbook files to a server by now and the rest are native hi-res...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back